• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

Here in Carlisle the high temperature exceeded 70 degrees for the first time this year with a high of 71.2 degrees.  The low this morning was a cold 36.0 degrees.  Diurnal range of 35.2 degrees.  I'm not quite ready to shoot into the 70's when my normal high is 48 and normal low is 27 for today's date.

18 hours ago, kdskidoo said:

if the fruit tree buds/ blossoms freeze this year it'll be 3 out of the last 5 years orchards in my area will have suffered severe losses due to freezing temps.  I am probably more aware of these facts than most because, although I don't have an orchard, i do grow other produce for sale at our local roadside stand and do buy fruit from a local orchard to resell.  last year our 300 tomato and 500 pepper plants were hit with that late freeze in May and I even covered them with row cover. most  everybody loves these early warm temps not realizing how detrimental they can be  until they go to buy local fruits and veggies and realize either they can't get them or the price is 5 times what it should be because of severely limited supply.

How did Dries orchard fare the last few years?

1 hour ago, mahantango#1 said:

How did Dries orchard fare the last few years?

I think last year surprisingly they did ok with the weather, although I heard they had some labor issues.  2022 was pretty much a disaster for most orchards around central PA.  usually the most vulnerable buds/ blossoms are cherries, peaches and plums.  that year even the apple crop was hit hard, if my memory is correct.  

• Thanks 1

Yesterday was the warmest day (65.1) in East Nantmeal since the 66.3 degree reading on November 9th. Other Chester County high temps yesterday included Atglen 65.2 / Chester Springs 66.7 / Devault 67.2 / Glenmoore 65.0 / Longwood 65.2 / Marshallton 67.8 / Warwick 67.9 and West Chester 66.7. Both today and tomorrow should be even a bit warmer but nowhere close to record levels before showers Friday and a turn to much colder weather next week.
Records for today: 84 degrees at Glenmoore/Honey Brook / Chadds Ford and West Chester (1990) / Record Low 1 below zero Coatesville (1896) / Rain 3.24 Coatesville Airport KMQS (2010) / Snow 15.2" Coatesville during the Blizzard of 1993.
image.png.ca8ed1b24ab4dad6a171df8cec9d87c4.png

19 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

I wonder if Sauss did his yard in the 50MPH gusts. 

I need to mow and would have mowed, but i have at least 1 truck, maybe 2 of limbs that have fallen off my birch tree. I have them piled up to take to our township yard waste facility this weekend and then i can get mow 1 in. i'm assuming Mike will be getting numero 2 in

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Wow, 61 at home currently.

My grass went nuts over the past 24 hours. Over half of it needs mowed soon.

The yard guy is here today so usually 2 weeks from his visit is my first mow though last year it was about 3 weeks.  If we get heavy frost next week it may be longer than 2 weeks.   MDT up to 52. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Dumbing it down for the masses...

The NWS Flagstaff put this graphic out on Facebook, in advance of the upcoming storm, to explain the difference between a watch and a warning.

FB_IMG_1710348079405.jpg

You serious?  Some people would say this is not acceptable.  Not me but I know some would. 

Dumbing it down for the masses...
The NWS Flagstaff put this graphic out on Facebook, in advance of the upcoming storm, to explain the difference between a watch and a warning.
FB_IMG_1710348079405.thumb.jpg.3b0332e2933ea1c2e7e853c0aa8fa7b8.jpg
I alert my toilet every time there is a Taco Warning.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Haha 1