Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 15th-17th 2024 Arctic Blast/Snow Event

John1122

3 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

And it is still going in eastern areas, correct?

kind of but no not really. The front doesnt really push far enough. the line of purple on the snow map is pretty much where the precip sets up.

Sharp cutoff. for Mountains and NE TN.

But this run is actually about 50 miles further SE than 6z.

Just now, fountainguy97 said:

kind of but no not really. The front doesnt really push far enough. the line of purple on the snow map is pretty much where the precip sets up

I just checked on Pivotal.  It had just reached this area.   Most precip was still west of us.

5 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

And it is still going in eastern areas, correct?

It's still going almost state wide still at that point. It's still going in Northern Louisiana and Southern Arkansas and it's aimed all the way to SW VA. Looks like sleet for Northern Alabama and Georgia at the end with heavy precip aimed at Chattanooa around the transition zone.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fountainguy97 said:

kind of but no not really. The front doesnt really push far enough. the line of purple on the snow map is pretty much where the precip sets up.

Sharp cutoff. for Mountains and NE TN.

But this run is actually about 50 miles further SE than 6z.

I triple checked.  The heaviest returns are to the west of us.  It hadn't reached us yet.  If forms a wave on the backside like the GFS - basically a deformation band.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

I just checked on Pivotal.  It had just reached this area.   Most precip was still west of us.

Looking at the direction and movement of the precip, I'd have guess Tri would have been under moderate/heavy returns for the next 6-12 hours due to the heavy slug of moisture aimed from Northern Alabama, through Knoxville and aimed at Tri, it the RGEM went to 96.

• Like 3

I am just starting to come to the realization that this could potentially happen... We are almost with the 3 day mark. Short range models are picking it up now. The storm today will be out of the way tonight and we should start having the energy sampled properly on the West Coast. If we can stay locked in today and tomorrow, we could have something historic. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Silas Lang said:

I am just starting to come to the realization that this could potentially happen... We are almost with the 3 day mark. Short range models are picking it up now. The storm today will be out of the way tonight and we should start having the energy sampled properly on the West Coast. If we can stay locked in today and tomorrow, we could have something historic. 

I'm hoping it's a March '22 event instead of one of the many rug pullers. I still refuse to get my hopes up too high.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, John1122 said:

I'm hoping it's a March '22 event instead of one of the many rug pullers. I still refuse to get my hopes up too high.

I actually did slightly better with the March 2022 event than December 2022 so I'll take this recent analog. Like you, I'm reserving excitement until I see the white of this storm's eyes. Lucy has the signed document in hand but she hasn't notarized it yet. 

P.S. To those whom this applies, take your work laptops home with this weekend...just in case. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, snowbird1230 said:

Beware: Mt Leconte with a 1" and Knoxville with 10"?  I don't think so...

It happens at times. Not to that extreme but this isn't about temperatures, simply about the direction of the moisture fetch. In Feb 1996 Knoxville got 12-18 inches and LeConte got 4-6.

• Like 5

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic