Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2023 General Discussion

Spartman

20 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

it's been like paradise, just unreal wx, especially for the normies who don't mind the lack of storms

makes it obv why lakefront living was so valued in the pre-ac historical era

image.thumb.png.60da04c44d97603bf76f9bc573fcc339.png

"Cooler by the lake" is something all Chicagoans have burned into their psyche.

56 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Cedar Rapids has only hit 90º three times.

We have not hit 90F IMBY yet per my weather system.  I checked Flint (nearest major airport) and they have hit 89 four times but no 90s  My area is usually a couple degrees cooler than Flint so my weather station looks to be doing it's job correctly :)

3 hours ago, weatherbo said:

A warm one today cutting firewood, 77/51 already. Ticks, flies, and skeeters out in force. Should top out around 81. The 1.6” of rain last week is a distant memory. 

That's the one thing I can say for the dryness. Lack of mosquitoes.. 

1 hour ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Pounding ice cold ones all day. Up to 91 for the high. Low 50 dews help a lot too. 

Same here especially when you sweat out what feels like a gallon. The lower dews definitely help with evaporation. Got to 60 or so dews today here and it was quite the difference 

12 hours ago, SolidIcewx said:

Same here especially when you sweat out what feels like a gallon. The lower dews definitely help with evaporation. Got to 60 or so dews today here and it was quite the difference 

Humidity was definitely much more noticeable.  There were some some isolated showers northern Oakland county.  Might be some more this afternoon.

9 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Looks like there may be a pretty solid plume of smoke, including concentrated surface smoke, on Thursday extending from northern Michigan into the Chicagoland area and southern Wisconsin. Potential exists for degraded air quality.

D60059B8-848A-457C-9BFA-884743B9FEBB.png.651a346fa593388fcba2c897023d97c8.png
4DD7B884-7D12-4A96-A547-3D6C360251DF.png.f4346d43b5a5374a6cb1c9f2d72a281f.png

Never thought I'd have a summer here with more smoke than storms.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Harry said:

That's the one thing I can say for the dryness. Lack of mosquitoes.. 

Here in the boreal woods of the north it's very swampy, even during drier times.  On my property alone there's three separate swamps with one being right close to the house.  It's always buggy until about mid-august.  Some years are just worse than others.

High of 83 yesterday and looking like a carbon copy today.  Breeze will help.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Here in the boreal woods of the north it's very swampy, even during drier times.  On my property alone there's three separate swamps with one being right close to the house.  It's always buggy until about mid-august.  Some years are just worse than others.

High of 83 yesterday and looking like a carbon copy today.  Breeze will help.

Typical around Lake Superior watershed. Big hills, and lots of swamp/creek/river areas in between them. 

Been very nice here recently with low-mid 70's near the shore. Need rain tho. Lawns a little on the golden side now. Trees are just fine, and very lush. Deep moisture still good. My neighbors ash tree looks the best it has in quite some time. Thick with new growth.

The co-op site down on the shore at Agate Bay has only broke the 70 mark once this month so far, so still staying a little cooler down there. You don't need to go to far from the shoreline to see temps 5-10 degrees warmer, and even more, at times, further inland. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Hopefully it’s not lots of lower trunk growth, that could be a sign of emerald ash borer infection. 

The borer got to the ash trees around here a few years ago.  Now they all look the same... dead up top with bushy lower trunk growth.  My next door neighbor's old ash tree looks like that now.  It has been there for sixty years and now it'll have to come down.  Some friends a couple streets away have a ~20 year old ash that was fine a few years ago, but now has to come down.  I used to have a big ash in front and one in back, but they crapped out and were removed about ten years ago before the borer arrived.