Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco: Winter is coming

stormtracker

10 minutes ago, Heisy said:

If that pattern comes to fruition and we don’t get snow between 15-end of month then I give up lol.

I feel so confident that we’ll get snow in the last 2 weeks of January that I may start a thread for it now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 19

26 minutes ago, Heisy said:

If that pattern comes to fruition and we don’t get snow between 15-end of month then I give up lol.

we havent had our dry and cold period of winter yet. Get ready friend!

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

The pattern starts to look favorable prior to this, but this period(and going forward) should be our wheelhouse for potentially bigger storms with cold air in place.  A classic look across the HL region, with an ideally placed and strong west based block, and a TPV underneath. EPS has been consistent in depicting this pattern for several runs.

1705492800-TkPN38IMM10.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

While I'm really disappointed in the Jan 6-7 system (I started seeing the red flags yesterday with weakening confluence), this upcoming pattern - if it pans out - will have stronger confluence up top and a slower pac jet. We won't have trailing shortwaves mucking things up if/when we have a good one on the way.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, CAPE said:

The pattern starts to look favorable prior to this, but this period(and going forward) should be our wheelhouse for potentially bigger storms with cold air in place. 

Our "wheelhouse"? Do you realize it hasn't snowed 1" in 710+ days? Jan 27th is our coldest day of the year, so it's usually somewhat safe to predict colder weather around that day, but I think we could be waiting longer than you currently indicate. 

I did this research earlier, but it has held true to where it's going to happen that Jan 5-13 is a strong N. Pacific/Aleutian island High building during El Nino.  I did 15 analogs (since 1948) matching PNA with opposite or Neutral ENSO state on those dates, and found that there is a strong indication that the pattern completely changes, in about a week after the 13th. This is a really good reversal on the composite, and you usually don't see that, especially in the PNA region, you usually see consistency rolled forward...

This rolls forward to a +PNA Jan 18-19->, and East Coast goes to average or below average temps on and after Jan 21-22: 

https://ibb.co/xzVYnx5

https://ibb.co/kGL4bZp

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 3

1 minute ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

No, that's a nasty N. Pacific high, and now SE ridge. We aren't going to snow until that pattern changes. 

Getting there Chuck. Moving towards it Chuck. 

Hey Chuck, well.. you know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

I'd be curious to see if a 3 sigma -NAO can overpower a 1 sigma -PNA right now to be honest. The -PNA may verify greater. 

@Stormchaserchuck1…this produced 3 snow events and one of our epic Nino snow runs.  -pna. I think this is where we’re headed. Yes or no, are you saying this wouldn’t work anymore? 
IMG_0767.gif.17efe98a6051ff270e46e7243c780be0.gif

4 minutes ago, JenkinsJinkies said:

That was nearly 60 years ago though, the climate has warmed since then

Hence my question. It’s pertinent because 1966 was one of my top 3 analogs and if I had to re rank now based on how the season has progressed it would be number 1. So this might be where we’re heading.

I just want to get him on the record in a definitive way. I feel like he hints but never comes out and says it. And Im not saying he would be wrong. We might find out. I’ve said this year is a good test case. 

• Like 2

Since I know how some react to any non rainbow and unicorns analytical statement I make let me be clear I am very optimistic we will be fine. This is just speculative. 

The old gefs looks didn’t bother me too much. Yea I didn’t love anything looking that way but I was 90% sure it was out to lunch. 

This though…is slightly and I mean only slightly troubling. 
IMG_0769.thumb.jpeg.ddd031958b23f5cf09d9e361fb33aa15.jpeg

Look at the pac pattern the last week of Jan. 1 should produce a trough at 2!  But it’s not.  That’s been consistent on the euro for a while. We get the pacific we want but… 

I think that’s wrong too. And yea I know by Feb 7 it starts showing a trough. But it keeps pushing that back. Not the pacific but the downstream effects.  Not much blue anywhere on that map though outside the Nino n pac low. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Since I know how some react to any non rainbow and unicorns analytical statement I make let me be clear I am very optimistic we will be fine. This is just speculative. 

The old gefs looks didn’t bother me too much. Yea I didn’t love anything looking that way but I was 90% sure it was out to lunch. 

Look at the pac pattern the last week of Jan. 1 should produce a trough at 2!  But it’s not.  That’s been consistent on the euro for a while. We get the pacific we want but… 

I think that’s wrong too. And yea I know by Feb 7 it starts showing a trough. But it keeps pushing that back. Not the pacific but the downstream effects.  Not much blue anywhere on that map though outside the Nino n pac low. 

how is "2" not a trough?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

We can never go without SOMETHING to worry about, can we? So we're getting the GEFS full lat ridge idea out of the way (admittedly I zeroed in on watching that after you mentioned it)...but now here's something else, lol Ah well...life in our climo!

11 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Looks like a trof to me, just smoothed over. Granted there aren't pretty Penn State blue colors there, but that look is far from troublesome imho.

7 minutes ago, Ji said:

how is "2" not a trough?

IMG_0769.thumb.jpeg.9c4ec77da93915b47374339fcaa56190.jpeg

this was never a super cold pattern. Yea our dominant flow is out if the NW and there is some arctic influence. But the main flow into Canada is off the pacific. 

Historically it’s cold enough though. But what happens if you keep warming the pacific?  At some point does that equation just not work anymore?  I’m just speculating.  My guess is this is missing the trough. Washing it out with warmer members. But we might be headed eventually to a point where the pac is too warm for this to work.  

If that doesn’t work anymore then we’re left needing some epo pna ridge combo which is extremely rare. We got that in 2014. For a few weeks in Jan 2022. But that’s never been the most common path to our snow. Worse it’s not even a big snowstorm pattern it would be progressive because you usually cant have a block with that kind of full latitude epo pna ridge.  

I dont think we’re there yet. But if the pac keeps warming eventually that might become the reality. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

We can never go without SOMETHING to worry about, can we? So we're getting the GEFS full lat ridge idea out of the way (admittedly I zeroed in on watching that after you mentioned it)...but now here's something else, lol Ah well...life in our climo!

You skip right to the negative of every post 

• Like 3