Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Idalia Banter

WxSynopsisDavid

53 minutes ago, Seminole said:

I have seen pictures of Killearn Estates after Hurricane Kate in 1985 and the roads were impassable. Oak tree after oak tree across the roads. Hemine, Irma and Michael were child's play compared to what Kate did to Tallahassee. 

I'm still mad at Kate for cancelling the REM show I had tickets to in Tallahassee (though, as a Gator then and now, a little bit of Tallawhackee destruction made up for it. B)

1 hour ago, jerseyshorewxguy said:

My son is a sophomore at FSU. How long was city paralyzed because of Kate---how long did power outages last?  We were without power 17 days for Sandy but that would be brutal in Tally with August/early September heat.

Always a sandy name drop.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jerseyshorewxguy said:

My son is a sophomore at FSU. How long was city paralyzed because of Kate---how long did power outages last?  We were without power 17 days for Sandy but that would be brutal in Tally with August/early September heat.

I was a sophomore during Kate living in the dorm...we actually never lost power (may have been a generator for campus but I don't recall) but parts of Tallahassee took more than three weeks to get power back. They sent us home early for Thanksgiving since the city was such a mess. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mr Bob said:

I was a sophomore during Kate living in the dorm...we actually never lost power (may have been a generator for campus but I don't recall) but parts of Tallahassee took more than three weeks to get power back. They sent us home early for Thanksgiving since the city was such a mess. 

I love canebeard’s chase footage from Kate. So grainy and 80s but filled with cool vintage shots

2 thoughts:

1.  Looking at the swamps and topography of Florida's armpit, I'd say the odds are up to almost 50% that 1 or more dumb disaster wankers "Imma documentary stormchaserz!" ends up getting themselves killed by poor decisions.

2.  Could be some really terrible results depending on where the surge for this thing hits.  So many very low lying houses.  Take a look at all those canal streets in Suwannee:  https://www.google.com/maps/@29.3297975,-83.1433486,2760m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu

You've got mobile homes on the water that will flood with as little as 5' of surge and some wave action:  https://www.google.com/maps/@29.3308642,-83.1400039,3a,15y,234.07h,86.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDUHcWJw9R1rGrvVwgnjaTQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu

And even the homes built on stilts may have to contend with a lot of battering tree and mobile home debris atop the surge, driven by the winds.  1-2 miles inland not so advantageous when it's that low lying.  We saw in Ike the way many stilt homes couldn't take the high surge + wave action, I'd guess it would have been even worse if there had been a mile of 3' elevation forested swamp in between.  Might initially blunt  the waves, but  debris pile would eventually slam forward.

No way I'd try to ride it out in Cedar Key, Suwanneee, Yankeetown, Horseshoe Beach, or even parts of Steinhatchee.  And with all those snappable pines and thick forests, I would never mock anyone well inland evacuating from fears of wind damage. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tezeta said:

Weenie away. When you guys are burning the midnight oil tonight complaining about weird eyewall structure come back to me. It’s going to strengthen but not like you think. 

Drinking beer and will make a pot of coffee later to experience Idalia all night. I've been waiting for this night since we got our electricity back on after Ian knocked it out here for a few days last year.

Here in Gulfport, FL until this morning we were very concerned that we were on the inside edge of the target of a Major Hurricane. Now we are relaxing, hopefully not prematurely, that we'll enjoy some needed rain and very cool winds to watch. My friends who have businesses downtown might have a bit of a storm surge flood, but we should fair out well again. Lucky again in Tampa Bay. :)

39 minutes ago, Witness Protection Program said:

2 thoughts:

1.  Looking at the swamps and topography of Florida's armpit, I'd say the odds are up to almost 50% that 1 or more dumb disaster wankers "Imma documentary stormchaserz!" ends up getting themselves killed by poor decisions.

2.  Could be some really terrible results depending on where the surge for this thing hits.  So many very low lying houses.  Take a look at all those canal streets in Suwannee:  https://www.google.com/maps/@29.3297975,-83.1433486,2760m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu

You've got mobile homes on the water that will flood with as little as 5' of surge and some wave action:  https://www.google.com/maps/@29.3308642,-83.1400039,3a,15y,234.07h,86.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDUHcWJw9R1rGrvVwgnjaTQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu

And even the homes built on stilts may have to contend with a lot of battering tree and mobile home debris atop the surge, driven by the winds.  1-2 miles inland not so advantageous when it's that low lying.  We saw in Ike the way many stilt homes couldn't take the high surge + wave action, I'd guess it would have been even worse if there had been a mile of 3' elevation forested swamp in between.  Might initially blunt  the waves, but  debris pile would eventually slam forward.

No way I'd try to ride it out in Cedar Key, Suwanneee, Yankeetown, Horseshoe Beach, or even parts of Steinhatchee.  And with all those snappable pines and thick forests, I would never mock anyone well inland evacuating from fears of wind damage. 

Who was the moron who tried to film in Mexico beach during Michael and had to break into someone’s house to survive? 

1 minute ago, Prospero said:

Drinking beer and will make a pot of coffee later to experience Idalia all night. I've been waiting for this night since we got our electricity back on after Ian knocked it out here for a few days last year.

Here in Gulfport, FL until this morning we were very concerned that we were on the inside edge of the target of a Major Hurricane. Now we are relaxing, hopefully not prematurely, that we'll enjoy some needed rain and very cool winds to watch. My friends who have businesses downtown might have a bit of a storm surge flood, but we should fair out well again. Lucky again in Tampa Bay. :)

Hell yeah brother. I would love to just stay up all night taking in the breeze as it floats by offshore

Just now, Tezeta said:

Hell yeah brother. I would love to just stay up all night taking in the breeze as it floats by offshore

We've had two bands; 35 mph gust and sideways rain on the first for about ten minutes, and now a 31 mph gust and light rain. We'll get more, but standing outside right now it feels soooooooo great after a hot ass summer with very few thunderstorms.

I love the feel of a tropical system, at least when it is not destroying everything.