Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2023 OBS Thread

JTA66

1 hour ago, KamuSnow said:

Did you get your AC working?

Yes, thanks for asking. The A/C company told us to turn it off at the breaker for ten minutes if this happened again, as a stop-gap until they could come out again. Thankfully it worked this time, but they'll be out here first thing in the morning (again).

• Weenie 1

7 hours ago, JTA66 said:

On my third power loss in the last 12 hours. Good news is there’s a bunch of guys standing around some PECO trucks and orange cones down the street.

Ugh.  I know where my sister is in Wyndmoor, the last nasty storm, all the houses across the street from her were out.  Her block had the electric poles and wires carefully placed decades ago when the houses were built, so they would be "hidden" among trees that were set along a strip of what was a township easement.  Fast-forward like 60 years and it's literally been a nightmare storm after storm, with PECO sending Asplundh out to prune branches and whatnot.  Most of the time it ended up being her side out because the poles were set along a creek and surrounded by trees. :mellow:

The 68 did end up being my low this morning and I made it up to 88 as a high.  It's currently a breezy and mostly sunny 84 with dp 66.

7 hours ago, Rtd208 said:

Pretty good storm overnight.

That storm grazed me, passing to the north.  Radar clearly showed it rotating counterclockwise. It was full of lightning, as noted by others.  Am not a big fan of 3AM storms with all of that CG lightning and thunder, but they have been rare of late, so enjoy them, if you are so inclined.

1 hour ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Well starting at 9:59 pm, my whole area here in Chestnut Hill along with much of Wyndmoor, had the power go out. There is clear weather.  Power is still out.  :huh:

Wow. That happened to us a lot in Chester County. I do not miss it. Apart from the many reasons I don't particularly like living in Reading, our power has been nearly rock-solid here, with only one major outage in the past three years, verses I can't remember how many in Chester County. You could sneeze in our old place in Thorndale and a transformer would blow up somewhere close by.

4 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Wow. That happened to us a lot in Chester County. I do not miss it. Apart from the many reasons I don't particularly like living in Reading, our power has been nearly rock-solid here, with only one major outage in the past three years, verses I can't remember how many in Chester County. You could sneeze in our old place in Thorndale and a transformer would blow up somewhere close by.

PECO's map now has a 1:30 am est. restoration time and listed the cause as "down trees and limbs". LOL  My electric is underground to the house but obviously that is meaningless if wires have to go above ground to poles eventually, in order to get to a substation.  It would have been a good night for Perseids viewing with all the lights out around the area which I tried and got treated to a deck of cirrus. :axe:

At least I did hear the katydids going, although not many crickets for some bizarre reason.

Snippet from the latest SPC outlook for our area, most of the subforum is now in 5% tornado risk.

The parameter space should be favorable for severe well after dark, with 40-50 kt effective-shear magnitudes, locally enlarged hodographs with 200-300 J/kg effective SRH, and around 1000-2000 J/kg MLCAPE. Convective coverage is uncertain, but all hazards will be possible.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

• Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, SmokeEater said:

Snippet from the latest SPC outlook for our area, most of the subforum is now in 5% tornado risk.

The parameter space should be favorable for severe well after dark, with 40-50 kt effective-shear magnitudes, locally enlarged hodographs with 200-300 J/kg effective SRH, and around 1000-2000 J/kg MLCAPE. Convective coverage is uncertain, but all hazards will be possible.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

image.png.fa928572485142a01c66932520d8ab78.png

12 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Power back at the original earlier estimate of 12:20 am. YAY!  I did have my station console on a UPS.  Currently 71 with dp 66.

Glad your power is back. Not sure if the issue was with my house so much as PECO was turning off my power to fix whatever the issue was. By 12:30 yesterday I gave up waiting and hopped into cold shower, thank God it's August! 

Sun now sets before 8pm! :thumbsup:  Bring on fall!

86F/DP 68F

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Glad your power is back. Not sure if the issue was with my house so much as PECO was turning off my power to fix whatever the issue was. By 12:30 yesterday I gave up waiting and hopped into cold shower, thank God it's August! 

Sun now sets before 8pm! :thumbsup:  Bring on fall!

86F/DP 68F

It really starts to kick ass (earlier) in two minute increments as the month continues. Aug 31st sunset: 7:33pm.

PECO guys must be racking up some major OT this summer with the storms. Probably more again tonight...  

