Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Range Discussion ~ 2024

12 hours ago, buckeyefan1 said:

You can tell it hasn't snowed in 2 years in here :lol:  

Seriously though, there's a good signal as we head into spring. Will we get what we want? I sure hope so because ya'll will be fighting each other to be the first one over the cliff :cliff:  

fa8051f0a870beab83682f31c59965e4.gif

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, BooneWX said:

One thing is clear. The PNA is going to cooperate. There’s probably no single teleconnection more important than that. I love how tall that ridge becomes too. It should at least give the northern energy more opportunities to dig and mingle with the pieces of energy coming out of the Baja area. 

I would like to see these diving in towards Texas and not Arizona/New Mexico. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GaWx said:

The 0Z GEFS is significantly warmer than recent runs. Also, mean low track further north. Will that reduce mean snowfall in especially the deep south?

Warmest GEFS run in 7 runs. Not what I wanted to see. Still easily far out enough to reverse on near future runs, of course.

The 6Z GEFS went back colder with an increase in suppressed members and thus an increase again in deep S wintry members, especially from Macon SW to just N of Mobile. Those areas get hit pretty hard by 5 of 30 members. Also, 30% (9) of the 30 have significant and rather widespread IP/ZR in some of the SE. Two of these have a mix in far N FL. A good portion of the deep south wintry is IP/ZR, which doesn’t show up well in snow accumulations. Main period of wintry is within 2/17-21.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, GaWx said:

The 6Z GEFS went back colder with an increase in suppressed members and thus an increase again in deep S wintry members, especially from Macon SW to just N of Mobile. Those areas get hit pretty hard by 5 of 30 members. Also, 30% (9) of the 30 have significant and rather widespread IP/ZR in some of the SE. Two of these have a mix in far N FL. A good portion of the deep south wintry is IP/ZR.

I'm looking at the College of DuPage GEFS individual members and I'm not seeing the same results that you mention. Really not much showing up for the deep south at all. What source are you using for the GEFS member outputs?

1 hour ago, weatherfide said:

I'm looking at the College of DuPage GEFS individual members and I'm not seeing the same results that you mention. Really not much showing up for the deep south at all. What source are you using for the GEFS member outputs?

I’ll need to delete this very shortly because it is a screenshot taking up way too much of my attachment space: note that much of S AL gets 0.75-1” of snowfall in the mean.

*Image deleted*

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, weatherfide said:

College of dupage doesn't have all the members. I think it's just one member skewing the mean. There's one that drops 2 feet of snow on Montgomery Alabama. 

• Like 1

Just now, GaWx said:

I’ll need to delete this very shortly because it is a screenshot taking up way too much of my attachment space:

IMG_9140.thumb.png.7aa08c1d4d751cadc134a0bf3fee457f.png

Interesting. I have pivotal access, too, and saw that image, but I'm not sure how it's deriving it. It might be all sleet and freezing rain in southern AL and SW GA.

2 minutes ago, GaWx said:

These MJO forecasts are conducive 2/17+ for a cold SE with low amp 8 followed by going into the left side of the circle:

IMG_9142.png.751eb746f50c1ba08fbd87ef680051d1.pngIMG_9141.png.272631342a2c11049102d09e15ff5984.png

Not gonna lie. I selfishly loved the Euro depiction: a sustained trip through the cold phases for one last crack at winter weather but then progressing firmly to the warm side of things as spring creeps in. As much as I love snow odds, I’ll always die on the hill that cold springs suck. 

• Like 5

The 2/13-20 averaged 0Z 2/8 GEFS predicted AO dropped back some to -3.2 (see image below) vs -3.0 in the 2/7 run and -3.5 in the 2/6 run.

Strongest -AO El Niño averaged 2/13-20 (lowest daily) out of 25 Ninos since 1952:

1969: -4.8 (-5.1) (PNA: -0.1)

2010: -4.4 (-5.1) (PNA: +0.7)

1978: -2.6 (-4.8) (PNA: +0.8)

1958: -2.5 (-4.0) (PNA: +1.1)

1970: -2.4 (-4.0)

1964: -2.4 (-3.4)

1987: -2.4 (-3.3)

1966: -2.2 (-3.5)

1952: -2.1 (-2.5)

1983: -2.0 (-2.7)

1977: -1.2 (-2.1)

2007: -1.2 (-1.9)

2005: -1.1 (-1.7)

IMG_9143.thumb.png.4816819ce33259887e46cd54376f655c.png

• Like 3

If that phase could happen just a bit quicker/further west it would've been all snow from the beginning, instead of the rain to snow look. All unimportant details at this range though. Now I'd like to see a significant number of ensemble members start to solidify around a single threat.

There is a lot of support for a storm system in that time period it's just right now there's a mixed bag between wintry members, missed phases, and suppression. With the latter being the most favored at the moment. Given the likely need for at least partial phasing for this to work, unlikely to see stable solutions at this long of a lead time. 

• Like 1