Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2023-2024 OBS/Discussion

The Iceman

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I actually preferred the shut-the-blinds pattern tbh. At least we werent wasting our time chasing our tails. This is becoming yet another one of those seasons where MR/LR offer teases which fall apart as lead times shorten. 

This pretty much has been a shut the blinds look and it looks to continue until at least MLK day at least for the coastal plain. I never bought in to this storm for 95 and burbs because the issues with cold air were pretty apparent even when it was showing snow in the MR. I expect most of the LV to be disappointed as well if they are anticipating a warning level event. 2-4” will be much more common than 4-8” with much more mixing than they currently expect. Poconos should do well though. Now if the block gets as strong as the models are indicating, I honestly expect we get a cold/dry pattern with a southern snowstorm or 2 before we see anything significant. I think late month coming out of the block offers our best potential. Unfortunately this winter is looking more 2016 than 2002. 

59 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

This pretty much has been a shut the blinds look and it looks to continue until at least MLK day at least for the coastal plain. I never bought in to this storm for 95 and burbs because the issues with cold air were pretty apparent even when it was showing snow in the MR. I expect most of the LV to be disappointed as well if they are anticipating a warning level event. 2-4” will be much more common than 4-8” with much more mixing than they currently expect. Poconos should do well though. Now if the block gets as strong as the models are indicating, I honestly expect we get a cold/dry pattern with a southern snowstorm or 2 before we see anything significant. I think late month coming out of the block offers our best potential. Unfortunately this winter is looking more 2016 than 2002. 

I agree on all points. I posted the same in another subforum here. Cold overwhelms pattern, we turn dry and cold, southeast/southern MA get a MECS,...then we get our 1 and done 'chance' at a typical Nino winter storm as pattern relaxes. I haven't given up on exceeding last years totals but I have discarded any hope of a sustained wintry stormy and cold pattern.

Some spots had low temps in the teens this morning across the county including Coatesville Airport, Chester Springs and West Bradford Township with the lowest I could find being the 17 degrees in both Warwick and Nottingham Townships. Here in East Nantmeal the low was 20.2 degrees this was the lowest temp I have recorded since the 9.8 above zero last February 4th. Today will be the calm before the storm tomorrow. Snow should arrive during the noon hour from southwest to northeast across the area and quickly change to freezing rain and then over to plain rain by 4pm. The steadiest rain should end by 11pm or so. Total rain and melted snow could total around an inch. Some snow and rain showers could last for a while on Sunday morning. We should see a nice but chilly Monday before a larger rainstorm arrives on Tuesday.
Records for today: High 62 (1950) / Low 7 below zero (1904) / Rain 1.56" (1934) / Snow 3.6" (2003)
image.png.98ee1012fda7a9ade535ca57b15e2232.png

The bottom fell out overnight with the CAA, despite the breezes kicking up during that time, and my low was 23 this morning, with dp going as low as 15.  It's been slow to recover with the weak sun but it's currently 29 with dp 18.  Humidifiers working overtime.

1 hour ago, anthonyweather said:

Yessir! Oh I’m positive about it haha. Setting up the plow trucks today

You and penndotguy with the "big shovels" at the ready! :thumbsup:

41 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Eps says nope....cutter. euro op on its own. 

any snow  we get now today is a bonus however it  will be all gone in another 48-72 hours or so. The urban flooding will be unreal wednesday. Next weekend will not help much either for the flooding and again any snow that falls may not stick around. I think my first call was 6-8 in  for the LV for tonights snow/sleet event and have stuck with that call even though the LP is sticking its warm tongue at us right now. Would not be surprised if this event becomes a sleetfest. 1-3 in of sleet is a bitch to drive on for sure

Ralph, how is the  the week of 1/21 holding out?  LO LR GEM last night says - here I come baby. As I said weeks ago, that was the magic week where the cold stays put for awhile the SJS sends LP's  from the GOM toward our area. Get those shovels greased up baby and the Ben gay ready LMAO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

3 hours ago, Albedoman said:

any snow  we get now today is a bonus however it  will be all gone in another 48-72 hours or so. The urban flooding will be unreal wednesday. Next weekend will not help much either for the flooding and again any snow that falls may not stick around. I think my first call was 6-8 in  for the LV for tonights snow/sleet event and have stuck with that call even though the LP is sticking its warm tongue at us right now. Would not be surprised if this event becomes a sleetfest. 1-3 in of sleet is a bitch to drive on for sure

Ralph, how is the  the week of 1/21 holding out?  LO LR GEM last night says - here I come baby. As I said weeks ago, that was the magic week where the cold stays put for awhile the SJS sends LP's  from the GOM toward our area. Get those shovels greased up baby and the Ben gay ready LMAO

That week is looking like a January thaw on some ensembles. Cold pours in next week then rebounds as quick as it showed up. I hope you are correct tho in your call. I wouldn't be popping champagne bottle yet tho based on some of the telleconnections during that period. Last 5 days of Jan into Feb looks prime.

We are getting some additional snow showers crossing the County this AM. Temps are near to just above freezing in most spots so be careful out there on back roads and drives etc. Between the melted snow and rain since yesterday a few selected area totals include East Nantmeal 1.11" (2.0" snow) / Atglen 1.22" / Warwick 1.12" (2.0" snow) / Glenmoore 0.96" (1.3" snow) / Chester Springs 1.25" / West Bradford 1.43" / West Chester 1.44" / Kennett Square 1.28" We should see a couple dry days before our next rain event arrives on Tuesday AM this could briefly start as snow but will be a pretty significant rain event for the area. Temps will warm into the upper 40's to near 50 by then.
Records for today: High 70 (1907) / Low minus 2 (2014) / Rain 2.12" (1996) / Snow 22.8" (1996) which was the first day of our 5th largest snowstorm in history (28.9")
image.png.7780a651e94e301e4c441a374bfb1a30.png

My low ended up being 34 this morning and I hit 40 for a high.  Got one more hundredth of an inch of rain to make it 0.12" for the day & 1.30" for the 2 days, with 0.20" of snow yesterday.

Since the temp stayed above freezing all last night and during the daytime today, whatever wrap-around snow bands came through here melted into drizzle IMBY, where a few miles north and west (which is more open) apparently resulted in some accumulation.

Currently clearing (the sun even tried to pop out earlier today) and 38 with dp 32.

A nice calm before the storm type of day today. Sunny with highs near 40 degrees. Heavy Rain tomorrow from late morning through Tuesday night with around 1.5" to 2.5" of rain possible. Winds will gust as high as 40 mph by tomorrow night.
Records for today: High 67 (1998) / Low -5 (1981) / Rain 1.81" (1978) / Snow 6.1" (1996)
image.png.d8a570be1ae230b8e58f679569e054cd.png