88F/DP 68F

sunset.jpg

• Like 2

Flood Watch up for much of the CWA -

Flood Watch

Flood Watch
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
340 PM EDT Mon Aug 14 2023

DEZ001-NJZ001-007>010-012>020-026-027-PAZ054-055-060>062-070-071-
101>106-150745-
/O.NEW.KPHI.FA.A.0007.230815T0000Z-230815T1000Z/
/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/
New Castle-Sussex-Warren-Morris-Hunterdon-Somerset-Middlesex-Western
Monmouth-Eastern Monmouth-Mercer-Salem-Gloucester-Camden-
Northwestern Burlington-Ocean-Coastal Ocean-Southeastern Burlington-
Carbon-Monroe-Berks-Lehigh-Northampton-Delaware-Philadelphia-Western
Chester-Eastern Chester-Western Montgomery-Eastern Montgomery-Upper
Bucks-Lower Bucks-
Including the cities of Oxford, Somerville, Easton, Jackson, Newton,
Stroudsburg, Wharton State Forest, Mount Holly, Glassboro,
Morrisville, West Chester, Jim Thorpe, Morristown, Doylestown,
Cherry Hill, Collegeville, Chalfont, Trenton, Washington, Bethlehem,
Lansdale, Pottstown, Camden, Media, Perkasie, Allentown, New
Brunswick, Pennsville, Kennett Square, Reading, Moorestown,
Wilmington, Flemington, Sandy Hook, Philadelphia, Long Beach Island,
Norristown, Freehold, and Honey Brook
340 PM EDT Mon Aug 14 2023

...FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM EDT THIS EVENING THROUGH LATE
TONIGHT...

* WHAT...Flash flooding caused by excessive rainfall is possible.

* WHERE...Portions of northern Delaware...New Jersey...and
  Pennsylvania...including the following areas...in northern
  Delaware...New Castle. In New Jersey...Camden, Coastal Ocean,
  Eastern Monmouth, Gloucester, Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex,
  Morris, Northwestern Burlington, Ocean, Salem, Somerset,
  Southeastern Burlington, Sussex, Warren, and Western Monmouth. In
  Pennsylvania...Berks, Carbon, Delaware, Eastern Chester, Eastern
  Montgomery, Lehigh, Lower Bucks, Monroe, Northampton,
  Philadelphia, Upper Bucks, Western Chester, and Western Montgomery.

* WHEN...From 8 PM EDT this evening through late tonight.

* IMPACTS...Excessive runoff may result in flooding of rivers,
  creeks, streams, and other low-lying and flood-prone locations.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...
  - Very high atmospheric moisture content will overspread the
    region tonight. Rounds of showers and thunderstorms are
    expected with embedded heavy rainfall. Rainfall rates of 1-2
    inches per hour are possible. Urban areas will be of
    particular concern for flash flooding.
  - http://www.weather.gov/safety/flood

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

You should monitor later forecasts and be prepared to take action
should Flash Flood Warnings be issued.

&&

$$

MLB

Had a low of 66 this morning and surprisingly hit 90 just before 2:30 pm (had expected to hit that the previous week).  That makes my first 90 of August and my 13th of the season.

Currently 86 and mostly cloudy with dp69.

nws-floodwatch-phi-phiarea-08142023.PNG

4 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Mosquitoes are going to reach biblical numbers

It sucks because sometimes I like to sit on the porch (faces W) and watch/feel/hear the lightning/wind/thunder approach...  critters as well. But no way this summer, I'll get bitten alive no matter what unless I use gasoline as a bug repellent.

Good stuff not till later on...

82F/DP 70F

8 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

well this stuff is going to have to happen after midnight if at all. I see another bust coming folks. Radar looks pretty crappy right now.. Everytime NWS says 90-100% , its been a complete bust this year.  Lets hope I am wrong but the radar is pretty week right now.

Local News had dewpoints in the 72-76 range for tonight most of the area where is that at???

5 minutes ago, Kevin Reilly said:

Local News had dewpoints in the 72-76 range for tonight most of the area where is that at???

ABE is the following below - not even close to those dewpoints yet.  It will have to get moist real quick to achieve flooding conditions. Again, lets see if the radar can get juicy in the next 6-8 hours. really hoping for training t storms

Light Rain

77°F

25°C

Humidity 65%
Wind Speed S 9 mph
Barometer 29.90 in
Dewpoint 64°F (18°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Heat Index 79°F (26°C)
Last update 14 Aug 9:35 pm EDT

Looks like most of the rain will slide to our NW barring any development. Mt Holly went from 1-2” for tonight this morning to .25-.5 in the evening forecast update. Will be shocked if we even get that. Guidance showed this exact scenario beginning last night. I bet the sprinkles we got 30 mins ago is going to be it. Should of watered the plants….big ole bustola incoming. At least it’s not a snowstorm… 

9 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Looks like most of the rain will slide to our NW barring any development. Mt Holly went from 1-2” for tonight this morning to .25-.5 in the evening forecast update. Will be shocked if we even get that. Guidance showed this exact scenario beginning last night. I bet the sprinkles we got 30 mins ago is going to be it. Should of watered the plants….big ole bustola incoming. At least it’s not a snowstorm… 

You just posted what I was ready to write...saved me the hassle.

Maybe this will develop more and swing through but won't be long lasting....

dev.jpg