Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

1 minute ago, WJX231 said:

How often do we get a monster system that drops a widespread 2+ feet for the whole northeast? January 2015 was the last one that I remember. I wish they weren't so rare.

Jan 2015 blizzard didn’t do much over the rest of the northeast outside of central/eastern New England and Long Island. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, WJX231 said:

How often do we get a monster system that drops a widespread 2+ feet for the whole northeast? January 2015 was the last one that I remember. I wish they weren't so rare.

That boned us here out west(and I’m not extremely west either)…nothing special here. East of the River more than doubled(even 2.5 times in some spots)our accumulation.  Not a fan of that storm here. 

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

Feb 13. January’11 had two. 

Eh January 12, 2011 only produced like one foot in my area and that was the bigger of the two. Feb 2013 was definitely bigger but I still only got 14.3". Definitely a good storm but not on the same level as January 2005 and 2015 in my area.

12 minutes ago, WJX231 said:

The "whole Northeast" is a non-starter!  The nature / structure of Northeast winter storms makes that almost impossible!!!  Region-wide 2+ snowfalls are literally impossible to pull off...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WJX231 said:

Eh January 12, 2011 only produced like one foot in my area and that was the bigger of the two. Feb 2013 was definitely bigger but I still only got 14.3". Definitely a good storm but not on the same level as January 2005 and 2015 in my area.

And that’s exactly the point…as John said, it’s pretty much impossible.   Feb13 gave me 33”.  The two January monsters in 2011 gave me close to 2ft, and then 18-20” respectively.  So that’s kind of how it works.  Dec of 20 and Feb 1st of 21 were 15-18”too.  

February ‘06 was huge here, 20 plus.  Don’t know what you got in that? But that was a great storm here and down into NYC. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

That boned us here out west(and I’m not extremely west either)…nothing special here. East of the River more than doubled(even 2.5 times in some spots)our accumulation.  Not a fan of that storm here. 

yeah WOR didn't do that great in that one, it wasn't zilch, but imby it was like hours of sand and poor snow growth and exhaust, believe I still got double digits though, just wasn't 2'+

Just now, tavwtby said:

yeah WOR didn't do that great in that one, it wasn't zilch, but imby it was like hours of sand and poor snow growth and exhaust, believe I still got double digits though, just wasn't 2'+

Yes sir.  We got about 12” here…but we struggled to that. And as you said we had poor growth, and just couldn’t break into the big banding. Very disappointing to say the least. Good riddens to that thing lol. 

• Like 1

Just now, WinterWolf said:

Yes sir.  We got about 12” here…but we struggled to that. And as you said we had poor growth, and just couldn’t break into the big banding. Very disappointing to say the least. Good riddens to that thing lol. 

it was so close to, I remember just waiting for the growth to get better but never really did, although pretty impressive to pull a foot in sand snow

• Like 1

We had 20” in ORH in ‘93 storm but it was a local max. Very few spots in New England even got 2 feet. 

The largest area of 2 feet in New England is almost certainly Feb ‘69 and Feb ‘13 was pretty impressive too. I’d say 2013 even outdid 1978 in New England as a whole for aerial coverage of 24”+. 

If we want to include March 1888 then that is right up there with Feb ‘69. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We had 20” in ORH in ‘93 storm but it was a local max. Very few spots in New England even got 2 feet. 

The largest area of 2 feet in New England is almost certainly Feb ‘69 and Feb ‘13 was pretty impressive too. I’d say 2013 even outdid 1978 in New England as a whole for aerial coverage of 24”+. 

that was the most snow I've ever seen in a single event, although 78 was longer lasting and higher impact, we got 27" in 78 in wtby, and 32" in 13... I think Feb 83, or 82 I can't remember was also 2'+ in wtby anyway

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The March 93 storm was really the cherry on the top of a great sundae so wasn't so disappointed I didn't get two feet. The year as a whole was great.

• Like 1