Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

14 minutes ago, paweather said:

All good @Blizzard of 93 we know the pattern is changing. Just not the specifics of when yet. 

Based on tellies/ens guidance, looks like the pattern changes just after santa heads back up the chimney.  AO/NAO headed - and PNA slightly + is going to help and ens guidance supports this.  Unfortunately while the 500's look better as we approach New Years, the source regions are not flooded w/ arctic air.  2m temp snapshot shows this. At least flow is better and hoping the cold can load up in the land of the canooks...but this is a Nino so I'm not sure cross polar air is headed here yet.  Better is the word for now.

gfs-ens_T2ma_namer_52.png

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I still think much of the issue is using ensembles to try and forecast ground truth.   If you have a 10-model ensemble and 9 runs show the highs will be in the 50's and one run shows the highs will be near 0, the resulting ensemble mean is going to be grossly understated despite only 10% of the suites showing such a solution.   It is similar to the difference between an average salary and a median salary.  With average salary figures, the large wage earners skew the numbers to make the resulting figures look between than reality.   Using the ensembles to "check up on the op's" is a better use, IMO....or to look for potential.  

You're a man after my own heart Bubbs.  Great little statistical lesson here, in that whenever the mean greatly veers from the median you will have a skewed distribution.  The income example you gave is the most classic example of a skew-right distribution.  A classic skew-left distribution would be age of death.  Not everything is a normal bell curve, as lovely as that would be ha.  I'm surprised the ensembles don't drop the extreme outliers, to avoid such undue influence, which is something that is often done in real world statistics.  That, or use something like the interquartile range as a baseline from which to draw the mean.  Go ahead and add this to my list of mathematical weather gripes, to go along with how we calculate the daily average temp.

Busted pretty high here overnight, with a low of only 33.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

You're a man after my own heart Bubbs.  Great little statistical lesson here, in that whenever the mean greatly veers from the median you will have a skewed distribution.  The income example you gave is the most classic example of a skew-right distribution.  A classic skew-left distribution would be age of death.  Not everything is a normal bell curve, as lovely as that would be ha.  I'm surprised the ensembles don't drop the extreme outliers, to avoid such undue influence, which is something that is often done in real world statistics.  That, or use something like the interquartile range as a baseline from which to draw the mean.  Go ahead and add this to my list of mathematical weather gripes, to go along with how we calculate the daily average temp.

Busted pretty high here overnight, with a low of only 33.

You are digging in deeper than I did.  Ha.  I have thought about the possibility of having a limit on extreme outliers but then it brings into question 1) What if the outlier is right this time?  2) Where do we draw the line on what Outlier is?  20 degrees different than the next closest member?  I think a good example of skewed distribution is the snow fall member maps I posted yesterday.  I think most people understand this, but it is very clear example of the issue in using ensemble snow means to predict much...the snow means that matches these members was 3-4" through much of the LSV but only 6-7 of the 30 members below show that result. The rest show no snow or more in the range of 1-2" (18 in a quick count for 1-2") but the gigantic outputs of P26, P23, P03, and P14 not only cancelled out the ones showing nothing, they double what the majority of 18 show. 

image.thumb.png.16b6d0df6e273454c52815e247045a55.png

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TimB said:

Oh and also the signal for negative height anomalies in the longer term is much more muted in the long range GEPS and EPS. The GEFS is the only one keeping the faith that it’s more than a few days of kinda cold.

I was starting to buy in yesterday when the GFS Op was veering toward a very cold Eastern half of the US but disappointed to see the last few runs bleed it away.   All of this is still 300-hour stuff, but it is what the output is.  It does bother me that the GFS is using the new Fv3 core, but the GEFS is not. 

I was starting to buy in yesterday when the GFS Op was veering toward a very cold Eastern half of the US but disappointed to see the last few runs bleed it away.   All of this is still 300-hour stuff, but it is what the output is.  It does bother me that the GFS is using the new Fv3 core, but the GEFS is not. 
I have nightmares from fv3

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

A mostly cloudy but dry day today with temps struggling to get much above the mid 30's in many spots across the county. Temperatures tonight will again drop below freezing....but they looks to be the last below freezing temperatures for almost a week. The upcoming week looks mild but nowhere near record warm levels we could see highs in the low 50 from Christmas Day through Wednesday. A couple showers are possible Christmas Eve morning with a greater rain event likely by Tuesday into Wednesday. Much colder weather looks to arrive in time for New Years Eve.
Records for today: High 64.7 (2013) / Low -1 (1960) / Rain 1.63" (1983) / Snow 5.8" (1908)
image.png.de3c9a468e81c7ae42181a7c1c57af47.png

6 hours ago, mahantango#1 said:

Yesterday afternoon I seen a huge flock of geese (I estimate about 100 or so) headed south in a perfect V. The same thing happened last year in December about a week or 2 before we had that cold outbreak before Christmas. I wonder if this is trying to tell us something.

Nope, those are the lazy ass freeloader geese that stay year-round now. All the others have flown south long ago. My father has a 1-acre pond that I have to chase these shit machines off of every other day because they eat all the feed he puts out for the geese he raises. 

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Only got up to 35.1 here today so far - currently it's 34.5.

@Mount Joy Snowman we're going to pull off the rare combo of a warmer than forecast low followed by a colder than forecast high. And...pulling it off without precip.

Haha I was thinking that same thing just a little while ago. The rare daily double! 

• Like 3

My father coined that term 40+yrs. ago. lol. That's how long I've been chasing those bastards off his pond. 
For how often they charge you it's obvious they have little fear of humans. I think we need to have geese specials for a month, thin them out, and reinforce a fear of humans in them

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

My father coined that term 40+yrs. ago. lol. That's how long I've been chasing those bastards off his pond. 
That's interesting. The only other time I have ever come across somebody using the term "shit machine" was Jim Norton referring to bears.

"First you're a shit machine, now you're a rug." 5:10

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

I fucking hate geese and ducks. I was at Big Bear Mountain in NY when I was a child visiting my great-grandmother and a duck pecked me in the foot. I was minding my own business as a little kid and this asshole smashed my foot.

Every single one of them should die. I choose to live with golden retrievers on the off-chance they come up on a dead fowl and can swim out there and bring it to me so that I may micturate on its corpse. It pains me that my son LOVES ducks.

Fuck ducks. Ducks suck.

15 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

That's interesting. The only other time I have ever come across somebody using the term "shit machine" was Jim Norton referring to bears.

"First you're a shit machine, now you're a rug." 5:10

That's because you never met my dad.