Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 15th-17th 2024 Arctic Blast/Snow Event

John1122

2 minutes ago, Daniel Boone said:

Amazing the difference between you and there irt snow and cold most of the time. 

There's pavement and elevation differences that usually play a big factor. If you zoom in on the street lights you can see how hard it's snowing. The white on white makes it hard to see otherwise. 

• Like 3

I can say it’s basically been snowing for 24 hours now.

Same here. Though now I'm getting sleet and freezing rain in between the snow showers on the radar. The gaps in the radar is just lighter precip which for me is freezing rain and sleet. Then a heavier snow shower come overhead and big flakes for a bit. It's weird because I'm used to mixing being at the start of an event, not the end of an event while the temp is actually falling through the mid 20's.

3 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Not as much as it sounds like you have had. I’ve never gotten above maybe dime or penny size flakes at best. 

Since around dark it just hit the gas here. The feed has been coming from around your area or maybe a little west of you.

My rates all night and day were never close to what I've had the last 90 minutes. It just had snowed on frozen ground for 20 straight hours in the lower 20s, so i didn't need rates to pile up a decent accumulation. 

• Like 2

I’ve always wondered why my amounts have been less than others around me. Though maybe it was a defective Harbor Freight tape measure??? But seeing some totals of others around me I pulled up a topography map of Knox Co. My house is right at the red
mark. Could it be that I’m getting some down sloping from this little ridge to the west? For the record……I’m sitting at 6.75” right now.

Edit to add: there’s about a 200ft elevation difference from the highest point of that ridge to my house

0a79dbfdce929a628002475cbec78182.png

9 minutes ago, Greyhound said:

I’ve always wondered why my amounts have been less than others around me. Though maybe it was a defective Harbor Freight tape measure??? But seeing some totals of others around me I pulled up a topography map of Knox Co. My house is right at the red
mark. Could it be that I’m getting some down sloping from this little ridge to the west? For the record……I’m sitting at 6.75” right now.

Edit to add: there’s about a 200ft elevation difference from the highest point of that ridge to my house

0a79dbfdce929a628002475cbec78182.png

The rulers I bought for this literally were 12 inch rulers that were near 12.5 inches long, so your tape could be off. That close to a ridge shouldn't cause downsloping and I'm for sure 200 feet of it would matter. I've actually saw people who live near the ridge get extra snow from NW flow as the snow it generates spills over the mountain to nearby areas just on the back side.

• Like 3

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic