Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter '23-'24 Piss and Moan/Banter Thread

IWXwx

4 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

GHD I was fun; although (at least in Milwaukee, where I was living at the time) the wind caused so much drifting that the snow depth elsewhere didn't really seem all that impressive to me. I have no memory at all of GHD II, as I don't think it affected southern Wisconsin all that much in terms of noteworthy totals.

Yeah we only got like 4 inches of snow from GHD II at least in the Madison metro and points north. It was a pretty ho-hum snowfall for us. It's why Feburary 15 as cold as it was doesn't really stick out as much as other similar months.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2024 at 4:59 PM, michsnowfreak said:

Thats a more balanced approach. When I think of GHDI, I think of how 3 days later we all got 4-6 inches of "partly sunny". Talk about a snow blindsiding forecasters. Then, on Feb 20, what was supposed to be 1-3" of snow turning to freezing rain once again shocked us by being all snow, complete with TSSN, and dropping 10". We MORE than made up for it, and Feb 2011 is Detroits 2nd snowiest Feb (31.7"), behind only 1908. It was also the 4th snowiest month on record (at the time 3rd), behind only Jan 2014, Feb 1908, & Dec 1974.

Ive said all the good about GHDII itself, but another thing it did was lay down a deep snowpack for the record cold the next 5 weeks would bring. There was a few inches on the ground pre-storm, but unlike the nonstop storms of 2013-14, in 2014-15 it was a big one-hit wonder (otherwise all nickels and dimes).

We have come back to earth since 2016. What I wouldnt give to relive the 2007-15 glory days and all the silly weenie complaints we had at the time during what was the best snow stretch on record. Some complaints of the time- some complained about a storm in 2011 for not dropping enough snow in a month that saw 32". Some complained in 2008 because Detroit got 72" while Madison got 99". My God were we spoiled. In the 7 winters from 2007-08 thru 2013-14, Detroit averaged 59.8". And that INCLUDES the clunker 2011-12. In the 9 winters since, the average has dropped down to, well, near average, at 42.9".

One more 2015 post storm pic to show why it was my favorite 

FB_IMG_1707256353429.jpg

I worked that 4-6" of partly sunny. I remember watching overnight as the models kept inching north the snow band, and DTX was slow to react until their morning update at 9:30 when they realized that it would for sure snow.

• Like 2

It’s definitely one of those what a time to be alive kind of mornings. Upper 40s in the Chicago suburbs for overnight lows in early February. I moved here from Atlanta and I guess I brought the climate with me aside from those 10 days in January. This has been an easy transition.

27 minutes ago, DocATL said:

It’s definitely one of those what a time to be alive kind of mornings. Upper 40s in the Chicago suburbs for overnight lows in early February. I moved here from Atlanta and I guess I brought the climate with me aside from those 10 days in January. This has been an easy transition.

GFv_JNzWIAAxS4c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Hour 102 on todays 12z euro run perfectly illustrates why it's so hard for the detroit, indy corridor to get a big dog.  You got a strengthening low pressure system taking the perfect track, and then the coastal area steals the energy. This isn't the case with every storm and maybe not with this one but often If this low pressure was 200-400 miles west, it most likely wouldn't transfer and the chicago, grr, peoria corridor and points west could have the possibility of a big dog. Detroit is stuck in the middle of big dog territory. The only way detroit could cash in on 24+ is if there's a perfect phase of the N/S streams to our SE and even then still susceptible to a Miller B scenario. Once in a 100 year thing, sort of like major hurricane Ian hitting fort myers. Sure they've had a few over the years, but none like Ian that crawled along the coast giving them 7+ hours of surge/winds over 100.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stevo6899 said:

Hour 102 on todays 12z euro run perfectly illustrates why it's so hard for the detroit, indy corridor to get a big dog.  You got a strengthening low pressure system taking the perfect track, and then the coastal area steals the energy. This isn't the case with every storm and maybe not with this one but often If this low pressure was 200-400 miles west, it most likely wouldn't transfer and the chicago, grr, peoria corridor and points west could have the possibility of a big dog. Detroit is stuck in the middle of big dog territory. The only way detroit could cash in on 24+ is if there's a perfect phase of the N/S streams to our SE and even then still susceptible to a Miller B scenario. Once in a 100 year thing, sort of like major hurricane Ian hitting fort myers. Sure they've had a few over the years, but none like Ian that crawled along the coast giving them 7+ hours of surge/winds over 100.

Im already moving onto spring weather lol. Today was nice running in shorts. 

• Thanks 1

@Snowstormsand @michsnowfreak

Whats the percentage you put at Toronto and Detroit seeing another 10" of snow this winter? 

10" more would push Toronto out of top 10 least snowy winter. 

Construction has resumed/started real early. Got the earliest email in my near decade of running my division asking if we have begun the 2024 season. Ill send back we dont resume for another 6 weeks still but crazy to see. 

On 2/7/2024 at 5:29 PM, mississaugasnow said:

That month was great but more for the deep snowpack for the month. GHDII was only a 9" storm here (Hamilton/west end GTA). But we had over 12" on the ground for almost the entire month and half the month had 16-20" snow depth (Hamilton) 

Toronto only got 5" from that storm but still had an impressive 6-8" on the ground for the entire month. 

Talk about the glory days...

feb14.PNG.46b5c267ff7be201d4ba8df6135c1818.PNG

feb15.PNG.c4edb34388dba3caf509d0c5525ad000.PNG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mississaugasnow said:

Whats the percentage you put at Toronto and Detroit seeing another 10" of snow this winter? 

