• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Summer 2023

If the summer months of June-July-August ended today this summer would be the 12th coldest summer across 130 summers since records began in Western Chester County in 1894. Of note 5 of the top 20 chilly summers have all occurred since the year 2000. By contrast as you can see only 2 of the hottest top 20 summers on records have occurred since 2000.

image.png.a64b25ce28aa0248227c73c68ed6e648.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, canderson said:

Hmmm MDT is already locked in a top 15 hottest summer iirc. 

MDT is well BN for the summer as a whole right now...those norms do change like has been stated before...but they currently stand at -1.7 for June, July and August.  Removing norms from the equation and looking at mean temps, they currently stand at number 29-32 as of yesterday.

image.png.8a3e443dd4f71b4f33580ade466a903e.png

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Mow #11 in the books but it was partial as about a 1/3 of the lawn is not growing.  I am pulling the plug on the met summer mowing season.  I am sure I mow again before winter but going to end Met summer with 11 mows as no more mows in August.  It was a stretch to mow today. 

Grass is growing rapidly here. I mowed Friday, today doesn't look like I mowed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

Grass is growing rapidly here. I mowed Friday, today doesn't look like I mowed.

Some of ours has died.  I will have to plant seeds in 3-4 weeks.  But where the grass lives, it is green vs. a week or two ago but hardly growing.  I bet I mow once or twice more in 2023 but not much more than that.   My neighbor has not mowed the sunny portion of his yard since June.  

7 hours ago, ChescoWx said:

If the summer months of June-July-August ended today this summer would be the 12th coldest summer across 130 summers since records began in Western Chester County in 1894. Of note 5 of the top 20 chilly summers have all occurred since the year 2000. By contrast as you can see only 2 of the hottest top 20 summers on records have occurred since 2000.

image.png.a64b25ce28aa0248227c73c68ed6e648.png

I'd love to know where these top coldest summers are here in Cumberland because I want to sleep with my windows open at night in the summer which I used to be able to do as a kid but can't anymore because it's just way too hot lmao

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, TheDreamTraveler said:

I'd love to know where these top coldest summers are here in Cumberland because I want to sleep with my windows open at night in the summer which I used to be able to do as a kid but can't anymore because it's just way too hot lmao

MDT/Harrisburg for Met summer mean avg temps.   Only one since 1992. 

image.png.68f977481cf25aa3a9d4c07972446564.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Some of ours has died.  I will have to plant seeds in 3-4 weeks.  But where the grass lives, it is green vs. a week or two ago but hardly growing.  I bet I mow once or twice more in 2023 but not much more than that.   My neighbor has not mowed the sunny portion of his yard since June.  

Wow it must be very dry down there. I guess I should count my blessings, with all the rain we had up here. I know one thing. I'm tired of weed wacking. I never weed walked so much as this summer since towards the end of June.

1 hour ago, mahantango#1 said:

Wow it must be very dry down there. I guess I should count my blessings, with all the rain we had up here. I know one thing. I'm tired of weed wacking. I never weed walked so much as this summer since towards the end of June.

We have had less than 16" for the year with it being extra dry in June and most of July.   Now, with everything so dry, normal is not enough.  The grass would need rain every 2-3 days to try and recover.   Under trees it is green again though. 

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

We have had less than 16" for the year with it being extra dry in June and most of July.   Now, with everything so dry, normal is not enough.  The grass would need rain every 2-3 days to try and recover.   Under trees it is green again though. 

That's amazing. Tamaqua sits at 31.95" so far this year. Nearly double yours. Clearly a case of the haves and have nots.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Voyager said:

That's amazing. Tamaqua sits at 31.95" so far this year. Nearly double yours. Clearly a case of the haves and have nots.

I am at the northwest edge of an area that has received much less rain than surrounding areas...it runs down into N MD and parts of VA and WV.  We are in D1 with small pockets of D2 throughout.   Much of it is attributed to convection drying out between "mountain chains". 

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I am at the northwest edge of an area that has received much less rain than surrounding areas...it runs down into N MD and parts of VA and WV.  We are in D1 with small pockets of D2 throughout.   Much of it is attributed to convection drying out between "mountain chains". 

What are your thoughts on severe weather later today?

27 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

Models look all over the place again. Most seem to like rain in northern or eastern PA with scattered cells throughout. So having said that, somehow the west shore won't see a drop and it will be a biblical flood on the other side of the river

49 minutes ago, Anduril said:

Models look all over the place again. Most seem to like rain in northern or eastern PA with scattered cells throughout. So having said that, somehow the west shore won't see a drop and it will be a biblical flood on the other side of the river

There was rumor of animal pairs milling around Maytown this AM.    #itsnoahtime

On 8/12/2023 at 9:35 PM, canderson said:

Looks like you and I will miss any rain by ~15 miles. I am rocking .15” since last Saturday, has to the be the least of any member here. 

I've been getting screwed a good bit over here lately as well.  I had no additional rain from the weekend and am sitting at .31" over the last 16 days.  At least I had five and a half inches in July so can't complain too bad.  Hoping for some action later this evening.

3 hours ago, mahantango#1 said:

MU is Meh-U for severe:

Today will generally be mostly cloudy across most of PA in advance of an approaching warm front, but it’s not until 4-8 PM that showers and storms should arrive. Due to a major lack of instability, I’m still skeptical of the #SevereWeather threat..

• Thanks 1