Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/9-1/10 Now Morphing to Less-Than-Exciting Power Cutter

Torch Tiger

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I may be off, but I am pretty sure that one screamer we all had in 96 had a line of convection where all hell broke loose with massive gusts .. despite 1-4 feet OTG prior 

I think this one is going to need convection to help mechanically mix, because I don't see a lot of support for the LLJ alone doing it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I may be off, but I am pretty sure that one screamer we all had in 96 had a line of convection where all hell broke loose with massive gusts .. despite 1-4 feet OTG prior 

It did, but there wasn't much CAD. Giant low heading due north and high to the east. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

I wouldn't be surprised if GYX's current high end map is realized. It's going to come in up here with a hell of a thump and could easily hang on to that cold air longer than expected. 

I hope so, but either way not sure about getting the sn cleared off the driveway. Slop fest at the end and looks warm enough Thurs to melt a lot of it, but near our garage barely ever gets sun, so if it freezes, it's a real pain later in the season

50-60 isn't a huge deal. Typical. The one on 12/18 was 65+ in many areas. That is when there are issues. 

Don't tell that to the folks living in Madison on the central CT coast. Trees are so close to the power lines here ....we lose power on almost every storm with over 40 mph winds.

Sent from my moto g 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, CTSkywarn said:

Don't tell that to the folks living in Madison on the central CT coast. Trees are so close to the power lines here ....we lose power on almost every storm with over 40 mph winds.

Sent from my moto g 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

We have state of the art infrastructure in CT. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

I hope so, but either way not sure about getting the sn cleared off the driveway. Slop fest at the end and looks warm enough Thurs to melt a lot of it, but near our garage barely ever gets sun, so if it freezes, it's a real pain later in the season

Really good consensus around GYX of 4-5 inches before a flip. I'm a little wary because the snow growth zones is so elevated that we can hang on to 15:1 ratios.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I bet we end up seeing a marginal risk for svr in a later outlook. The signal for such a line is becoming more impressive. Seeing the 3km so aggressive opens my eyes b/c it's usually more poo poo. Going to be fun to see carpet bomb SVR's at 4 AM Wednesday.

I don't know if the threat is widespread enough for SPC to take notice, but CSU machine learning does have a little 5% wind tickling CT. 

7 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Really good consensus around GYX of 4-5 inches before a flip. I'm a little wary because the snow growth zones is so elevated that we can hang on to 15:1 ratios.

I really don't know how much snow to expect here in SE Grafton County.  Gray just has us under a Hazard Weather Outlook.  No high wind advisory nor winter weather advisory.  We kind of stick out with all kinds of watches around us.  I'm thinking of 5-8" ?  Roof loads will become an issue if we don't warm up much tomorrow and then get another storm late week

Just now, OceanStWx said:

I don't know if the threat is widespread enough for SPC to take notice, but CSU machine learning does have a little 5% wind tickling CT. 

Yeah their focus is probably more so mid-Atlantic and Southeast. 

Looks like that line would be right along the nose of the powerful H5 jet and on the leading edge of steepening lapse rates. This scenario does have support so we'll see. 

GYX dropped a bunch of the high wind watches they had out this morning. Euro continues to show gusts only along the immediate coast. Will still cause some issues, rain looks to be the biggest factor, another 3" pouring...

23 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

Yeah wow very subdued feel for this one. Maybe the 13th cutter will be better? Hmm

Yeah thats how I feel about this one as well. Actually the 13th one doesnt look promising for big wind either unfortunately. Hopefully that changes. Even 12/18 was actually pretty run of the mill imby. The 12/23/22 grinch storm 2 years ago had bigger wind.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I really don't know how much snow to expect here in SE Grafton County.  Gray just has us under a Hazard Weather Outlook.  No high wind advisory nor winter weather advisory.  We kind of stick out with all kinds of watches around us.  I'm thinking of 5-8" ?  Roof loads will become an issue if we don't warm up much tomorrow and then get another storm late week

Yeah, that area of NH is a tough call right now. But none of the wind or flooding threats appear high enough for a headline right now, and snow is likely to remain advisory level so it doesn't need a watch either. So HWO is all you get.

Bufkit is all over the place for LEB too. GFS 8 inches, NAM 5, HRRR 1.5 (but the HRRR is awfully close to a blue bomb profile).

1 minute ago, WJX231 said:

Yeah thats how I feel about this one as well. Actually the 13th one doesnt look promising for big wind either unfortunately. 12/18 was pretty run of the mill imby Actually. Even the 12/23/22 grinch storm 2 years ago had bigger wind.

Where are you located? yeah I agree, not too impressed for either the 10th or 13th locally (wind-wise).  12/18 was also mediocre in the Lowell area, though more wild I-95 and especially SE obviously.

9 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

My brother in Wolfeboro just sent me this screenshot from 3:14pm.  I'm thinking everything will be more north of there.  He said he's been checking various reports all day and they're changing by the hour:

image.thumb.png.76b18d97c615dec64025f1fde6baa06f.png

2 minutes ago, Layman said:

My brother in Wolfeboro just sent me this screenshot from 3:14pm.  I'm thinking everything will be more north of there.  He said he's been checking various reports all day and they're changing by the hour:

image.thumb.png.76b18d97c615dec64025f1fde6baa06f.png

More for the higher terrain than Wolfeboro proper, but a 4-7" thump before a flip is not out of the question.

The tough part about the watch text is that this is a grouping from Carroll County up through the Maine mountains and AUG. So it's a large area and the formatter just averages the totals out to 8-12". Much of that watch will be more like 4-7" or 5-8".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

More for the higher terrain than Wolfeboro proper, but a 4-7" thump before a flip is not out of the question.

The tough part about the watch text is that this is a grouping from Carroll County up through the Maine mountains and AUG. So it's a large area and the formatter just averages the totals out to 8-12". Much of that watch will be more like 4-7" or 5-8".

He had a couple good sized trees come down in the mid-Dec storm.  Ground is still saturated up there and with the 12" he got yesterday, he's thinking things could get hairy tomorrow night.  If they get a few inches of snow before the flip, it'll be interesting to see what he holds onto.  

• Torch Tiger changed the title to 1/9-1/10 Now Morphing to Less-Than-Exciting Power Cutter
  • dendrite unpinned this topic