Construction has resumed/started real early. Got the earliest email in my near decade of running my division asking if we have begun the 2024 season. Ill send back we dont resume for another 6 weeks still but crazy to see. 

Such a tough call. 

~Average snowfall from Feb 8th to end of season at DTW is 16.5" more.

~The most on record for that timeframe is 49.4" set in 1900; the least 2.7" set twice, in 1902 & 1969. 

~In 143 years of snow records, 41 years saw less than 10" with 102 seeing more than 10".

~Strong El Ninos often see the best snowstorm of the season in March and are often backloaded

~Average last measurable snow is April 17th, over 2 months away

While its a given that this winter will not be remembered with a smile, Id have to put odds at simply seeing a total accumulation between now and May of at least 10" at around 70%. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

This system is not a 2 foot snowstorm. We have seen multiple systems that start out just like this and take a favorable track and dump snow on us the last several years. A 2 foot storm is extremely rare. And the east coast is in a record snow drought btw. To say they are overdue for a coastal storm that actually drops snow is an understatement.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

Such a tough call. 

~Average snowfall from Feb 8th to end of season at DTW is 16.5" more.

~The most on record for that timeframe is 49.4" set in 1900; the least 2.7" set twice, in 1902 & 1969. 

~In 143 years of snow records, 41 years saw less than 10" with 102 seeing more than 10".

~Strong El Ninos often see the best snowstorm of the season in March and are often backloaded

~Average last measurable snow is April 17th, over 2 months away

While its a given that this winter will not be remembered with a smile, Id have to put odds at simply seeing a total accumulation between now and May of at least 10" at around 70%. 

Ya, it’s going to be interesting. Though in the last 10 seasons Toronto hasn’t recorded a 6” storm after March 15th. The April storm got close but was just a bit shy. Crazy that between March 15-31st Torontos biggest event has been around 4-5” (April I believe was 5.7”) 

44 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

Ya, it’s going to be interesting. Though in the last 10 seasons Toronto hasn’t recorded a 6” storm after March 15th. The April storm got close but was just a bit shy. Crazy that between March 15-31st Torontos biggest event has been around 4-5” (April I believe was 5.7”) 

You mean in the last 10 years right? We have had some very good snowstorms in the second half of March historically here, and many of them were in decidedly subpar winters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

You mean in the last 10 years right? We have had some very good snowstorms in the second half of March historically here, and many of them were in decidedly subpar winters.

Yep, last 10. The previous 10 (2003-2013) I think had some good ones. Never mind. Just checked and not really then either lol. 

They do happen but counting on them isn’t the greatest odds 

13 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

This system is not a 2 foot snowstorm. We have seen multiple systems that start out just like this and take a favorable track and dump snow on us the last several years. A 2 foot storm is extremely rare. And the east coast is in a record snow drought btw. To say they are overdue for a coastal storm that actually drops snow is an understatement.

You're missing the point. I stated this isn't a 2 foot snowstorm. But had this storm been more west, it wouldn't transfer and the possibility is there to strenghten and maybe be a big dog. Being in our location, susceptible to transfers, theres no chance unless there's phasing. We've seen many storms take this next storms track and transfer, limiting our snow. The only way is to have phasing and we all know how hard to get a perfect timing full phase it. Areas to our west like Chicago don't have to worry about losing energy to a transfer when they get the big dog potential. We need so much more to align and go right to see that big storm.  Also like many have stated, myself included, I would be okay with going 3-5 years with no snow knowing a big dog is gonna happen. It's cool that you'd rather have 5 inches on the ground for a month straight vs getting a potential big dog. Different strokes.

With the exception of a couple weeks in January and the last few days of spring like weather its monotonously unappealing. 4.5 months of temps 30-45F with cold rain the predominating precip is a tough road to grind through.                                        Loss of December as a winter month is a killer. Below average March and April's just extend the monotony but can't replace losing December.

8 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Locally only 3 storms of 6+ thev2nd half of March the past 30 years. We're due. 

Mar 20, 1996

Mar 25/26, 2002

Mar 21, 2008

Interesting that Toronto didnt get close to 6" for any of those. March 21st 2008 was 0".  Earlier that March (4th-9th) is when Toronto saw 12" within a 5 day span and lots of news articles about that. That must be what I was remembering about 08. 

In a winter like this I wouldnt mind 12" within a 5 day span haha. 

2 hours ago, Cary67 said:

With the exception of a couple weeks in January and the last few days of spring like weather its monotonously unappealing. 4.5 months of temps 30-45F with cold rain the predominating precip is a tough road to grind through.                                        Loss of December as a winter month is a killer. Below average March and April's just extend the monotony but can't replace losing December.

cruel. As the snows that fall and melt hours after completion will push us to near normal snowfall totals by the end.

19 hours ago, mississaugasnow said:

Forecast looks bleak. Next weeks storm looks to slide south of us and no real fantasy storm after that other than a weak clipper. With the amount of snowless weeks and the abundant sunshine and warmth we've seen over this past week, I'm ready for spring. Another one or two week long cold shot with little to no snow isn't going to makeup for this. 56 (13C) right now at YYZ on Feb 9th.

Outside of that one week in January, it's been a total shit show. What a garbage winter and second record breaking warm winter. Almost like the stretch of warm winters we had from 1997-2000. 

Since that 2015 super nino, we've truly only had 3 cold winters (2017-18, 2018-19, 2021-22). The remaining 6 including 2015-16 were warm and in some cases, record breaking warm. 

• Like 2