Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco: Winter is coming

stormtracker

Look at the ensembles this far out not the op runs

I am. If you follow the EPS heights, precip maps, and snow mean tonight it’s generally showing cutter on the 10th, cutter on the 13th, cutter 16-17th, then it dries out at the end of the run. Yea the heights look good but sometimes you have to see through the mean and look at what’s really going on. Where’s the snow on the eps? It’s not there because it’s showing 3 cutters and then cold and dry. I’m not saying it’s right, just showing what I’m seeing… and we have plenty of time for it to change

10th cutter
894a273848fc75a26cb6ea3d26d7e30a.jpg

13th cutter
54b037c4d722131ed321e654f0aa91a1.jpg
16th cutter
20dee3447a1bcbc966c2816bfbb2e645.jpg

Beyond that it’s cold but the precip/snow mean are paltry. Southern stream dries out and the brief PNA ridge gets pushed into central Conus for what looks like an end of pattern warm up.

I know I’ll get bashed for this post, but whatever.

Just my opinion on why the snow mean was so low tonight.

Hopefully over next few days we see improved threats pop up in the 15th-22nd time frame.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 3

using the 10th as a cutter to say that the pattern isn't great is disingenuous. that's been a cutter for like two weeks. the 13th does not look good at this latitude and hasn't for a while. the risk for anything larger is from the 15th to the 23rd or so, and the pattern still looks good for something

using ensemble snow means is not the best way to go about analyzing if a pattern is favorable or not

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

There has been a strong signal on the GFS op and GEFS for a wave tracking to our south with cold air in place for the 16-17th, and that continued on the 0z runs. EPS and GEPS have it too. As depicted cold is entrenched with the boundary to our south on the means.

1705428000-m3apohK25OQ.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I'm talking farther out there where the NAO flips positive. More long range vs mid range in fantasy land. Maybe the flip is where we get our Archambault.

What's with all the focus on this? May not happen at all in Jan. Or this winter. Maybe the pattern does break down/relax for the end of the month. The pattern looks favorable for a week to 10 days and there should be opportunities during that period. Beyond that who knows. If you want to keep looking out to day 15 for hopium, the GEPS looks pretty darn good.

• Like 5

If there is going to be a major/crippling east coast storm it probably occurs in Feb. Historically favored, plus the seasonal/extended tools have consistently indicated the pattern will be more conducive. The Nino overall should be weakening the second half of winter with less notable +sst anomalies in the eastern Pacific.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Once [mention=8091]Heisy[/mention] wakes up and looks at the 06z gfs op it will perk him back up 

My opinion, but we We want the GFS to be right on the ridge positioning/phasing the two shortwaves here…

This progresses the trough east and creates the opportunities that the GFS shows down the line. Euro/cmc and even eps don’t do this at the moment. At least last night they didn’t.

aa420b4001dfb3b70408c79c5519e9e9.jpg
f6268c98c7af55bd0b494e05ab1d11eb.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

if you can look at these and be anything but at least a little excited, not sure what to say

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-5363200.thumb.png.4f5c87905a046fb553d5f219a99dd9ff.pnggfs-ensemble-all-avg-namer-z500_anom-5363200.thumb.png.0d21d8ca77c792637d7ec94fbdc1bff7.png

He is like Ji. Doesn't know ensemble guidance exists/ what the purpose is. Live and die with those op runs at long leads.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, brooklynwx99 said:

using the 10th as a cutter to say that the pattern isn't great is disingenuous. that's been a cutter for like two weeks. the 13th does not look good at this latitude and hasn't for a while. the risk for anything larger is from the 15th to the 23rd or so, and the pattern still looks good for something

using ensemble snow means is not the best way to go about analyzing if a pattern is favorable or not

That’s the time frame I’m keeping an eye on. 15-20 or so

and yes @CAPE I’d be all over a 6-10” event. If we get that in January, and another storm in Feb, that could put us at climo or above. 

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Heisy said:

End of 6z EPS has that N western conus lobe farther E vs 00z, ridge slightly farther E so that’s a step in positive direction. We gotta keep this crap from dumping out west as much as possible dc931315617c6fa178eb68b0cb22e460.jpg

I still think the 13th ends up more near the coast or just inland.  I'd feel better in CLE/BUF/PIT for that than I would ORD/DTW/MKE.  If that goes more east it might also more effectively set up some sort of 50/50 than if it goes up through Wisconsin.

• Like 5

He is like Ji. Doesn't know ensemble guidance exists/ what the purpose is. Live and die with those op runs at long leads.

I absolutely don’t man. While it wasn’t terrible I don’t agree that last nights 00 EPS was a great run if you read between the lines and see what was actually going on. It got the lower heights to our region but with 2 cutters 13th-16th which also left us in probably a not so snow friendly pattern afterwards. You absolutely can and should use the OPs in comparison with the ensembles to get an idea of what the smoothed out height lines on the ensembles mean.

Let’s compare the 00z eps vs the OP at 186 hours.. 1187d369b6705f39db7c20351336ae5c.jpg
eaa5e75a69190c9c3df1db1d4a98fe30.jpg

They both handle the 13th wave pretty similarly, it’s parked over SE Canada at 186 hours. Look at the EPS vs OP at this point out west. There’s a little battle going on it seems on the EPS between some OP like members and some that move the western trough a bit farther E.

You dump too much energy out west and this ridge here will be stronger obviously
7f8cf54e1cd7abcca772ed7445ed6670.jpg

You bring it eastward you get a more GFS like solution which gives us a chance at something around 16-17th.
1ba64dba847ace398c82d1382eedf663.jpg

Here is last nights EPS vs 6z GEFS. Spot the difference?
b94e792763c9062c95d164d42b9a8496.jpg
a9f9dea655daeadb90f9c1000c55422c.jpg

Finally EPS developed a ridge but it’s a bit too far E, this looks like a cold/dry/suppression time period before pattern ends if this were to be right. Good news there’s plenty of time for the EPS to evolve.

cc7b3bd17554a4d733ebd43210764e01.jpg

TL/DR I like the GEFS a lot better for us vs last night’s EPS

• Weenie 1