Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023-2024 Fall/Winter Mountain Thread

The Alchemist

Just now, Met1985 said:

I think it's going to miss us to the west lol.

I wouldn't be surprised at this point if it dove all the way down to the Florida panhandle to give Tallahassee 6 inches while we get 10s and wind..

But seriously, we need it to dig deeper or it will end up being a threat for the NE while east of the Apps gets nothing again

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

At this point I'm not committing to anything.. Too many wobles and too many times I've seen things change as close as 48 hours out. We know there will be energy and cold air to work with. 

More like 12-24 hours out now. LOL

• Like 1

At this point I'm more interested in what we've got to do to get under that initial finger of precip.

The trend is just not our friend with regards to healthy cyclogenesis in time for western areas. For what feels like the thousandth year in a row the northern stream continues to just entirely overwhelm the pattern. Someone must've forgot to let it know about the El Niño year.

Has it ever happened where Gatlinburg got a foot of snow and Asheville got nothing?  This one just isn't making sense to me.  That initial baroclinic leaf just stops at the line?  The skew T shows a pretty saturated column but the downsloping in the lower levels dries it out.  The skew T still shows snow is the p type though.  I have more questions than answers right now on this one.  

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Hvward said:

Has it ever happened where Gatlinburg got a foot of snow and Asheville got nothing?  This one just isn't making sense to me.  That initial baroclinic leaf just stops at the line?  The skew T shows a pretty saturated column but the downsloping in the lower levels dries it out.  The skew T still shows snow is the p type though.  I have more questions than answers right now on this one.  

@Hvward, I can’t remember how the models progressed during that Dec 2017 storm but do I recall it being basically a non-event until the short range came into view?

• Like 2

[mention=6495]Hvward[/mention], I can’t remember how the models progressed during that Dec 2017 storm but do I recall it being basically a non-event until the short range came into view?
I just went back and read the thread. The Nam/navgem led the way on that one. Gfs and euro had nothing for us 2 days before the event.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, BooneWX said:

@Hvward, I can’t remember how the models progressed during that Dec 2017 storm but do I recall it being basically a non-event until the short range came into view?

I believe that one trended back NW to us, but could be wrong. No need to get worried at this point we’re one 50 mile shift away from a 4-8” event for us.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

I just went back and read the thread. The Nam/navgem led the way on that one. Gfs and euro had nothing for us 2 days before the event.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Haha yep the Navgem, its one shining moment.  I think I posted it several time.  The southern periphery of the moisture was really under modeled in Dec 2017 and it ended up being much more than models showed.  There was much less of a southern component though from my memory.  Hopefully short range models begin to give us a better idea here soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1