• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Autumn 2023

Saw a mention of this in the MA thread and instantly remembered...44 years ago today, I measured 1" of snow on this morning. Game #1 of the World Series in Baltimore was postponed on this night because of snow and cold. I was 14 at the time and didn't fully realize then how incredible it was to have measurable snow this early. 

Edit: the date that I measured 1" of snow was actually the morning of the 9th. Game #1 was played on the 10th after being rescheduled. 

Double edit: Never doubt my stats - the snow fell the morning of the 10th. I confused myself. :)  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Saw a mention of this in the MA thread and instantly remembered...44 years ago today, I measured 1" of snow on this morning. Game #1 of the World Series in Baltimore was postponed on this night because of snow and cold. I was 14 at the time and didn't fully realize then how incredible it was to have measurable snow this early. 

Edit: the date that I measured 1" of snow was actually the morning of the 9th. Game #1 was played on the 10th after being rescheduled. 

Double edit: Never doubt my stats - the snow fell the morning of the 10th. I confused myself. :)  

I was in my 3rd year at UMBC. It was very elevation dependent.  If you/anyone is familiar with the UMBC campus, there is a loop around the campus with the west side the first hill of any elevation on the piedmont, with east being the coastal plain. This wx d*ck cut classes to go up to the top of loop to watch it snow and accumulate some vs go to class at the bottom of the hill and watch wet snow and rain fall. But there is a song written about me, so I've got that going for me.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

I was in my 3rd year at UMBC. It was very elevation dependent.  If you/anyone is familiar with the UMBC campus, there is a loop around the campus with the west side the first hill of any elevation on the piedmont, with east being the coastal plain. This wx d*ck cut classes to go up to the top of loop to watch it snow and accumulate some vs go to class at the bottom of the hill and watch wet snow and rain fall. But there is a song written about me, so I've got that going for me.

You're not alone - I was a freshman in high school in Millersville (PA) and was sitting in math class when the teacher came out of nowhere and slapped his hand down on my desk. Scared the living shit out of me. He said "Michael, stop staring out the window...haven't you seen snow before?"

Jerk move by him. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

You're not alone - I was a freshman in high school in Millersville (PA) and was sitting in math class when the teacher came out of nowhere and slapped his hand down on my desk. Scared the living shit out of me. He said "Michael, stop staring out the window...haven't you seen snow before?"

Jerk move by him. 

Similar situation, but the teacher said I'd never make money staring out a window. Little did he know I'd be a truck driver and that I indeed would make my money staring out a window...lol

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

I got number 14 in but it has really slowed down with the 30's and low 40's temps.  Has not grown much in 2 days here.  Will probably kick back in with the higher temps the rest of the week. Already 58 here. 

I'm now at 32 and mowing every 3-4 days again. I mowed late Saturday afternoon and I noticed this morning that I'll be cranking it up again tomorrow. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Similar situation, but the teacher said I'd never make money staring out a window. Little did he know I'd be a truck driver and that I indeed would make my money staring out a window...lol

I mean, you'd think they would understand? :)

Everyone made such a big deal (rightfully so) over the snowfall we had on 10/29/2011 - so what is more impressive? And this isn't a question just for you, but to all - 

Is 5-6" of snow that falls on 10/29 more impressive, or 1" of snow that falls on 10/10?

For me, hard choice. I'm going to say 1" on 10/10 only because I'm pretty confident that I will never see snow on the ground again here during the 2nd week of October. 

Not that I'd expect 5"+ on 10/29, either. 

Mowing for the foreseeable future:
p168i.gif?1696949151
That lowered rain by an inch since this morning. With this drying trend we will probably go from 2" to less than 1/2"by game time just as this year as been.

It's so rare to go from 1/2" to 2"+ in 2 days, yet the opposite happens 10x

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Highs both today and tomorrow should be within a couple degrees of normal in the mid to upper 60's. Sunny skies for the next 3 days to close out the work week. Bout of course the weekend means rain chances. Greatest probability of rain will be Saturday into Saturday night with less chances on Sunday. Chilly on both days with highs only in the mid-50's.
Records for today: High 87 (1904) / Low 23 (1929) / Rain 2.62" (2002)
image.png.a87b4376038d18390838f72c10199446.png

1 hour ago, mitchnick said:

Cfs updated 850 October forecast. Better late than never.

usT850MonInd1.gif

Yeah thats nice.  I'm expecting Nov/Dec torch(s) as "normal" (uses rather loosely) NINO climo suggests that may be the case, but so far, autumn has been real nice.  Just need to find a way to get the storms ot of the way midweek, and not on weekends.