• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA Summer 2023

4 minutes ago, canderson said:

It's why wind scares me now - well one of the reasons. 

We saw the storm off in the distance and assumed staying tied up under the bridge was better than racing back 50 or whatever minutes to the dock in the middle of the night in a storm on a lake that has a ton of trees. 

Winds kicked up and the rubbing of the lines around the bridge posts snapped them and our boat got whipped around out into open water and then flipped. 

it was my parents, me and our little puppy - we were with friends and had planned to go back around 1 am but the fishing was so good we didn't leave. Than the storm. 

Since we were close to a bridge we could get to embankment. I can't remember how we were found - I was a teenager and that is not in my memory but this was before cell phones (mid 90s). I assume a driver saw us. 

Wow that's crazy.  As someone who has also done some night fishing I can imagine how terrifying that must have been.  Thank god you all made it through okay.

Early 12z was a step in the right direction for river-goers tomorrow morning.  The NAMs dropped the idea of any showers lingering around through the morning hours, and to the extent there is a line that pops later on the HRRR forms it well to the east.  Glancing at some lesser models as well and everything just seems generally sped up for tonight, which is good.  Get it the heck out of here before the morning comes.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Early 12z was a step in the right direction for river-goers tomorrow morning.  The NAMs dropped the idea of any showers lingering around through the morning hours, and to the extent there is a line that pops later on the HRRR forms it well to the east.  Glancing at some lesser models as well and everything just seems generally sped up for tonight, which is good.  Get it the heck out of here before the morning comes.

HOW DARE YOU CRITICIZE THE JMA

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

As an avid Broadway goer and very pro union (busy time for us folks right now!), I don't think a strike here happens. The League and producers have the world to lose if so. 

And a strike authorization vote doesn't immediately lead to a work stoppage. It's a step on the process for potential action. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, canderson said:

As an avid Broadway goer and very pro union (busy time for us folks right now!), I don't think a strike here happens. The League and producers have the world to lose if so. 

And a strike authorization vote doesn't immediately lead to a work stoppage. It's a step on the process for potential action. 

FedEx is training their workers/drivers to handle themselves if called scabs by striking UPS employees.  I doubt they go on strike either but would be big if they did. 

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

FedEx is training their workers/drivers to handle themselves if called scabs by striking UPS employees.  I doubt they go on strike either but would be big if they did. 

Yeah, the UPS strike would be a big deal. FedEx isn't unionized so calling them scabs isn't really accurate imo. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

USGS pointing out that some farmers are going to lose their corn. 

Northeast Drought Summary

Heavy rains again soaked much of the Northeast Region last week. Very little dryness remains to the east of a line from the Chesapeake Bay to the east shore of Lake Ontario, with D1 confined to a few spots in south New Jersey and in part of the New York City metro. Heavy rains in the central Appalachians have also nearly eliminated dryness in West Virginia. But large dry areas persist from northern Virginia and Maryland northward through western sections of Pennsylvania and New York, with severe drought (D2) covering central Maryland and adjacent south-central Pennsylvania. According to USDA, 33 percent of pastures in Maine are in poor or very poor condition, as are 16 percent of Pennsylvania’s pastureland.

Full Summary

Capture.JPG

Glad to see I was removed from drought 

3 hours ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Wrong advice is welcomed haha!  But yeah, I have been seeing the potential for that midday line for a while now but even if it does pop much of the guidance has it firing east of the river and pulling away quickly.  Needless to say, I will be watching the 12z runs closely.

As an aside, it can actually be fun trying to outmaneuver storms while on the boat.  Not severe obviously but just run of the mill stuff.  When you have a weather nut at the helm with a high-def radar in-hand and about a 10 mile length of surface water to traverse, it's actually not all that hard at times to just outrun little cells to to the north or south.  Then laugh maniacally as you see others getting dumped on a couple miles away.  Hey, it's the little things ha.

