• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024

wdrag

Looks like the coldest departures next week will drop to our West like we have been seeing in recent years. Then a quick moderation in temperatures. Very difficult to get any sustained cold here. 

2EFF12CC-058B-4648-AF9F-EB68C62F1F13.thumb.png.3e1a741c2d05e56211dba3f1659ce494.png

79B76214-14B4-4C2A-886D-1AD3AEC13AA4.thumb.png.0be389d1329ecf414808420cfdb814fe.png

B8608A48-8100-4355-A7F3-18BC19ACD9EF.thumb.png.ae05e4dd4a5bbcb100282788f696b660.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Looks like the coldest departures next week will drop to our West like we have been seeing in recent years. Then a quick moderation in temperatures. Very difficult to get any sustained cold here. 

2EFF12CC-058B-4648-AF9F-EB68C62F1F13.thumb.png.3e1a741c2d05e56211dba3f1659ce494.png

79B76214-14B4-4C2A-886D-1AD3AEC13AA4.thumb.png.0be389d1329ecf414808420cfdb814fe.png

B8608A48-8100-4355-A7F3-18BC19ACD9EF.thumb.png.ae05e4dd4a5bbcb100282788f696b660.png

Well at least you get to see snow now that you moved. What’s terrible stretch for the island. Hopefully our one shot at redemption next week. 

3 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Well at least you get to see snow now that you moved. What’s terrible stretch for the island. Hopefully our one shot at redemption next week. 

There will be plenty of cold coming up with this pattern and snow chances. 

A relaxation period will occur but should be short lived before we possibly get a sustained winter pattern in February. 

• Weenie 2

6 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I only picked up 2” mostly on the grass here before the rain and warmth melted it. I am concerned about the beach erosion on Long Island continuing into the fall. It looks like a very active hurricane season coming up with the record Atlantic SSTs and La Niña.

• Thanks 1

Just now, bluewave said:

I only picked up 2” mostly on the grass here before the rain and warmth melted it. I am concerned about the beach erosion on Long Island continuing into the fall. It looks like a very active hurricane season coming up with the record Atlantic SSTs and La Niña.

The beaches can’t even take the next storm. Im

currently watching the pacific blvd cam and and the waters to the boardwalk. All that sand added after sandy is gone. 

1 minute ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

currently watching the pacific blvd cam and and the waters to the boardwalk. All that sand added after sandy is gone. 

Parts of Fire Island lost all the sand replenished by the army corps after Sandy. I don’t know how coastal sections will manage in the coming decades with continued extreme weather and rising sea levels. We can adapt to this warming climate with more extreme storms. But sea level rise is going to be our greatest challenge next 100 years and beyond. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

We are both lynbrook guys now, and we for sure had at least a half an inch during the last storm. Im right at the northern tip of lynbrook. But the yard was def snow covered for a bit. So we aren’t striking out so to speak. 

We're hoping to exceed last year-- not a very high goal I know, but small steps lol.

10 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Parts of Fire Island lost all the sand replenished by the army corps after Sandy. I don’t know how coastal sections will manage in the coming decades with continued extreme weather and rising sea levels. We can adapt to this warming climate with more extreme storms. But sea level rise is going to be our greatest challenge next 100 years and beyond. 

It's going to cause a lot more mass migrations....

We've probably permanently exceeded +1.5C, so that first limit has already been breached, +2.0C is next.

19 minutes ago, bluewave said:

We already had an active tropical season with 20 storms lol (but only 1 landfall), how much more active can it get, do you think we could get 30 storms again?

And do you think we could have a very hot summer too with 30+ 90 degree highs and maybe even a 100+ degree high or more (because of the el nino to la nina transition?)

16 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I am very concerned about the coming hurricane season. Early thoughts are that it will be the most devastating season yet.

29 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I lived on the beach in Wading River my whole life. It happens. It sucks. They will replenish in spring. The noreaster winters are the worst for beach erosion.

58 minutes ago, bluewave said:

you’re a good poster, but you have a very strong glass half empty view of winter around here. it undermines your skill.

Next week is going to be cold for the type of winter (shit) we’ve had so far. Two legitimate snow chances.

And if past el Ninos are any indication, that may be it. Loaded February isnt a guarantee. So, glass half full and enjoy it. :)

5 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

I lived on the beach in Wading River my whole life. It happens. It sucks. They will replenish in spring. The noreaster winters are the worst for beach erosion.

you’re a good poster, but you have a very strong glass half empty view of winter around here. it undermines your skill.

Next week is going to be cold for the type of winter (shit) we’ve had so far. Two legitimate snow chances.

And if past el Ninos are any indication, that may be it. Loaded February isnt a guarantee. So, glass half full and enjoy it. :)

a 2015-2016 type winter but about 2 degrees colder (because of a slightly less intense el nino) would be really nice, especially considering how many close calls there were that February (I remember the storm where the crane fell in NYC and also the Superbowl snowstorm.)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

While it’s going to feel cold here next week compared to how warm it has been, it doesn’t  look like it will match the Arctic outbreak for us last February when NYC got down to 3°.

