• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

One of my coworkers lives at 1850’ near signal mtn in TN. Just got above freezing today after dropping below on the 14th. Nights in the single digits with 5-6” of snow last week and ice that caused him to lose power.  Locals say worst outage since 93. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The problem is when pack depth is too thin, it’s a lot easier to warm it up, even when it’s a lot of ice. You start getting dark leaves, grass blades, twigs and other things that protrude out of it which really accelerates it. Hopefully we build an actual deep pack for a few weeks at some point, but I’m just hoping for a couple big dogs at this point. 

This recent stretch has been nice with snow OTG. Today was the first time since 1/14 I hit freezing. 

I think this stretch was longer than any last winter. Adding on 1.50” over two days over the weekend helped a bit. I’m thinking maybe the 1-3” tomorrow night also helps. I’m basing this on temps not getting into the 50’s. If that happens then it’s gone faster Pickles pants on Brokeback .

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

I think this stretch was longer than any last winter. Adding on 1.50” over two days over the weekend helped a bit. I’m thinking maybe the 1-3” tomorrow night also helps. I’m basing this on Tebow not getting into the 50’s. If that happens then it’s gone faster Pickles pants on Brokeback .

1.5”???

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Beginning to think we all keep the pack in SNE. 1-3” tomorrow PM and night, icestorm Wednesday and 30’s - lower 40’s Friday before more snow Sunday into Monday.

Big winds too I bet.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Snowfall to date in CT. I'm going to attempt to make a SNE map for the first time for this as well. We'll see how that goes. Reports are from here, cocorahs and official climo sites. 

Next to it is where we were last year at this time, 8 days later to be exact. 

01_22.24_jdj_ct_snowfall_to_date.thumb.jpg.6f5b8f48a49977d50f3cb0b35fddcd2d.jpg01_30.23_jdj_seasonal_snowfall_to_date.thumb.jpg.54f5b41cbb95e9b3da0aff5782049fc7.jpg

@CoastalWx This area is ground zero for biggest negative snowfall anomalies in SNE  . When BDL has more.. you know it’s a ratter 

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

@CoastalWx This area is ground zero for biggest negative snowfall anomalies in SNE 

we'll find out in a few hours, im working on a SNE, season to date map now. I think coastal New London county is ground zero from what i can tell so far. BTW what is @CoastalWx STD snowfall? You keeping track?

2 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

we'll find out in a few hours, im working on a SNE, season to date map now. I think coastal New London county is ground zero from what i can tell so far. BTW what is @CoastalWx STD snowfall? You keeping track?

I was and then just got disgusted lol. I’ll have to add them up. I’ll have to go back and look.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

There’s definitely a wide range of outcomes as we approach the go big or go spring time of the year. 

This week looks like a peach.:axe:

"

Unsettled
pattern through this upcoming weekend, though there remains a great deal of uncertainty for Saturday and Sunday. Early spring- like temperatures Thursday and Friday with on-and- off rain chances. This late- January thaw could lead to river levels increasing to action or minor flood stage by Friday"

2 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Snows ok, its this snow/ice crap we have that sucks.

Yeah I don't want any slop but what we have on the ground now is pretty nice (at least here). Not too icy around In my neck of the woods. Powdery in fact. Amazing the tracks you see out in the woods.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, kdxken said:

This week looks like a peach.:axe:

"

Unsettled
pattern through this upcoming weekend, though there remains a great deal of uncertainty for Saturday and Sunday. Early spring- like temperatures Thursday and Friday with on-and- off rain chances. This late- January thaw could lead to river levels increasing to action or minor flood stage by Friday"

I wouldn’t mind dry warmth but I’m about done with rains. We could use a dry spring but we know that ain’t happening. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oddly enough we are still at normal for snowfall through Jan 22 (for JAN ONLY) at BDR, well above normal for BDL and nearly double for ORH.

Records are as follows for January:

BDR - 5.5" Normal 5.4"

BDL 13.1" Normal 9.4"

ORH 21.0" Normal 11.6"

As a side note, BDR and NYC normal through Jan 22nd is both 5.4". Man, Bridgeport really sucks at measuring snow because there is absolutely no way that is reality. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Oddly enough we are still at normal for snowfall through Jan 22 at BDR, well above normal for BDL and nearly double for ORH.

Records are as follows

BDR - 5.5" Normal 5.4"

BDL 13.1" Normal 9.4"

ORH 21.0" Normal 11.6"

As a side note, BDR and NYC normal through Jan 22nd is both 5.4". Man, Bridgeport really sucks at measuring snow because there is absolutely no way that is reality. 

This is for January only correct? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

This is for January only correct? 

yeah my bad if that wasnt clear ill edit it, to make it obvious.

Normals are for Jan only, same with the totals so far. For BDR/BDL its the same as the season total, for ORH its 3" less (they are at 24" for the season)

• Like 1