Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco: Winter is coming

stormtracker

2 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

Why? Most El Nino's have a nasty +PNA by mid-January (historically), this usually correlates to an east coast trough. It seems like as things are happening "a lot of people expected it"

since this is not a pure modoki nino and considering the warm SSTS in MC/IO as well as dateline, there will be periods of MC forcing(mid jan), u aren't going to get 4 months straight of favorable nino forcing in 8/1/2/3 in a basin wide nino

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I generally agree with your points but this chart isnt totally applicable because this is not an east based Nino.  It's a basin wide nino.  Look at my last post above at the current anomalies compared to two recent basin wide events.  Nearly identical. 

webb counts basin wide events as EP, although they are different, basin wide events are considered EP in literature which is what he counts them as

2 minutes ago, Ji said:

its almost impossible in this current climate not to get a HECS now at least every 6-7 years despite the crappy winters we have to endure between

We will probably get a HECS this year but its going to age us by 40 years before we get there

If we can get the pac to back off at all I think our chances are high still.  I am acknowledging I am more nervous now than I was a month ago but I have by no means given up and put together my "time of death" winter call yet.  I still think this works out.  Just less sure than I was.  As for the age thing...yea its frustrating but I can compartmentalize.  I come on here, track, kill time, and in the moment when I analyze and dont see what I want its frustrating...then I log off and go do other stuff and it doesn't affect me at all. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Cascades and Canada.

Brian Brettschneder shared this on twitter last year.  It's pretty bleak.  The positive anomalies along the east coast are due to all those HECS storms from 1996 to 2016.  The median is tanking here though for sure and if we don't get another HECS soon that blue will disappear, might have already given the last season isn't factored into that. 

I'm not one to give up on snow. It seems like a lot more precipitation is happening, and the possibility for stronger storms. I always thought 09-10 was a step in this direction. You see how on the coast the trend is actually upward. I think the -PNA is the real problem, and that even held in a lot of the early 2000s when we were doing well with snowfall. 

https://ibb.co/2csFL89

As the pattern relaxes, low's are energized not inland, but off the coast over the water, and the early 2000s were filled with examples of this, where they would track just right off the coast. I don't see that trend as disappearing, I just think it has been a very -PNA for 7 years. In the later part of a -PNA cycle, SE ridges are more dominant. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

If we can get the pac to back off at all I think our chances are high still.  I am acknowledging I am more nervous now than I was a month ago but I have by no means given up and put together my "time of death" winter call yet.  I still think this works out.  Just less sure than I was.  As for the age thing...yea its frustrating but I can compartmentalize.  I come on here, track, kill time, and in the moment when I analyze and dont see what I want its frustrating...then I log off and go do other stuff and it doesn't affect me at all. 

Wonder if this will be a 1983 winter redux? Largely mild temps throughout January and February but just enough cold air to allow for monster Megalopolitan snowstorm.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DarkSharkWX said:

webb counts basin wide events as EP, although they are different, basin wide events are considered EP in literature which is what he counts them as

Yes but a basin wide event like 2003, 2010, and 2016 is significantly more favorable for us historically than a more east based event like 1998 or 2007.  By including them with the pure east based events it skews the data imo.  Pure east based Nino's are pretty bad but this is clearly NOT that.  It's not a pure modoki but frankly I see little distinction between the modoki and basin wide.  There are some that have mistakenly characterized basin wide as modoki.  2015 and 2005 were pure modoki seasons and 2003, 2010, and 2016 were snowier on average in the mid atlantic. 

5 minutes ago, Jersey Andrew said:

Wonder if this will be a 1983 winter redux? Largely mild temps throughout January and February but just enough cold air to allow for monster Megalopolitan snowstorm.

Look at the December 1982 SST anomalies. 

sst2.gif.0125bed0c844f994e450759a248373f0.gif

That was one of the most east based nino's ever.  I would think we should get a more prolonged favorable pattern.  That year was similar to 1998 except we got just cold enough at just exactly the right time to get one of the precip bombs to be snow.  Again, if this season fails its not because of enso. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Cascades and Canada.

