Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/9-1/10 Now Morphing to Less-Than-Exciting Power Cutter

Torch Tiger

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Maybe for upslope in winter?   Can't say I use HRRR that often except for maybe very short term looks at summer convection.

Maybe, I'm not in an area that has upslope potential, I find it highly erratic.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dryslot said:

PF says its good, I think it sucks.

Hey it’s hit on general trends several times this year.  To be honest, close in I do think it’s best the Euro in multiple instances this season.

Of course it’s going to have its issues, and it’s a bit too jacked on ridge top precipitation, like the 3km NAM does.

Regarding the 20”+ in narrow Appalachian area… Its doing it up here too.  Its a downslope bright band fake out the HRRR and 3km NAM are prone to do.

It’s actually pretty interesting.  They print out phantom crazy precipitation amounts just beyond the ridge lines during these strong downslope situations on SE wind… and with marginal thermals.

See it do it in PA…

IMG_7389.thumb.png.207c2abcad4829bb1c288fb7a9a9189b.png

Then it does it again up over the west slopes of the Greens.  For some reason it puts extreme precip in the downslope zones during marginal thermal profiles.  These high precip amounts are not on the Spine, they are actually located west of the barrier and I’ve seen the models do this plenty in the past.

IMG_7388.thumb.png.91f3ef34cc08f758375213f7be1c8332.png

Just like all the snow in southern PA and adjacent spots is phantom… so is this 20” on the west slope communities in VT, they’ll get 65mph wind and rain instead.

IMG_7391.thumb.png.3a6263d16b040a24444a4237c02c1a2d.png

Weird quirk in HRRR and 3km NAM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1