• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2023

Stormlover74

85 / 71 sunny and warm.  Hot and humid next 40 hours.  Western Atlantic Ridge to its peak west expansion and with a SW flow pulling-in strong heat from the western ridge.  Mid - upper 90s as 850 mb temps near / >18c.   20C 850 MB tomorrow ahead of front so depending on clouds some of the pre frontal heat can overperform.    W. Atl. Ridge contracts and trough into the northeast pushes strong front through with potential strong storms later Sat (7/29)).  Sun (7/30) clearing and back to / below normal.   Mon (7/31) continues near/below with next shot at storms.   

Next month to open near / below normal and then a bit back and forth bias normal or cooler through the first week.  The Ridge is entrenched out west with trough into the NE, the Western Atlantic Ridge is building west by the second week of next month and trough migrating into the GL with a more humid/warm S/SW flow with more storms chances.  Moving to an overall warmer and humid / stormier.

vis_nj_anim.gif  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 101 (1949)
NYC: 99 (1949)
LGA: 98 (1499)

Lows: 

EWR: 58 (1962)
NYC: 57 (1903)
LGA: 60 (1984)

Historical:

1819 - A small but intense hurricane passed over Bay Saint Louis, MS. The hurricane was considered the worst in fifty years. Few houses were left standing either at Bay Saint Louis or at Pass Christian, and much of the Mississippi coast was desolate following the storm. A U.S. cutter was lost along with its thirty-nine crew members. The storm struck the same area that was hit 150 years later by Hurricane Camille. (David Ludlum)

1898: A severe thunderstorm produced considerable hail (some stones to 11 ounces) in Chicago, Illinois business district. Some people were hurt, not by hail, but by several hundred runaway horses spooked by the hailstones.

1930 - The temperature at Greensburg, KY, soared to 114 degrees to set a state record. (The Weather Channel)

1934 - The temperature at Grofino, ID, climbed to 118 degrees to establish a record for Idaho. (The Weather Channel)

1952 - A severe storm with hail up to an inch and a half in diameter broke windows, ruined roofs, and stripped trees of leaves near Benson, AZ. The temperature dropped to 37 degrees, as hail was three to four inches deep, with drifts 46 inches high. (The Weather Channel)

1986 - Severe thunderstorms moving out of South Dakota across Iowa produce high winds which derailed eighteen piggyback trailer cars of a westbound freight train near Boone, IA. Sixteen of the cars fell 187 feet into the Des Moines River. The thunderstorms also spawned a number of tornadoes, including one which caused twenty-five to fifty million dollars damage at Sloan, near Sioux City, IA. (Storm Data)

1987 - Thunderstorms in Nevada produced wind gusts to 70 mph at Searchlight, reducing visibilities to near zero in blowing dust and sand. Thunderstorms in Montana drenched Lonesome Lake with 3.78 inches of rain. (The National Weather Summary)

1988 - Thunderstorms drenched Wilmington, NC, with 3.33 inches of rain, bringing their monthly total 14.46 inches. Seven cities in Michigan and Minnesota reported record high temperatures for the date. Marquette, MI, hit 99 degrees, and the record high of 94 degrees at Flint MI was their tenth of the month. (The National Weather Summary)

1989 - Afternoon thunderstorms produced large hail and damaging winds in Massachusetts. Early evening thunderstorms over Florida produced wind gusts to 68 mph at Fort Myers, and evening thunderstorms in South Dakota produced nearly two inches of rain in twenty minutes at Pierpoint. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

This might be the first "historic" heatwave where I do not even hit 90 degrees. Just a few days ago I had a forecasted high of 92, 99, and 95. Yesterday was 89, forecast for today is 89 again, and tomorrow 87. Sunday through at least Wednesday looks like a late September pattern and that could extend. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, SACRUS said:

85 / 71 sunny and warm.  Hot and humid next 40 hours.  Western Atlantic Ridge to its peak west expansion and with a SW flow pulling-in strong heat from the western ridge.  Mid - upper 90s as 850 mb temps near / >18c.   20C 850 MB tomorrow ahead of front so depending on clouds some of the pre frontal heat can overperform.    W. Atl. Ridge contracts and trough into the northeast pushes strong front through with potential strong storms later Sat (7/29)).  Sun (7/30) clearing and back to / below normal.   Mon (7/31) continues near/below with next shot at storms.   

Next month to open near / below normal and then a bit back and forth bias normal or cooler through the first week.  The Ridge is entrenched out west with trough into the NE, the Western Atlantic Ridge is building west by the second week of next month and trough migrating into the GL with a more humid/warm S/SW flow with more storms chances.  Moving to an overall warmer and humid / stormier.

vis_nj_anim.gif  

I think that the second half of August could be the hottest part of this summer, overall. I think that it's possible.

WX/PT

1 minute ago, Wxoutlooksblog said:

I think that the second half of August could be the hottest part of this summer, overall. I think that it's possible.

WX/PT

Shades of 2002 if that happens....I think some places had 10 days straight of 90+  That summer however was alot drier than this one....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wxoutlooksblog said:

WX/PT

Amazing that right now it appears that we won't be going above normal anytime soon, once the heat passes tomorrow. Early August looking very comfortable, but it sounds as if we could make up for that in the 2nd half of August. 

