Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah gfs and euro are rather impressive in the eastern half of SNE.

I'm okay with this at this point.   Not that you asked, but my previous contention was if or when N/stream continued to get stronger, it would trade spaces - that ends up more dominant over the lead Miller A.  But that's gone the other way overnight. A consensus for less N/stream potency  ( I know that's exactly what everyone wanted!), and the contention goes away. 

-which I still suspect reality is some 10 or even 20% less with the Miller A, btw.  Similar to the last waste of time.  In fact, you can see some shallowing of the PP in the guidance as the mid range prepares its relay into the shorter terms. Wouldn't surprise me if it even degenerated into an open wave/miasma of WAA rains... sure heavy, but moving right along.

Next winter potential is Dec 28-31st from what I'm looking at.

• Like 1

As an after thought on that ... we seem to have moved into an era of model tech where this correcting less amplified is all but dependable.   How much so from situation to situation is perhaps where the majority of the variability really lies - not if it will.   I began to notice this about 5 years ago, around the time all the fab three went through significant version overhauls.

I don't know if that is by design, or if it is just an emergent property of the state of the art. No way to know as just a standard consumer.  The pragmatic angle on that is one of protecting civility by "maybe" describing the worst a given situation is capable of becoming. However, in some sense ... the 'cry wolf' phenomenon.  I suspect that D3.5 is a critical 'conservation of momentum' window - if the amplitude in question relays through that period and maintains its panache on D3 ... perhaps the top 10 .. 30% is more dependable. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

As an after thought on that ... we seem to have moved into an era of model tech where this correcting less amplified is all but dependable.   How much such from situation to situation is perhaps where the majority of the variability really lies - not if it will.   I began to notice this about 5 years ago, around the time all the fab three went through significant version overhauls.

I don't know if that is by design, or if it is just an emergent property of the state of the art. No way to know as just a standard consumer.  The pragmatic angle on that is one of protecting civility by "maybe" describing the worst a given situation is capable of becoming. However, in some sense ... the 'cry wolf' phenomenon.  I suspect that D3.5 is a critical 'conservation of momentum' window - if the amplitude in question relays through that period and maintains its panache on D3 ... perhaps the top 10 .. 30% is more dependable. 

Noticed this too, Jan 22 did maintain its intensity but that's the last modeled storm I can remember that stayed constant in beast mode.

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yeah Euro playing catch up again to GFS . Big boy  coming in hot  

Take the under bud(except the coast/cape)…this will continue to be less impressive as we close in…just like last week. I’ll be the first to admit if I’m wrong. I have zero problem doing that.  But as Tip lamented, these systems the last few years always seem to get much less “eye opening”, shall we say,  as we close in.  

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

Take the under bud(except the coast/cape)…this will continue to be less impressive as we close in…just like last week. I’ll be the first to admit if I’m wrong. I have zero problem doing that.  But as Tip lamented, these systems the last few years always seem to get much less “eye opening”, shall we say,  as we close in.  

Once again.. it goes west you roar . Think big . I don’t think he was saying anything like that 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

21 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Noticed this too, Jan 22 did maintain its intensity but that's the last modeled storm I can remember that stayed constant in beast mode.

Yes...   Also, the short duration but very intense cold snap last February.   That was also a phenomenon that relayed into shorter terms and did not back down.  Interesting

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Once again.. it goes west you roar . Think big . I don’t think he was saying anything like that 

Oh ya I agree..if it goes west. But that’s a big if still.  What he meant was, that these, and most storms of late, are modeled up in the high end of things, and then little by little they come back down to more run of the mill type stuff..that’s what he meant. Unless you get inside of 2.5-3 days, and it’s still showing a beast..well then maybe we have something here.  Let’s see what 12z brings us today?  

45 minutes ago, weathafella said:

It’s all about duration.  50 mph gusts within 30 mph sustained are one thing.  50 mph sustained with occasional higher gusts can cause widespread power issues.   Personally, I’d prefer mundane winds but I don’t get to choose my weather.

Can you imagine if you were like an X-Men, and your weird mutation super power was that you could be like this urban legend cousin of "Storm" - kind of like the fading seen in "Empire Strikes Back" when fearing the loss of the "Luke," Yoda says to "Obi Wan" 's ghost, "No ... there is another." Only where she created lightning and thunder, you are actually capable of conjuring whole synoptic constructs? 

ho man...  If anyone found out.  You'd be so heavily sought after in every dimension of society, from the sophisticated 'monitor state' capacity of the Pentagon, to the stalker hired by the mystery unknown agency, Kevin, no place would be safe on Earth. You'd have to be constantly on the move ... Something like "Jason Bourne," always 2-steps ahead or else they'd catch you.  Hook up to all these EEG leads trying to figure out how to extract your ability from your brain and recreate it in an AI weather doom's day weapon.   That's kind of a cool outre sci-fi idea actually.

Or if you were smart about it... you could just make weather predictions capable of moving the Markets.  Creating culture modalities...etc...  But you'd have to cleverly fail ( deliberately) once in a while. Because you cannot risk the expose' tipping the NSA as to your ability, or you'd become the above sort of target ...etc.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Can you imagine if you were like an X-Men, and your weird mutation super power was that you could be like "Storm" 's cousin - where she created lightning and thunder, you are actually conjure whole synoptic constructs?  

ho man...  If anyone found out.  You be heavily sought after in every dimension of society, from the Pentagon to stalker Kevin, no place would be safe on Earth. You'd have to be constantly on the move ... Something like "Jason Bourne," always 2-steps ahead or else they'd catch you.  Hook up to all these EEG leads trying to figure out how to extract your ability from your brain and recreate it in an AI weather doom's day weapon.   That's kind of a cool outre sci-fi idea actually.

Or if you were smart about it... you could just make weather predictions capable of moving the Markets.  Creating culture modalities...etc...  But you've cleverly fail ( deliberately) once in a while. Because you cannot risk the expose' tipping the NSA as your ability, or you because the above sort of target...etc.  

I smell a Sci-fi publication....

43 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

As an after thought on that ... we seem to have moved into an era of model tech where this correcting less amplified is all but dependable.   How much so from situation to situation is perhaps where the majority of the variability really lies - not if it will.   I began to notice this about 5 years ago, around the time all the fab three went through significant version overhauls.

Agreed.  It seemed 15-20 years ago you’d get the ETA and MRF to be too tame and something bombs and hugs the coast or is a super deep low with stronger winds.

Now it is almost always the models are going too far in the strength side of the system.

Maybe it’s a quickening jet, or whatever but the vast majority tend to become less impactful as H+0 approaches.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah. It could still tickle east like the last one. 

If my evil plot to have it be weaker overall transpire, it may come east for that physical reason.  I mean a stronger/overly zealous system in the models would tend to end up more west.  just sayn'