• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023-2024 Fall/Winter Mountain Thread

The Alchemist

Temperature finally warmed up to the mid 50's! That gave me the chance to take down exterior Christmas lights, clean up the 2200 Sq feet of decks we have around the house pick up a bunch of downed limbs for the firepit. It is sure looking like we may get some NWFS Sunday into Monday. So a 5 day break and it's back to winter. There is still a lot of snow on the mountains above 4K.

• Like 3

Snow reports from Saturday from Raysweather:

Watauga
There is about 8 inches total at the end of 1/20/24. The strong winds created deep (~24 inches) drifting in this area.
Madison
Finished with 7.5 inches. Total includes report from yesterday. Snow lasted until 7pm. Currently-3°
Ashe
0.5 new snow overnight. Soft, powdery, fluffy and brrrr☃️
Buncombe
A light dusting
Mitchell
Total snowfall for yesterday, 1/19/24 is 3 inches
Buncombe
Although snow showers continued, the accumulation at 9 am is the same as 5 pm yesterday.
Johnson
Snow continued falling all through the night
Avery
At 12:30 today we have a total of almost 6 inches. It's hard to measure with the wind and the leftover snow from the Monday and Tuesday event. It's currently snowing lightly (arctic haze) at 2:30. I will report at the end of the day or late evening, if we have more accumulation.
Madison
Snow flurries accumulated an additional 1.5 inches of snow overnight (measured at 8AM). The snow flurries started this morning and tapered off at about 5 PM. Moderate dusting but not measurable except for the 1.5 inches recorded early this morning.
Ashe
Snow total so far from today and yesterday. Was 4" by sunset Friday night, then another 6.5" overnight. Total 10.5 by 8:20 am Saturday. Still snowing, but light as of noon. Wind starting to pick up. Never mind, it's snowing again.
Haywood
steady light to moderate snow fell overnight only flurries remain as of 8am, temp at 8am is 3 degrees
Watauga
Additional snow accumulation overnight. Strong winds and brutally cold single digit temps.
Watauga
Heavy snow continued most of Friday beginning with a glazing of ice. Totals of 5 more inches with the base of 6 inches last week. Without the strong winds,our accumulations would be greater.
Alleghany
Snow flurries with no accumulation.
Ashe
1 inch of snow and calm winds
Watauga
8.5” at 1 p.m. all flurries have stopped.
Watauga
Additional light snow overnight, storm totals 7” by 9:00 AM.
Buncombe
on and off flurries and snow showers continued overnight in Beaverdam N Asheville. An additional inch for a total so far of 1.6. Temp is 11 at 10:00
Madison
At 7am the temp is 5 with calm wind. We have 2.7 inches of powdery snow in the last 24 hours with 1.2 inches since 5pm yesterday. We have about 5 inches of snow pack on the ground.
Watauga
An additional 2 inches of really dry snow overnight
Watauga
(8" is the storm total since the snow started Fri morning. ) Let's be honest folks. This is sorta fun (the first big one of the season always is as long as you are warm and safe inside your home with no frozen pipes or power outgages) Has now been snowing without a complete break for 24 hours. Yesterday's strong winds have created some 2-3' drifts this morning. But the winds have quieted down at least so far this morning (10-15mph range) allowing the snow to 'stick' on the Fraser firs and other evergreens here in the gardens-really pretty.
Madison
Dawn: fluffy dry snow fell after midnight. Not currently snowing. Looks like ideal skiing powder. Certainly a set of snowshoes would aid a woodswalk.
Avery
Taken 12:34 pm. Fairway # 1 Mountain Glenn GC
Watauga
As of 7:45 am this morning add another 3 inches to yesterdays 4 inches here at ASM. Winds are starting to increase now so feel certain there will be some significant drifting. It is now 5 degrees and the "Arctic Haze" Ray often speaks of is in full effect today. Stay warm folks!
Watauga
12:45 am update- 7 inches, still snowing.
Ashe
8:00 Saturday we're at about 4". Light snow is still falling.
Haywood
A light dusting of snow
Galax
An additional very light accumulation this morning from overnight flurries. Not enough to measure. Very cold but no wind as of right now.
Yancey
At 8:00 AM it is 9 degrees F on Bolens Creek. We got a bit more snow through the night.
Watauga
Additional 2 inches.
Ashe
Snow flurries yesterday added another 1.3 inches so today, there's 3 inches of frozen, crunchy snow on the ground with a very fluffy, lite 1-1.3 inches added to that. Skies are mostly cloudy with the sun peaking out here & there with 17 degrees at 1PM
Ashe
Just a dusting overnight covering yesterday's light snow, but near zero at 8:00 a.m. Now sunny at noon; nothing melting, very slippery outside.
Watauga
With an additional half inch that fell overnight, there is almost an inch at 7:00 am. 13 degrees here.
Watauga
2” of new snow fell overnight, bringing the 8:00 am total to 9” from this Friday-Saturday storm.
Ashe
2.1 inches total from yesterday and today. We received 0.25 inches since midnight and is currently just flurries and 9 degrees at 7 am.
Watauga
10;am Well been waiting a long time for this big snow A snow spotter's dream! We had additional snow fall last night of about 1-1.5 in Hard to tell exactly how much because of wind blown snow, but after taking 4- 5 measurements around the yard our total is 8 in. Temp is 8 with light flurry action. ENJOY THE NC MOUNTAIN SNOW STAY SAFE AND WARM!
Watauga
Amount since start on Friday. Probably had more but wind blew it around.
Johnson
This is the total for all accumulation this week. Steady snow fall continuing .
Watauga
Got about 2 inches overnight to add onto the 5 from yesterday (Friday)
Henderson
Temperature at 7:00 AM 9 degrees F. Trace amount of snow on grassy surfaces.
Mitchell
Its hard to get an accurate measurement because of the wind but my best estimate is 3 inches for the storm total from yesterday and last night as of Saturday 8am
Carter
Total of 8 inches for this storm. Western facing slope over 3200 ft. Snow has finally stopped at 5:30 pm
Ashe
This is Friday- Saturday morning 8:30am.
Watauga
2 inches of additional overnight powdery snow
Watauga
Additional snow over night raised the total from this snowfall from 4.5" to 8".
Buncombe
As of 8:00 a.m. an inch and a half on open ground. Temp was 6.5.
Buncombe
Light dusting overnight 1/19-1/20 covering grass.
Watauga
10:45 am. Light snow falling so thinking that it's over for the most part. 12" in most parts of the yard. Waiting for the plow to clear the road.
Watauga
5 inches Total from storm. Average from drifts / low spots
Watauga
Continued snow throughout the night, light to moderate snow showers continue this morning.
Watauga
Elev 4032, as of 9am: The 2 day total (1/19-1/20) is around 7”. Could be a little more, could be a little less. It’s impossible to get an accurate measurement with the extreme wind and prior snow from 1/15.
Ashe
Light snow and flurries overnight and this morning. Total for two days about 2.3 inches. 10 degrees at 7:20 AM.
Buncombe
10° this morning, very cloudy with flurries and maybe 2 inches of snow where it has not been disturbed.
Watauga
There is approximately 5 inches of total snowfall on the ground since yesterday. It is very difficult to measure due to high winds and being situated on the very top of the mountain. It appears that we only got an additional .5 inch since last night, and it has been a relatively calm day, with bouts of flurries. We are definitely not experiencing the active snowfall that downtown Boone has been today (looking at the live webcam).
Watauga
No additional accumulation today. At least 10 inches on ground total. No melt today
Watauga
Hard to measure but about an inch was added to totals from yesterday.
Madison
What a snow!! Six inches is storm total.
Watauga
only light snow and flurries since sunrise.
Watauga
Little overnight accumulation accompanied by strong winds and single digit temps.
Watauga
As of 1:00A.M we are at 11". On heavy snow blown areas, we are over 2.5ft. At this time, snow is still falling at a steady pace and winds are light, but not heavy like Friday. We will see what the rest of the day has in store. We are already at negative Temps. Dreading tomorrow. Stay safe, and stay home! As of 1:00 P.M- Snow continued through the night, dumping an additional 2 inches. Currently on and off flurries, bad a brief few hours this morning of a null and pretty calm besides the temps. Still have a heavy artic haze, almost blinding when you have to hike in it to take care of a Ranch. Will update later!! Stay safe!!!
Watauga
Snow accumulations are now at 6 inches. Lots of wind and snow drifts that are 1-2 feet deep.
  • Like 2

