• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 6-7 Winter Storm

NBC10 weather lady kept on saying the word graupel for the last 2 weather segments and I knew no one had a clue what she was talking about. Minutes later, the two other ladies behind the main news desk said people were asking on facebook/twitter what the hell is graupel? Weather lady explained but the behind the main desk ladies still looked perplexed and I'm sure people asking the question were confused as well...it was cringe.  Solved nothing...lol.

• Haha 6

12 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

NBC10 weather lady kept on saying the word graupel for the last 2 weather segments and I knew no one had a clue what she was talking about. Minutes later, the two other ladies behind the main news desk said people were asking on facebook/twitter what the hell is graupel? Weather lady explained but the behind the main desk ladies still looked perplexed and I'm sure people asking the question were confused as well...it was cringe.  Solved nothing...lol.

Most humans would have no idea, people in Philly would think it is some kind of scrapple.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Most humans would have no idea, people in Philly would think it is some kind of scrapple.

25 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Surprising considering the PA dutch influence. 

3 minutes ago, RedSky said:

I blame the weather lady for throwing that term out there. (Trying to look superior/smart?) No shot 99%+ know the term besides weenies. It's like walking down the street tomorrow and ask the random person what they they think of the 12z GFS and will they stay up for the Euro later tonight? 99.98% would have no clue and probably think you're sniffing glue talking nonsense...

37F 

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

Surprisingly, more people here in Phoenix probably know what graupel is, simply because when do manage to get anything frozen out of the sky in winter, it's almost always graupel.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Surprisingly, more people here in Phoenix probably know what graupel is, simply because when do manage to get anything frozen out of the sky in winter, it's almost always graupel.

Have you experienced a dust storm yet? It's on my bucket list...they seem pretty intense.

Cloudy/36F

6 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Have you experienced a dust storm yet? It's on my bucket list...they seem pretty intense.

Cloudy/36F

Yes. One last summer, and many when I previously lived here from 96-01. The big ones are quite an experience. 

• Like 1

Generally when I see a low track like that in January I expect snow to the N and W of the track at least 50 miles away from the ocean. That said there are other factors at play (mid levels etc.) it will not be an easy forecast and expect some more wild swings before we get to a solid forecast by Friday PM.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChescoWx said:

Generally when I see a low track like that in January I expect snow to the N and W of the track at least 50 miles away from the ocean. That said there are other factors at play (mid levels etc.) it will not be an easy forecast and expect some more wild swings before we get to a solid forecast by Friday PM.

I just have a sneaky suspsion we end up with 1-3 inches of sloppy sheet. I have this weird feeling were are going take a whiff here folks. 

11 minutes ago, LVblizzard said:

If you're south of Philly don't look at the 0z runs...pretty ugly.

The turnpike and 10-20 miles in either direction are hanging on but it's borderline there. Lehigh Valley and Poconos still look to be in a good spot.

I don’t think this is a south of Philly storm. Philly itself or around me may be the battleground. Looked like there were quite a few good 00z GFS ensemble members but heard the Canadien was warm.

52 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Too early in the season with those higher Atlantic water temperatures this would work out a month from now.

If the temps chill down? We'll probably hit 50+ next week. The ocean is a large body of water so we'll need a solid stretch of below normal temps to cool it off.

Accuweather/Sat night which sounds reasonable...I'll take  it.

sat.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like that warm sector really punches N now on latest runs. Expecting maybe a slushy inch or 2 here in Warminster. Philly, Baltimore, And  NYC should be able to keep their <1" snow days going at least another week. No letup in sight and the weeklies keep can kicking  til late Jan and Feb now. 

• Like 2

I knew this thing would trend north, but honestly not THIS much. Definitely have to temper expectations. I still think it'll move back south a bit, but really only benefitting places like the LHV. I guess we'll see, congrats New England 

• Like 2