joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 13-17 (and beyond?) Cold Wave

Geoboy645

1 hour ago, Chinook said:

there may be a wind chill warning for -60

minus 60 wind chill.gif

Ferocious! I remember chills like that were more regular when I was younger. They changed the wind chill formula, but -60 would be akin to -70 - -80 range. I've been through -80 - -100 before under higher winds of 40-45 mph. Wicked stuff.

Here's the old, and new charts I saved. Need them for reference from the change.

windchill_old.gif

windchill_new.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 cold weather tips you should teach kids.

#1: NEVER, NEVER stick your tongue on a metal pole in bitter wx. ("Christmas Story" anyone :lol:) Boys at school daring others.

#2: NEVER, NEVER warm your hands when they are near frostbit/frostbit with very warm/hot water. The pain from doing this is probably the closest a man can get to what birth pain is like, and that's only for a couple minutes. It hurts something fierce. Use very lukewarm water.

Experience from my kid days. :) 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Brian D said:

#2: NEVER, NEVER warm your hands when they are near frostbit/frostbit with very warm/hot water. The pain from doing this is probably the closest a man can get to what birth pain is like, and that's only for a couple minutes. It hurts something fierce. Use very lukewarm water.

You don’t need to be anywhere near frostbite to feel that burning.  Blood vessels in the extremities always constrict in response to cold and dilate in response to heat.  The problem is very fast dilation from a constricted state is painful.  Lots of immune response signalers collect in the cold extremities because low blood flow makes them vulnerable.  Sudden return of blood activates all the accumulated immune signalers causing lots of burning, swelling, itching, and tingling.

A problem I have is finding boots sized to not cut off circulation in my toes.  I have super wide feet with a high arch and I’ve had problems with cold toes.  Sometimes thicker socks make the problem worse by squeezing my toes even tighter.  They also get very itchy after being numb for too long.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KeenerWx said:

Dogs already quite displeased. Going to be a long couple of days…

My dogs love it. -3 right now. Winds ripping. Snowing. And they’re laying in the backyard in the snow. Have to beg them to come in. :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Chicago WX said:

My dogs love it. -3 right now. Winds ripping. Snowing. And they’re laying in the backyard in the snow. Have to beg them to come in. :lol:

Yep.  My dog is the same.  Loves the cold!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Just dipped below zero to -1.  Looks like we won't be back above zero until maybe Tue afternoon briefly.

Even this far south, KIND currently at -4F. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. wind chill of -28, nice,not!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DaveNay said:

Rural DeKalb county is basically shut down today. Road crews can't keep up with the drifting. The cold is brutal.

I have heard reports of stranded and abandoned vehicles in rural areas and  that blizzard conditions prevailed overnight. 

ETA: Bottomed out at -14 at the airport, still -10 as of the 2pm observation. This will be my personal coldest daytime temp since January 1994 (-12) assuming we don't gain more than 5 degrees or so. For fun, I took an snow core yesterday from a relatively undisturbed part of my front yard and I measured 2.2" of liquid in ~12" of base.

16 hours ago, frostfern said:

You don’t need to be anywhere near frostbite to feel that burning.  Blood vessels in the extremities always constrict in response to cold and dilate in response to heat.  The problem is very fast dilation from a constricted state is painful.  Lots of immune response signalers collect in the cold extremities because low blood flow makes them vulnerable.  Sudden return of blood activates all the accumulated immune signalers causing lots of burning, swelling, itching, and tingling.

A problem I have is finding boots sized to not cut off circulation in my toes.  I have super wide feet with a high arch and I’ve had problems with cold toes.  Sometimes thicker socks make the problem worse by squeezing my toes even tighter.  They also get very itchy after being numb for too long.

Good afternoon frostfern. I agree and understand having a splay foot with a 7E width on one and 6E on the other. I was advised to purchase the largest width I could find, which was 6 E. I was also advised to buy one size larger than my actual. In my case I bought size 9. I have to say, for me and being in my 8th decade, it worked. The extra size gave me the additional width I needed and yet the shoe did not feel loose to the foot. Stay well and warm, as always ….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Temps running -1 - -2 at TH arpt, with 1-2 here near the lakeshore. TH arpt was -8 (-4 in town) this morning so temps really struggling to rise today. Snowpack helping lots with that. Mostly cloudy skies atm with 10-15 winds. If they clear, and winds go light, big temp drop coming tomorrow am.

44 minutes ago, vortex said:

Has anyone else been hearing the Frost (Ice) quakes? 
I’ve been hearing them pretty regularly since yesterday evening.   One at 1:30 am sounded like a tree fell on my roof.  

Yep. happens regular around here. Structures/trees popping. Sometimes makes me jump, especially when my deck adjusts. Every year, need to check for loose planks from screws breaking.

• Thanks 1