Data for February 4, 2023 through February 4, 2023
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
State
Name
Station Type
Lowest Min Temperature 
NY CARMEL 4N COOP -10
CT OXFORD WATERBURY WBAN -9
CT MERIDEN MARKHAM MUNICIPAL AP WBAN -6
CT GUILFORD COOP -5
CT NORWICH PUBLIC UTILITY PLANT COOP -5
CT DANBURY MUNICIPAL AP WBAN -5
NY PORT JERVIS COOP -4
NY SHRUB OAK COOP -4
CT GROTON NEW LONDON AP WBAN -4
CT IGOR I SIKORSKY MEMORIAL AIRPORT WBAN -4
NJ CHARLOTTEBURG RESERVOIR COOP -3
NY MONTGOMERY ORANGE COUNTY AP WBAN -3
CT NEW HAVEN TWEED AP WBAN -3
NY WEST POINT COOP -2
NY ORIENT POINT STATE PARK COOP -2
NY RIVERHEAD RESEARCH FARM COOP -1
NY WESTHAMPTON GABRESKI AP WBAN 0
NY UPTON COOP - NWSFO NEW YORK COOP 0
NY MONTAUK AIRPORT WBAN 0
NY SHIRLEY BROOKHAVEN AIRPORT WBAN 1
NY WESTCHESTER CO AP WBAN 1
NJ TETERBORO AIRPORT WBAN 2
NY NY CITY CENTRAL PARK WBAN 3
NJ HARRISON COOP 3
NJ CALDWELL ESSEX COUNTY AP WBAN 3
NY SYOSSET COOP 3
NY ISLIP-LI MACARTHUR AP WBAN 3
NY CENTERPORT COOP 3
NY FARMINGDALE REPUBLIC AP WBAN 4
NY JFK INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT WBAN 4
NJ NEWARK LIBERTY INTL AP WBAN 5
NJ CANOE BROOK COOP 5
NY WORLD TRADE CENTER WBAN 5
NY LAGUARDIA AIRPORT WBAN 5
NY PORT AUTH DOWNTN MANHATTAN WALL ST HEL ICAO 7
NY BAITING HOLLOW COOP 9

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the_other_guy said:

While you are right on the money about nor’easters, those are worse for the north shore and Jersey. These have been cutters with SE winds and have had extremely large fetch’s. That’s why south facing beaches are getting rocked. It’s really a serious situation. Our life guard shack at Jones beach which was obviously rebuilt after sandy, hasn’t flooded since. Well it had feet of water the last storm. Meaning all the equipment we store over winter is screwed.

• Sad 2

52 minutes ago, bluewave said:

While it’s going to feel cold here next week compared to how warm it has been, it doesn’t  look like it will match the Arctic outbreak for us last February when NYC got down to 3°.

Data for February 4, 2023 through February 4, 2023
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
State
Name
Station Type
Lowest Min Temperature 
NY CARMEL 4N COOP -10
CT OXFORD WATERBURY WBAN -9
CT MERIDEN MARKHAM MUNICIPAL AP WBAN -6
CT GUILFORD COOP -5
CT NORWICH PUBLIC UTILITY PLANT COOP -5
CT DANBURY MUNICIPAL AP WBAN -5
NY PORT JERVIS COOP -4
NY SHRUB OAK COOP -4
CT GROTON NEW LONDON AP WBAN -4
CT IGOR I SIKORSKY MEMORIAL AIRPORT WBAN -4
NJ CHARLOTTEBURG RESERVOIR COOP -3
NY MONTGOMERY ORANGE COUNTY AP WBAN -3
CT NEW HAVEN TWEED AP WBAN -3
NY WEST POINT COOP -2
NY ORIENT POINT STATE PARK COOP -2
NY RIVERHEAD RESEARCH FARM COOP -1
NY WESTHAMPTON GABRESKI AP WBAN 0
NY UPTON COOP - NWSFO NEW YORK COOP 0
NY MONTAUK AIRPORT WBAN 0
NY SHIRLEY BROOKHAVEN AIRPORT WBAN 1
NY WESTCHESTER CO AP WBAN 1
NJ TETERBORO AIRPORT WBAN 2
NY NY CITY CENTRAL PARK WBAN 3
NJ HARRISON COOP 3
NJ CALDWELL ESSEX COUNTY AP WBAN 3
NY SYOSSET COOP 3
NY ISLIP-LI MACARTHUR AP WBAN 3
NY CENTERPORT COOP 3
NY FARMINGDALE REPUBLIC AP WBAN 4
NY JFK INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT WBAN 4
NJ NEWARK LIBERTY INTL AP WBAN 5
NJ CANOE BROOK COOP 5
NY WORLD TRADE CENTER WBAN 5
NY LAGUARDIA AIRPORT WBAN 5
NY PORT AUTH DOWNTN MANHATTAN WALL ST HEL ICAO 7
NY BAITING HOLLOW COOP 9

agreed. This isnt our arctic outbreak. But it will be winter cold, and we will be in the game for a couple of of storms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

While you are right on the money about nor’easters, those are worse for the north shore and Jersey. These have been cutters with SE winds and have had extremely large fetch’s. That’s why south facing beaches are getting rocked. It’s really a serious situation. Our life fairs shack at Jones beach which was obviously rebuilt after sandy, hasn’t flooded since. Well it had feet of water the last storm. Meaning all the equipment we store over winter is screwed.

Fire Island will have more inlets cut in the coming decades and it will be up to the army corps whether they want to leave or plug. But this will present challenges for back bay flooding since the tidal range in the GSB could increase with more inlets. 

• Sad 1