• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Summer 2023

32 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

You may be in the line of fire soon.... a line forming somewhat near you and to the south. 

I'm just west of that lihe now with only a few drops, but the southern end of the line is intensifying/expanding westward and now looks headed right for me. But these storms have been tricky with all the redevelopment as they move NE, so it can still miss me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

I'm just west of that lihe now with only a few drops, but the southern end of the line is intensifying/expanding westward and now looks headed right for me. But these storms have been tricky with all the redevelopment as they move NE, so it can still miss me.

The cells that are heavy are really moving around fast with little in the way of predictability but hope you get it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mitchnick said:

It looks like it did not turn out as good as it initially looked.  Maybe tonight.  

1 minute ago, Coop_Mason said:

Fairfield area was jackpot today.  

Yea, it formed just to the Northeast of Blue Ridge Summit.  Blue Ridge is the drought capital right now as to people I know.  One person on the downward side of Route 16 going west is at less than 15" for the year so far.  Incredible.   There is a flood watch out just to our Southwest. 

Lesser chances of showers today across the County but still warmer than normal for nearing mid-September. Cold front crosses the area on Tuesday night and that will set up a below normal stretch of great weather that should last through the weekend. Would not be surprised to see some valley locations touch the 40's by Friday morning.
Records for today: High 99 (1897) / Low 34 (1924) / Rain 3.35" (1960)
image.png.aa35994576b0d36cbc9475e5d51a3045.png

Daily rainfall of .88" here.  "Event" total going back to last Thursday of 1.8".  Pleased.

Looking forward to some fall-like weather moving in through the midweek.  Anyone think Cape Cod needs to worry about Lee or do we think she'll be safely out into the Atlantic.  NHC seems to think New England will be spared but some models say otherwise. 

16 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Daily rainfall of .88" here.  "Event" total going back to last Thursday of 1.8".  Pleased.

Looking forward to some fall-like weather moving in through the midweek.  Anyone think Cape Cod needs to worry about Lee or do we think she'll be safely out into the Atlantic.  NHC seems to think New England will be spared but some models say otherwise. 

It seems every year the NE thread tracks one that eventually slides farther East as the event gets closer.   Still have to watch it but how often do we see a tropical or sub-tropical system sitting off the central coast of Maine?  

• Like 1

As we reach the one-third point of the month, MDT is rocking a +6.5 departure and sitting at an average temp of 78.  Gonna be hard to knock that all the way back, particularly if we have another warmup after this cool spell, which seems possible.  For the record, only two years in history have had a mean temp of greater than 72 -- 1961 and 1931.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

As we reach the one-third point of the month, MDT is rocking a +6.5 departure and sitting at an average temp of 78.  Gonna be hard to knock that all the way back, particularly if we have another warmup after this cool spell, which seems possible.  For the record, only two years in history have had a mean temp of greater than 72 -- 1961 and 1931.

Can you imagine if CXY was still the official observation site like it was in 1961? Looks like CXY is averaging 80.3F so far this month. Wow.

image.png.81b26db3603183c3b4bc8d340edbccba.png

17 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Can you imagine if CXY was still the official observation site like it was in 1961? Looks like CXY is averaging 80.3F so far this month. Wow.

image.png.81b26db3603183c3b4bc8d340edbccba.png

Yep, crazy.  Seems like a good time to re-up an article I've posted a couple of times previously on the history of the Harrisburg climate reporting sites.  A complicated history indeed, and can be a bit messy to follow at times.  Seems like CXY was used as the official site from 1939 to 1991.  I love the blurb near the end on the "accuracy" of snowfall observations at MDT haha.  Anyway, always worth a read.  Here ya go.....

https://www.weather.gov/media/ctp/ClimateStationHistory/Harrisburg LCD Site History.pdf

NOAA's NCEI has released the August 2023 and Summer 2023 rankings for the contiguous U.S. It was the 9th warmest August, and 15th warmest summer nationally. 

In Pennsylvania, it was a rather pedestrian 58th warmest summer on record, with a mean temperature of 68.5F, just 0.2F above the 20th century mean. In Chester County, NOAA's official ranking says that it was the 47th warmest summer on record countywide with a mean temperature of 72.5F, 1.0F above the 20th century mean.

image.thumb.png.1f2b56e1e2b66618861a2c49b479c594.png