Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I mean, going off an old man's memory, but as a kid I do remember seemingly every winter was much better to my NW. Always seemed like every storm dropped incrementally more snow the deeper into PA you got. A lot of mix/changeover storms that likely stayed primarily snow to my north and west. 

To be clear - I'm talking about the 1970s and not the 60s. I was only 5 when that decade ended. :)  

I mean, going off an old man's memory, but as a kid I do remember seemingly every winter was much better to my NW. Always seemed like every storm dropped incrementally more snow the deeper into PA you got. A lot of mix/changeover storms that likely stayed primarily snow to my north and west. 
If this is accurate thank God the Internet did not exist back then. The fair weather weenies on the forums would have rioted or jumped off a cliff

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

Here you go to compareScreenshot_20240202-121831_Chrome.jpg

Wow, who would have guessed there was that much snow in south central PA over a decade? This is for Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, southwest of Harrisburg. The average shown (57.4") is inflated by the exclusion of 1963-64 due to "missing" data for June. But summing up the monthly averages gives 53.9 inches. And even assuming the missing data for December 1968 & January 1969 was actually zero, gives an average of 51.5 inches. That assumption might seem plausible given the meager totals at CXY, but it's not accurate - as that data truly is missing from xMACIS for the Shippensburg Co-op.

image.png.d514fe447a0ffbb7137cca23bfdb4544.png

When I say the 1960s were insane I mean it. They literally had a +50% variance in decade average snowfall out of nowhere; forever tilting snow records so every year seems low. I can't find an anomaly so great in any other main weather variable over a decade.

13 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Wow, who would have guessed there was that much snow in south central PA over a decade? This is for Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, southwest of Harrisburg. The average shown (57.4") is inflated by the exclusion of 1963-64 due to "missing" data for June. But summing up the monthly averages gives 53.9 inches. And even assuming the missing data for December 1968 & January 1969 was actually zero, gives an average of 51.5 inches. That assumption might seem plausible given the meager totals at CXY, but it's not accurate - as that data truly is missing from xMACIS for the Shippensburg Co-op.

image.png.d514fe447a0ffbb7137cca23bfdb4544.png

This is insane. Neither Shippensburg, nor Harrisburg, has had even a single winter with snowfall in excess of their 1960s decadal mean since 2003, when 70.9" was observed at Shippensburg and 52.5" at MDT.

This is insane. Neither Shippensburg, nor Harrisburg, has had even a single winter with snowfall in excess of their 1960s decadal mean since 2003, when 70.9" was observed at Shippensburg and 52.5" at MDT.
Compare that with the 70 years before to blow your mind even more

• Like 1

1994 and 1996 were over 70" I believe

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

The Canadian still beating the drum on some BN lows and highs next week. 

Whether the colder Canadian ends up being right or not, this weekend thru about Wed or Thurs night looks fairly clear and we should see more typical diurnal temp ranges, with lows closer to average or perhaps slightly below (esp in the wake of the departing coastal). High temps trend more above average the later in the week one goes next week. Having more typical low temps should dampen overall + departures some. 

48 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

Do you have link to daily obs for those years

1960�s SNOW STORMS (millersville.edu)

I compared all of the individual storms between MDT and MU for the 60/61 and 60/62 years and overall nothing too fishy stands out.  A lot of observations are similar, with Harrisburg just doing better with a few big events, as Training noted.  Another small but meaningful difference is that MU only seems to track events over .5" and were just generally less accurate with stuff around or under an inch, so all of the .1-.4" type stuff that MDT recorded never shows up for MU and is responsible for a piece of the discrepancy.  Who knows how well-manned MU's site was at all times back then.  Not going to dig into it anymore but nothing nefarious in my eyes, outside of the neglecting of the <1/2" events by MU.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Whether the colder Canadian ends up being right or not, this weekend thru about Wed or Thurs night looks fairly clear and we should see more typical diurnal temp ranges, with lows closer to average or perhaps slightly below (esp in the wake of the departing coastal). High temps trend more above average the later in the week one goes next week. Having more typical low temps should dampen overall + departures some. 

Yea, that was my thought on bringing it up twice.  The Canadian really seems to do well on days where radiational cooling seems likely. 

1960�s SNOW STORMS (millersville.edu)
I compared all of the individual storms between MDT and MU for the 60/61 and 60/62 years and overall nothing too fishy stands out.  A lot of observations are similar, with Harrisburg just doing better with a few big events, as Training noted.  Another small but meaningful difference is that MU only seems to track events over .5" and were just generally less accurate with stuff around or under an inch, so all of the .1-.4" type stuff that MDT recorded never shows up for MU and is responsible for a piece of the discrepancy.  Who knows how well-manned MU's site was at all times back then.  Not going to dig into it anymore but nothing nefarious in my eyes, outside of the neglecting of the
That makes me question measurement methods as bubbler said. If Chester county is similar I'll buy that a demarcation line from hell set up over our forum for awhile.

12 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

That makes me question measurement methods as bubbler said. If Chester county is similar I'll buy that a demarcation line from hell set up over our forum for awhile.

Just did some quick haphazard checking of a number of sites in and around to the west of the Philly area and they all seem to align more with MU's numbers.  Likely just a good number of storms that played out with mix lines developing over the area -- something we're all too familiar with ha. 

1 hour ago, Wmsptwx said:

Who is this east nantmeal clown show? We need more sauss and less sepa posters.

You talking about that fugitive they caught last fall, the 2nd worst person ever to set foot in East Nantmeal?

That is Chris Broussard who once banged out a tweet that said "Multiple Sauces have confirmed a trade" or something like that and the meme took off from there. 
Right, but tell me that doesn't look like a lovechild of Chuck Todd and Eric Andre would look like.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Very sunny here.  Still only 25.  Heavy frost has put the wham jam on the grass trying to get the wrong idea.

Clouds finally breaking up. The grass here has been basically green all winter and I can see at certain areas that it was still growing even though the rate of growth is so small. I get the assumption your trying to get a jump on the lawn mowing competition for 2024.