• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023-2024 Ski Season Thead

Skivt2

It’s different with snowmobiling because the law requires a helmet but I always stress their importance when I’m teaching safety classes. One of my pet peeves are the reality shows set in Alaska or some other cold region that show people riding without a helmet. You could never do that for any length of time without getting frostbite or a branch in the eye.  I imagine it’s similar with skiing. A full face helmet or helmet and goggles provide comfort and protection. 

• Like 4

On 12/24/2023 at 10:59 AM, Layman said:

Are helmets required PPE at resorts nowadays or just a smart decision to keep the semi-important grey matter in tact?

It's been many years since we've been snowboarding and are planning on taking the kids this year while seeing if taking a break for half our lives has had any impact on our abilities...

I’ve never heard of them being required anywhere.  Some require them for children’s ski school lessons or junior programs though, that’s gaining popularity.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Angus said:

I would never ski without a helmet. For both safety and comfort reasons. They are so much warmer than a hat and provide protection from not just a hard fall but the random branch. My son took a hard fall at Stratton maybe 15 years ago on a steep, icey slope that would have scrambled his brains if he hadn't been wearing a helmet. I will actually be wearing a new Mips technology helmet tomorrow when I hit the slopes in BC. 

It has certainly saved me more than once. I would never ski without one again. I rarely see anyone without one these days.

18 hours ago, bwt3650 said:

It looks like winter again, but as predicted, flurries cold temps and snow making do nothing to make conditions any better. It’s really bad. Icy, skied off and crowded. Desperately need 6 of natural to make it skiable again.

5eed3c8d9fffc8d113ff27639677bbad.jpg
86db43ae31d419e59a29bc48e4fc06f2.jpg

Fingers crossed the next 10 days turns things around up north.  Plenty of season left.  Get our seasonal cold air in and a few producing storms and things can get back on track.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Layman said:

Fingers crossed the next 10 days turns things around up north.  Plenty of season left.  Get our seasonal cold air in and a few producing storms and things can get back on track.  

100 percent agree.  The emotion of last weeks wipe out makes it feel like it will never snow again, but we all know there's plenty of time for a remarkable season to take shape.  Last year at this time wasn't much different and this year has much better potential.  The high of Nov/first two of December was what made it tough.   Already looking up with the last few model cycles.

2 hours ago, mcglups said:

Can I get a few runs on Sunday morning and then drive back to RI, or will this turn into a 10-hour commute! As it looks, Saturday will be a fun day to return after a 3-week hiatus. Bring on the ski season for 2024!

Do you typically go to the more northern mountains like Bretton Woods, Wildcat and Attitash?  Or do you make it further down to Loon, Waterville, etc?  

I can't recall the last time I was up in Berlin or how long of a ride it is!  

If these model runs hold together, it's looking like an adventurous ride south for you on Sunday.  

On 12/26/2023 at 7:09 AM, Layman said:

Thanks for all the feedback regarding helmets, I appreciate it. 

btw: I took a fall on my head while skiing Whitewater on Sunday in my new helmet that otherwise would have been bad news. I was making a jump turn and hardly moving but fell forward and my noggin was the first thing that hit the slope...

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Angus said:

btw: I took a fall on my head while skiing Whitewater on Sunday in my new helmet that otherwise would have been bad news. I was making a jump turn and hardly moving but fell forward and my noggin was the first thing that hit the slope...

Ouch!  Glad you're Ok!  

My perception of the "new" era of helmet wearing is skewed due to my recollection of a 20+ year younger self never wearing one on the slopes without any issue at all.  "It worked then, it should work now"...However, my 20+ year older self realizes everything has gotten a little more difficult, slower and less adept during that multi-decade break.  There's a lot more on the line these days and I'll definitely be wearing a helmet if/when we get on the slopes this season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Layman said:

Do you typically go to the more northern mountains like Bretton Woods, Wildcat and Attitash?  Or do you make it further down to Loon, Waterville, etc?  

I can't recall the last time I was up in Berlin or how long of a ride it is!  

If these model runs hold together, it's looking like an adventurous ride south for you on Sunday.  

I ski at wildcat, at the tail end of the season I'll venture to sugarloaf.  From door to door it is 255 miles.

Who knows, maybe I'll ski last run and attempt the drive at 5pm.

• Like 1

Word to the wise... If Berkshire East gets a foot+ of light snow, don't go hard charging under the new quad.  Danger is lurking.  Seriously.

That said, the surfaces on the snowmaking trails has been exceptionally good considering, guns have been blasting, and the next 4 days should all be worth the trip.

• Like 2

Wildcat skied quite well this morning. As typical with my routine, I was the 10th or so chair to start the day and there were 2 main trails down the mountain (total trail count of 9) and I found that the amount of slippery/icy spots were a minimum and the groomed frozen granular was enjoyable. With a slight respiratory illness and fatigue from my medication, a six-pack of runs is sufficient to satisfy my craving, restock the stoke, and it is especially fun to watch the little kids in the ski team zipping down the mountain. Wildcat has a vibe that is stuck in the 80’s (or 90's I get the confused, ha!) and while I go there because it is 18 miles from my home (and the epic northeast is just $555), I think it is a great mountain. For Sunday, I’m heading to Attitash for the opening of the high-speed quad to the top of the mountain, replacing the “slowest triple chair ever”. Let’s hope the cutters coming up are cold enough that even a soaking of rain doesn’t tax the snow pack across the region. 

20240106_100217.jpg

• Like 2

Wildcat is a great mountain. Basically, had the NE pass so I could ski there but the place got zero attention from Vail. Really sad. Spring skiing there is especially good with the views and high elevation.

• Like 1

Being about 60' AMSL means we don't have a whole lot of elevation over here but we can still make do when the driveway gets covered.  The kids got a few "runs" in today before they're back to the wheeled bikes in the warm rain on Wednesday.  

image.jpeg.7ba85f530036e93ef7356ab80c7198c5.jpeg

• Haha 1

Prior to last season, I went up to Watatic and scouted things out hoping I'd get up there but so far nope. It was pretty impressive how the locals have kept things cleaned out. Definitely would like to ski some fresh snow over a pretty bullet proof base though.

With that said, I've had two great days of nordic skiing at Great Brook in Carlisle. 

One of the local weatherman agrees.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

My guess is Wildcat sees 15” tonite 

Sugarloaf may do never better 

Bretton woods will be shadowed like usual on SE winds but they hopefully see some upslope to resurface after 

Rinse and repeat Saturday 

If this comes to be, Sunday is going to a wild day at Wildcat. Thirty inches of compactable snow will allow for ample trails to be open. I have come to learn that as much as I enjoy powder conditions, I don't have the stamina to deal with the chop after the first run, and will benefit greatly from more open terrain. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mcglups said:

If this comes to be, Sunday is going to a wild day at Wildcat. Thirty inches of compactable snow will allow for ample trails to be open. I have come to learn that as much as I enjoy powder conditions, I don't have the stamina to deal with the chop after the first run, and will benefit greatly from more open terrain. 

There will be a lot of compaction, it’s like low 20’s near wildcat and powder is piling up fast . Then it’s gonna get heavy and heavier and compact . Anyone that Clears the powder after 6 hours would prob see 20-25% higher snow totals