Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2023-2024 OBS/Discussion

The Iceman

4 hours ago, RedSky said:

ECM sucks of course, like this winter

Your top priority today should be grab a 6-pack, go to the den, hang out w/the coyotes and ask them what the hell is going on.

40 days till Spring and DST starts March 10th....this winter is flying by.

28.jpg

22 minutes ago, snobal said:

anyone  have  snowmaps for  6Z run ?

here is he clown map I will say this, these large amounts being shown after a few days of runs should not be ingored. While we may never get these amounts, its a dam good sign that we will get at least half this amount as shown

gfs_asnow_neus_64.png

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Mikeymac5306 said:

Again a ways out so take it FWIW

gfs_asnowd_neus_54.png

this is snow map for positive snow growth is doable if it  holds for a couple of days however  a few runs are not enough to convince me of this being believable. We have burned way too many fricking times. When the NAM/Euro shows this  three days out , then I am all  in 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

this is snow map for positive snow growth is doable if it  holds for a couple of days however  a few runs are not enough to convince me of this being believable. We have burned way too many fricking times. When the NAM/Euro shows this  three days out , then I am all  in 

Your right. I grabbed the wrong one.  Apologies. 

I'm with you. These fantasy maps are killing everyone, and then one bad run like last night's 18Z and everyone is jumping off only to hit the trampoline at the bottom and bounce back for this mornings runs. 

The good about it is that there is something to track. You may or may not like the outcome. 

Only thing I'd like to add to this discussion...it is nice to see these threats popping up on guidance right as the upper pattern changes. Might prove my prior thinking wrong ie we have to wait to cash in. Alot of this is going to come down to dynamics/phasing time/location... especially early on. The Feb 13 threat is dependent on rates it appears. Not really a simple task, but achievable. Clipper track around the 16th is going to be dependent on 50/50 and confluence location and the building NAO ridge as it retrogrades from Scandinavia. And lastly, the PD threat around the 18th give or take is going to rely on NS phasing with the stj at the right time and location which is a function of how the NAO is oriented at the time and how strong. 

Again,  glad to see these pop up ahead of schedule and before the period I had originally circled on my calendar. This has the potential to be one of the best winter periods we've had in a while....but keep things in check because a fair amount still has to go right over the next 10 days. Pattern after this still looks ripe and active as well.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mikeymac5306 said:

Your right. I grabbed the wrong one.  Apologies. 

I'm with you. These fantasy maps are killing everyone, and then one bad run like last night's 18Z and everyone is jumping off only to hit the trampoline at the bottom and bounce back for this mornings runs. 

The good about it is that there is something to track. You may or may not like the outcome. 

This site should have a algorithm where any map greater than 7 days out won't upload. I mean these maps are just ridiculous so far out...

30F  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

As others have said a long way to go...plus with all of the moving pieces like the upper level lows still being off in the pacific....as Bernie Rayno says - windshield wiper effect for the next few days. Expect the GFS to go way north at 12z and then the Euro to come south....neither of course will be validation. All in all an active pattern but not one that is sure to deliver snow.

A few more beautiful mild February days on the way before the pattern changes to a more typical winter pattern next week. There is a chance some valley spots in the county could see near 60 degrees on Saturday. Rain looks to arrive on Monday night and if some models are to be believed could mix with or change to some wet snow toward Tuesday morning. Some models have multiple potential winter events over the next couple weeks so stay tuned.
Records for today: High 64 (1965) / Low 4 below (1895) / Precip 1.00" (1895) / Snow 10.0" (1895)

image.png.1d5c458d182026da633260804c5b61ad.png

5 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

This site should have a algorithm where any map greater than 7 days out won't upload. I mean these maps are just ridiculous so far out...

30F  

You mean those maps are not a lock?!  ;)

4 hours ago, ChescoWx said:

As others have said a long way to go...plus with all of the moving pieces like the upper level lows still being off in the pacific....as Bernie Rayno says - windshield wiper effect for the next few days. Expect the GFS to go way north at 12z and then the Euro to come south....neither of course will be validation. All in all an active pattern but not one that is sure to deliver snow.

Looks like the 12z GFS did not go way north.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Kevin Reilly said:

It is on an island by itself unfortunately.  Ukie, Euro, CMC, ICON vs. GFS and GEFS  AT least we can say there is still a chance!

I just took a peak at the 12z Euro and 12z GFS for the 2/13 storm and they are like polar opposites (Euro north and GFS a DC metro bonanza).  But thing is - the snow from them seem to happen for VD and stays around for the following week or so, and you can't really tell what any additional contribution would have been after VD with a 2nd storm around 2/18 - 2/21.  And at least for the GFS range, the storm from the 18th - 21st is a slider, going south of Philly metro.

floop-12z-gfs-2024020812.prateptype_cat-imp.conus-02082024.gif

1 hour ago, The Iceman said:

Well we have the wiggum rule going for us with temps soaring above 60 on Saturday... 

Philly may hit 60F+ Sat but the burbs may not. Probably get screwed w/a high of 59F.

Sitting on the porch, feels like a Fall day out here as the sun is starting to set... 

53F

Well we have the wiggum rule going for us with temps soaring above 60 on Saturday... 

Doesn't mean accumulating snow but probably will see some flakes fly by midweek. After around the 10th of Feb the wiggum rule % of verification begins to drop. We r right on the cusp.

Pretty interesting trend on the EPS from 12z yesterday to today(stolen from the mid atlantic forum). 

IMG_1416.gif

If I lived in the LV/Pocono's, i'd be getting excited. 

Not getting excited yet, it’s still 5 days away and a lot can change. This could easily come back north. Plus even on the colder models (minus the GFS) we still rain quite a bit.