Take it with a grain of NaCl, but the 6z GFS op brings a series of snow chances. These show up and disappear run to run. Hopefully, they start getting in a 5 day window. GSP not very excited by the upcoming upslope. It looks better to me than what they think, but they have forgotten more than I know. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ncjoaquin said:

Take it with a grain of NaCl, but the 6z GFS op brings a series of snow chances. These show up and disappear run to run. Hopefully, they start getting in a 5 day window. GSP not very excited by the upcoming upslope. It looks better to me than what they think, but they have forgotten more than I know. 

Absolutely good storm tracks and the 540 line nearby they whole run. Of course 0Z was much less enthusiastic, so as you say we really need this to get inside 5 days to take seriously 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ncjoaquin said:

No winter is over guys. Get ready for spring and the beach. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

All snarkiness aside, I think the pattern late next week is really fascinating albeit unlikely to produce snow for most (other than a little NWFS of course). Some nice North Atlantic blocking showing up causing a stagnant flow. So strange to see a map like this...

prateptype_cat_ecmwf-imp.conus (3).png

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tyler Penland said:

18z GFS certainly wasn't bad. I have a hard time buying any long term torch given the Nino and the fact that the models blasted a January torch back in December that never really materialized beyond some short warm ups.

If a February "torch" gives me another foot of snow I'll be thrilled.

Yeah the torch has never materialized..We've been at or below normal essentially.  I really don't think this so called torch will either.  Glad I live in the mountains.  I don't envy those that don't.