Brian Brettschneder shared this on twitter last year.  It's pretty bleak.  The positive anomalies along the east coast are due to all those HECS storms from 1996 to 2016.  The median is tanking here though for sure and if we don't get another HECS soon that blue will disappear, might have already given the last season isn't factored into that. 

50yeartrend.jpeg.d612797ee4aa496e763eb76619d498e9.jpeg

This map doesn't seem to be correct. All 3 of Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse averages went up when in latest 30 yr averages. The old averages were 1981-2010 with the new being 1991-2020

https://www.weather.gov/buf/newnormals

New 30 Year Climate Normals (1991 - 2020)

Buffalo: 94.7" to 95.4"

Rochester: 99.5" to 102"

Syracuse: 123.8" to 127.8"

With this being said Rochester and Syracuse have had some of the worst winters in their history the last few years and when the new 30 yr climo norms come out they likely decrease quite a bit. Buffalo has had 2 consecutive above average snowfall yrs. I contribute that to mainly luck as we are a big snowfall climo with lake effect snow events.

Some interesting data below

fig1-snow-cities-835px-rev1.jpg?ex=65a20a8c&is=658f958c&hm=bbea2dc035b2d081c85547e3319e61eb1931ae50049b0ceab90d7e83f1532695&

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

This map doesn't seem to be correct. All 3 of Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse averages went up when in latest 30 yr averages. The old averages were 1981-2010 with the new being 1991-2020

https://www.weather.gov/buf/newnormals

New 30 Year Climate Normals (1991 - 2020)

Buffalo: 94.7" to 95.4"

Rochester: 99.5" to 102"

Syracuse: 123.8" to 127.8"

With this being said Rochester and Syracuse have had some of the worst winters in their history the last few years and when the new 30 yr climo norms come out they likely decrease quite a bit. Buffalo has had 2 consecutive above average snowfall yrs. I contribute that to mainly luck as we are a big snowfall climo with lake effect snow events.

Some interesting data below

fig1-snow-cities-835px-rev1.jpg?ex=65a20a8c&is=658f958c&hm=bbea2dc035b2d081c85547e3319e61eb1931ae50049b0ceab90d7e83f1532695&

I think his data is running a 50 year regression not using the 30 year averages, plus its possible those were localized anomalies due the lake effect that might not show up on that coarse map. 

Just now, psuhoffman said:

I think his data is running a 50 year regression not using the 30 year averages, plus its possible those were localized anomalies due the lake effect that might not show up on that coarse map. 

The 1970s were a very snowy decade almost everywhere. Once that data is excluded the regression isn't as bad.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I'n your opinion, what is our most realistic path for success here?  IF (a very big if), the MJO doesn't get stuck in the MC, then it seems like it might get back the good phases right in that late Jan early Feb Nino sweet spot.  Seems like that is at least a decent hope?

2 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

I'n your opinion, what is our most realistic path for success here?  IF (a very big if), the MJO doesn't get stuck in the MC, then it seems like it might get back the good phases right in that late Jan early Feb Nino sweet spot.  Seems like that is at least a decent hope?

IMO our best hope is that as the MJO progresses (if) back into the central pacific it kicks the ridge out and we re-establish a trough near the Aleutians.  Then we would get a split flow with the western energy cutting under the block into the east.  The timing of that is now betting pushed back towards February though realistically.  That's still plenty of time though...for anyone still left alive after the blood bath this place will turn into by then! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The 1970s were a very snowy decade almost everywhere. Once that data is excluded the regression isn't as bad.

They were not snowy at all here.  What I think the data on the whole shows if you dig in and really analyze it...places further north and colder are seeing their means increase.  Burlington VT for example...and even some places that have been JUST far enough north to take advantage of the stormier base state.  Philly and NYC.  But there is a stark line near 40 where south of there snowfall is tanking. 

GOA ridge, WC trough, ridge overtop here in the east.. no way.  bluewave posted something where most of our snows since 09-10 have happened with a ridge in the West as the most dominate N. Hemisphere feature (for NYC at least). 

00x CMC fails the Chuck test I think if I remember how it was explained earlier. Think it goes 3/3