Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023-2024 Ski Season Thead

Skivt2

3 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

I want to head up to Stratton this weekend to break in my new boots and skis.  But wondering if the "planned opening" this Saturday will end up happening looking at the weather... 

highly doubt it’s worth it. As of right now the only trail with snow on it is franks. I just don’t see how they can pull it off. Head to killington, worth the extra hour drive. 

The next 2 weeks looks really solid for an early start…sans the mildish few days later this week…but that torch really shrank in both magnitude and duration as we got closer…once that cold front comes through on Saturday, I think it’s pretty cold through months-end barring any major changes (or the clown range OP GGEM scoring a coup over the rest of guidance). Should be a lot of snow making and plenty of upslope opportunities from that early-season lake effect on full blast. Hopefully we can get a good synoptic event in there too so that some sense QPF is put down in the base. 

• Like 2

The next 2 weeks looks really solid for an early start…sans the mildish few days later this week…but that torch really shrank in both magnitude and duration as we got closer…once that cold front comes through on Saturday, I think it’s pretty cold through months-end barring any major changes (or the clown range OP GGEM scoring a coup over the rest of guidance). Should be a lot of snow making and plenty of upslope opportunities from that early-season lake effect on full blast. Hopefully we can get a good synoptic event in there too so that some sense QPF is put down in the base. 

It looks like a great start to the season..cold right when you want it for the build outs…what are your thoughts on the fantasy storm post thanksgiving?

On 11/13/2023 at 4:29 PM, bwt3650 said:

They pushed opening day to weds 11/22.

I saw, might head to Okemo instead.  And no its not "worth it" just to ski but I have new equipment and I might have to make custom modifications but I want to test everything out and see and not waste time on a legit ski weekend doing that.  

I saw, might head to Okemo instead.  And no its not "worth it" just to ski but I have new equipment and I might have to make custom modifications but I want to test everything out and see and not waste time on a legit ski weekend doing that.  

I wasn’t the worth it comment, lol. You’ll never get a worth it from me. I day trip 4 plus hours to ski rime/reason. Clearly, not worth it on paper, but always worth it!

Stowe is probably the best opening this week with 2k vert.

On 11/13/2023 at 7:16 PM, bwt3650 said:

It looks like a great start to the season..cold right when you want it for the build outs…what are your thoughts on the fantasy storm post thanksgiving?

Well, for one....GGEM's warmer solution for next Wednesday that I mentioned in the first post seems like it might verify....so that's annoying for the ski areas. That said, it looks pretty brief for the warmth/rain in that.

I do think NNE will have a shot or two post-Thanksgiving....that pattern is decent. Even if it's just a lot of rotting LES running into the mountains and getting reinvigorated by upslope. That's still going to be nice. Hopefully we can score one solid QPF snowy system though to lay down a good base.

1 hour ago, Angus said:

just saw a post that Sugarloaf opens tomorrow with the SuperQuad running which is listed at almost 1,800' vertical feet. Basically, Tote Road top-to-bottom with a few off ramps but that's 3.5 miles long.

Indeed! Seen a few piles built up, I am sure they cured well in the recent days and the trail is ready to go. SL is such a great mountain, but far from my reach in accessibility. Even with a place up north, it is still 100 miles to SL. Hopefully all the mountains score some natural wet snow for a solid base on Wednesday and a few days afterwards of cold and snowmaking, should create a reasonable foundation for the season.

Season officially underway for me with a few runs at Wildcat this morning. The old school Tomcat Triple Chair up about 1,400 vertical feet with a run on "cat walk" then "middle wildcat" then "bobcat". Conditions were firm yet fun, and crowds were minimal. A fair amount of natural snow about 2,500 feet, I could see a 12+ storm allowing for terrain expansion.

• Like 2

Season officially underway for me with a few runs at Wildcat this morning. The old school Tomcat Triple Chair up about 1,400 vertical feet with a run on "cat walk" then "middle wildcat" then "bobcat". Conditions were firm yet fun, and crowds were minimal. A fair amount of natural snow about 2,500 feet, I could see a 12+ storm allowing for terrain expansion.
Took drive up to visitor center. Wildcat must have been pretty breezy and chilly.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Day 02 at Wildcat this morning and conditions were just a bit better than yesterday where it seems the grooming was a bit better. Quite a few more people had shown up by the time I had left, looking ahead I've heard they are putting a cap on lift ticket sales, but I'd be curious on any given day to know how many people are actually buying lift tickets versus pass holders. Daily tickets are right now at $103 and peak season it will be $129, meanwhile you can get an epic northeast pass (unlimited, no restrictions) for $555 so it just hard to imagine that anyone is buying daily tickets. Onward and looking forward to expanded terrain in the weeks to come!

Certainly no natural snow options at Stratton today, but major props to the snowmaking team there for getting a decent slice of terrain open. 3 distinct 1350' vert routes were available to lap off the Ursa Express, with one extremely crowded egress route back to the base. Icy conditions for sure, but for day 1 on snow I can't complain.

IMG_1732.jpg

Looking up North American/Frank's Fall Line from the mid mountain lodge

• Like 3

On 11/26/2023 at 12:14 AM, Boston Bulldog said:

Certainly no natural snow options at Stratton today, but major props to the snowmaking team there for getting a decent slice of terrain open. 3 distinct 1350' vert routes were available to lap off the Ursa Express, with one extremely crowded egress route back to the base. Icy conditions for sure, but for day 1 on snow I can't complain.

IMG_1732.jpg

Looking up North American/Frank's Fall Line from the mid mountain lodge

I quickly scrolled to the bottom of this page, saw your pic and immediately thought "That's the Sasquatch pose".  We have another sighting!

image.thumb.png.baa4ada8ddeb37d15347ca0361db117f.png

• Haha 1