Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2023-2024 OBS/Discussion

The Iceman

22 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

0z Euro is a MECS for 16th. EPS was also honking for the same time. CMC was close but couldn't figure out which energy to focus on. 6z GFS was a SECS.

Euro had the cities on the line. Usual caveats apply at this range...7 days out. 

Time to track

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_29.png

Got to get though the two super soakers and wind machines first.  At this point I am starting to wonder which storm is more impactful today's storm or Saturday.  I mean 978 mb storm in NW PA is no joke for here when it comes to heavy rain, strong winds, and probably severe thunderstorms. 

42 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

0z Euro is a MECS for 16th. EPS was also honking for the same time. CMC was close but couldn't figure out which energy to focus on. 6z GFS was a SECS.

Euro had the cities on the line. Usual caveats apply at this range...7 days out. 

Time to track

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_29.png

We track

After today's storm we should see the weather improving tomorrow with rare sunshine returning for one day on Thursday. Our next rain event takes place on Friday before a turn to much colder by Saturday with potential snow chances increasing early next week.
Records for today: High 68 (1930) / Low -1 (1970) / Rain 1.66" (1964) / Snow 3.0" (1977)
image.png.cfd690b85e707551a01f500c417e0021.png
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, ChescoWx said:
After today's storm we should see the weather improving tomorrow with rare sunshine returning for one day on Thursday. Our next rain event takes place on Friday before a turn to much colder by Saturday with potential snow chances increasing early next week.
Records for today: High 68 (1930) / Low -1 (1970) / Rain 1.66" (1964) / Snow 3.0" (1977)
image.png.cfd690b85e707551a01f500c417e0021.png

That storm Saturday is a repeat of today possibly stronger due to the fact todays storm is a 978-980 way out in western Michigan.  Saturdays storm 978 at Erie much closer to us. Heavy rain high winds and severe thunderstorms ⛈ 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, anthonyweather said:

We are like 2.5 weeks into winter…. Last time I checked we aren’t entering the end of winter

"Met winter". Dec 1 - Mar 1. Just an observation. No need to read anything more into it.

• Weenie 1

5 hours ago, Kevin Reilly said:

How did the space "Spire" Model do in the past snow event just for scoring reasons?

So the Spire has a nice Hit next wednesday. Does not allow for zoom past this view though. 

unfortunately, weatherbell only allows you to go back 4 previous runs.... and as far as what im reading, its only available through weatherbell

https://spire.com/weather/

SPIRE.png

Actually really interesting video from the creators. This model uses radio occultations, the space satellites integrate temperature, pressures and humidity . From what I understand, they compare the GFS with spire, and the one of the errors in the GFS is it consistently miscalculates MB by up to 10mb, which causes swings in the run to run consistency.

idk, its worth a watch.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=spire+weather+model+free&type=E210US739G0#id=1&vid=9701711166f0876451987a28b96876e3&action=click

actually as legitimate snow weenie LOL, I am pretty pissed tonight that Memphis TN will experience a true winter  on MLK way before us.  What do I mean?  The highs on Monday will be in the teens with snow 2-3 inches in memphis. Not alot of snow but dammit, the ratios will be so high with the extreme cold temps and it will be on the ground for days. What really gets me cranking as their overnight lows will be near zero on Monday night. Please make this f*&king rain go away. 15 inches of rain in less than 30 days enough.

• Weenie 1