1 minute ago, Brian5671 said:

Shades of 2002 if that happens....I think some places had 10 days straight of 90+  That summer however was alot drier than this one....

This is not 2002. There should not be any comparisons. I'm not saying we're going to have 10 consecutive 90+ days in August. Just that we may average more above normal temperatures than the rest of the summer has had here. It often happens after a normal or cooler than normal first half.

WX/PT

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

That was early AUgust.  We'll see id go warm / humid and much warmer than the first 7 - 8 days.  

22 minutes ago, Wxoutlooksblog said:

This is not 2002. There should not be any comparisons. I'm not saying we're going to have 10 consecutive 90+ days in August. Just that we may average more above normal temperatures than the rest of the summer has had here. It often happens after a normal or cooler than normal first half.

WX/PT

A agree in this case it was a cooler 1/3, warm 1/3 and we'll see if August (1/3) end up on the plus side by way of warmer period once past the first week.  Think we'll tunr more humid similar to end of June/early July towards the second week with that comes some hot days and storms.

My neighbors got together and “voted” to move our block party to Sunday because of the “weather.”  Nothing worse than a Sunday block party. If you don’t like hot weather and a chance of thunderstorms, don’t have a block party in the middle of summer, lol. I’m pretty pissed off about it.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

89 at 12pm…kind of meh for a heatwave 

The height and expanse of the Western Atlantic Ridge / Bermuda high was less than forecast from the medium range.  The 850 MB >20c stayed just south or we dealt with clouds/storms.  the 594 line is just south of the area.  We do get a blast of the stronger heat  >20c 850 mb temps overnight into tomorrow but the front  and storm clouds may blunt the highest readings potential.  Still think we get some upper 90s in the hot spots today (97/98).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TWCCraig said:

86/74 Heat Index: 97

Maybe we can hit 90 before the sea breeze. Not much of a breeze at all today compared to yesterday

Maxed at 89.2 before the sea breeze front came through. Really struggling to hit 90 out here. Dewpoint is up by 2 but temp still hovering around 89

5 minutes ago, psv88 said:

91/74/102 here. Officially a heatwave. 

Park already at 90, so heatwave there as well. 

By tomorrow will have 12 90 degree days. Not terrible. Figure another 2-3 in August and we will be around 15, which is about average for out here

Park didn't hit 90 on Wednesday, only got to 87.  Have to wait for tomorrow.

CLIMATE REPORT 
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK, NY
217 AM EDT THU JUL 27 2023

...THE CENTRAL PARK NY CLIMATE SUMMARY FOR JULY 26 2023...

CLIMATE NORMAL PERIOD 1991 TO 2020
CLIMATE RECORD PERIOD 1869 TO 2023

WEATHER ITEM   OBSERVED TIME   RECORD YEAR NORMAL DEPARTURE LAST      
                VALUE   (LST)  VALUE       VALUE  FROM      YEAR     
                                                  NORMAL           
TEMPERATURE (F)                                                          
 YESTERDAY                                                           
  MAXIMUM         87    346 PM  98    1940  85      2       81       

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Allsnow said:

89 at 12pm…kind of meh for a heatwave 

Agree..supposedly  this was going to be the worst day with highs in mid 90s with heat index in mid 100s but its a tually gorgeous with deep blue skies a rarity this year light breeze and still not even 90. It was pretty humid this morning but lessened toward noon. Can anyone explain why we are less oppressive today than yesterday's  blast furnace mostly cloudy heat. I topped at 92/106.

Is tomorrow  a beach day? Will the storms not reach the coast til after 6? Would rather go tomorrow  rather than Sunday because I fear a cloudy period after frontal passages even if the morningg starts out blue and sunny

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, uofmiami said:

Park didn't hit 90 on Wednesday, only got to 87.  Have to wait for tomorrow.

CLIMATE REPORT 
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK, NY
217 AM EDT THU JUL 27 2023

...THE CENTRAL PARK NY CLIMATE SUMMARY FOR JULY 26 2023...

CLIMATE NORMAL PERIOD 1991 TO 2020
CLIMATE RECORD PERIOD 1869 TO 2023

WEATHER ITEM   OBSERVED TIME   RECORD YEAR NORMAL DEPARTURE LAST      
                VALUE   (LST)  VALUE       VALUE  FROM      YEAR     
                                                  NORMAL           
TEMPERATURE (F)                                                          
 YESTERDAY                                                           
  MAXIMUM         87    346 PM  98    1940  85      2       81       

Wow….

1 minute ago, winterwarlock said:

Agree..supposedly  this was going to be the worst day with highs in mid 90s with heat index in mid 100s but its a tually gorgeous with deep blue skies a rarity this year light breeze and still not even 90. It was pretty humid this morning but lessened toward noon. Can anyone explain why we are less oppressive today than yesterday's  blast furnace mostly cloudy heat. I topped at 92/106.

Is tomorrow  a beach day? Will the storms not reach the coast til after 6? Would rather go tomorrow  rather than Sunday because I fear a cloudy period after frontal passages even if the morningg starts out blue and sunny

I actually thought Wednesday afternoon was more oppressive than anything we have had the last two days. 

It actually feels like a nice summer day outside currently…

• Like 2