I have an uncle who is in his 80s now and has spent a lot of time out on the water - he was in the Coast Guard way back when and has had a boat for as long as I can remember. He lives in Lewes DE and spends much of his time out on the bay and in the Atlantic. When I was quite small, my dad and I were out with him one day and a storm blew in. No movement whatsoever to head for land. It was almost like my uncle and my father were defying the gods to strike us. There we were, in his small-ass 18' dinghy in the middle of the open waters with the storm pounding us. Lightning everywhere. Water was churnin'. Dad kept looking at me like "you're fine" - I wasn't fine. I wanted off the damn boat and back in the beach house. That wouldn't happen for many more hours.

Ever since than I've been leery about being on the open water in storms. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

It was just raining in Strasburg.

It rains in Strasburg every day it seems.

It's like Corry PA with snow only in Strasburg it rains.

Harrisburg...you ain't got nothin' on Strasburg! 

They must be approaching 100" on the year by now. :) 

And Shrewsbury.  Every time I look at the radar and rain is around YorCo, it targets there. 

Signed-Bub in FranCo

• Like 1

This was an unexpected surprise I am very happy about. Williamsport's air is almost back to normal. It is the yellow 55 sticking out in northern PA. Rest of the state has to catch up to us. I hope that happens overnight. I wish someone would get a Purple Air device and fill in the big empty space in northern PA and southern NY. chrome_screenshot_1689876898899.thumb.png.2d449457689887bf901d92600b1adb10.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

.13" of rain last evening.  Alright kids, help me out.  My wife and I are taking some friends out on the boat Friday morning (arriving ~10am).  I've been pouring over the guidance all week and I'm pretty secure in the fact that things will be cleared out by then, and tend to do so rather quickly when the disturbance sweeps through.  However, there is some guidance (primarily the NAM) that wants to keep some showers lingering around through the mid to late morning hours.  I think we'll be in for a mostly beautiful day, in what is a transition day to a beautiful weekend.  What say ye?

Also, has anyone else noticed that Monday keeps consistently showing up as a day with widespread storms on virtually all the modeling?

Question is what body of water are you going to be on?

I would think a quick 2-3” could mess things up a little.

Also check out what the wind is supposed to do with that front.

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I have an uncle who is in his 80s now and has spent a lot of time out on the water - he was in the Coast Guard way back when and has had a boat for as long as I can remember. He lives in Lewes DE and spends much of his time out on the bay and in the Atlantic. When I was quite small, my dad and I were out with him one day and a storm blew in. No movement whatsoever to head for land. It was almost like my uncle and my father were defying the gods to strike us. There we were, in his small-ass 18' dinghy in the middle of the open waters with the storm pounding us. Lightning everywhere. Water was churnin'. Dad kept looking at me like "you're fine" - I wasn't fine. I wanted off the damn boat and back in the beach house. That wouldn't happen for many more hours.

Ever since than I've been leery about being on the open water in storms. 

Oh wow quite the tale.  Yeah that would put the fear into any young kid.  Luckily, "Lake" Clarke on the river is a different beast in that there aren't any waves and shore is always nearby.  Still, it can be a harrowing experience being on the water when weather hits.

Side note, I also used to go to Lewes quite a bit and go out on the bay with a buddy and his family who still frequent the area.  Lots of fond flounder-catching memories ha.  I haven't been in many years now though.

• Thanks 1

Runaway "urban heat island effect" leading to record or near record high minimum temperatures this month, even in some of the most remote places in the Commonwealth, such as Jefferson and McKean Counties. Just not sure how we are going to be able to stop all of this urban waste heat from polluting our forests, streams and oceans.

DuBois

image.png.e3d6ee9b4fb51687d77d62cb5293af82.png

Bradford

image.png.3821fcec165e7adce9883d696e8ae6b2.png

Mount Pocono

image.png.23484f72dcc6a9a9621f8dcc5d3522c4.png

Williamsport

image.png.5d820b1aea8ba150d86b69a67b007862.png

Comment: I have my doubt about the validity of the 71.1 from 1901. LOL.

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre

image.png.e92bc99df1090c3c6d1c15ad9f9f69a1.png

Harrisburg

image.png.23d4a922f7b2996ff4f7ec1a1ce587da.png

Reading

image.png.f5bf170e53cff20579b07eff37ba7e8d.png