Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2023 General Discussion

Spartman

8 minutes ago, Brian D said:

Temps on the cooler side today again. Upper 50's-low 60's. Scattered frost this morning being reported as temps away from the lake dipped to the low-mid 30's. 

64 for a high on Tuesday where I am. Totally okay with that work will be very pleasant 

• Like 2

This is the first rain in Toledo since May 19-20 when 0.3" to 0.5" fell. Also, first 50 degree dew point in Toledo for quite some time. Such an odd time. I feel like somehow I dragged the high plains droughty Fort Collins weather with me, with approximately 22 days without rain, persistent and concentrated wildfire smoke, and frequent dew points in the 40's.

The opposite thing seemed to have happened earlier this year. My place got soaking rain with temps of 33-50 degrees all the time in January and February, which is very opposite to the western weather, that is, no rain on the high plains, either sun or snow. 

Both the RAP and HRRR agree that another massive pall of smoke will form and cover all or most of Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and western Ontario early next week. Many of these areas look likely to experience degraded air quality and limited sun.

A bit concerned we could see this intrude into the upper Midwest and perhaps elsewhere as we head into the middle of the week, with a northwest flow aloft west of the Great Lakes upper low. Regardless of whether this enters the US airspace, many places in Canada look likely to see unhealthy to hazardous air quality.

This is the 00z HRRR depiction of vertically integrated smoke and near surface smoke. We see the south end of a dense pall of smoke, including a substantial near surface component. The RAP gives the true size of the smoke pall, as much of it lies outside of the HRRR grid.

10 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Both the RAP and HRRR agree that another massive pall of smoke will form and cover all or most of Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and western Ontario early next week. Many of these areas look likely to experience degraded air quality and limited sun.

A bit concerned we could see this intrude into the upper Midwest and perhaps elsewhere as we head into the middle of the week, with a northwest flow aloft west of the Great Lakes upper low. Regardless of whether this enters the US airspace, many places in Canada look likely to see unhealthy to hazardous air quality.

This is the 00z HRRR depiction of vertically integrated smoke and near surface smoke. We see the south end of a dense pall of smoke, including a substantial near surface component. The RAP gives the true size of the smoke pall, as much of it lies outside of the HRRR grid.

smoke_viden.conus.png

smoke_sfc.conus.png

For reference, here is what the 21z RAP is showing for hour 51. As you can see, this is a massive plume, enveloping all of Saskatchewan, most of Alberta and Manitoba, western Ontario, and even parts of Nunavut.

trc1_int_f51.png

trc1_sfc_f51.png

19 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

Tomatoes must be impossible to grow up there.

Gardening away from the lake can be a challenge, and tomatoes need to be started indoors early. Many get their plants from greenhouses, so they have a good start, or they have their own. Must always be ready to protect them around here in the early season, and sometimes in the midst of summer. A friend of mine grows his in his own makeshift greenhouse throughout the growing season. And we are not exactly a good corn growing area either. Growing season is basically from Memorial day through Labor day around here. And gardens generally don't really take off until we get warm, humid nights. You can almost watch them grow when that happens.

Not seeing much talk about this, but I am becoming increasingly concerned about the potential for an impactful wildfire smoke event.  That is a dense pall of smoke with a substantial near surface density. If correct, visibility can be reduced to under three miles and air quality can reach unhealthy levels.

smoke_sfc.us_mw.png

smoke_viden.us_mw.png

On 6/12/2023 at 12:18 PM, Brian D said:

Gardening away from the lake can be a challenge, and tomatoes need to be started indoors early. Many get their plants from greenhouses, so they have a good start, or they have their own. Must always be ready to protect them around here in the early season, and sometimes in the midst of summer. A friend of mine grows his in his own makeshift greenhouse throughout the growing season. And we are not exactly a good corn growing area either. Growing season is basically from Memorial day through Labor day around here. And gardens generally don't really take off until we get warm, humid nights. You can almost watch them grow when that happens.

You should be in a pretty good spot, especially in the coming decades. People probably said the same about southern Michigan in the 1860s, as you can see from this table displaying the average monthly coldest minimum temperature by decade at Lansing: how can you plant anything in a spot where the first freeze occurs in August and sometimes in July (like 1863)? Now 160 years later, and it seldom drops much below 50F in those months, and the first freeze doesn't occur until October. The September mean monthly minimum so far this decade is 9F higher than the August mean monthly minimum from the 1860s.

image.png.e39c5868f45dba2ef5b911c986bf1e0f.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

49 minutes ago, outflow said:

First thunder in forever just now, rocking the typical 65/53 temp/dewpoint you would expect for June thunder. Trace of rain so far

"rocking the typical 65/53 temp/dewpoint you would expect for June thunder"  ==> :lmao:

We had a cell developing right on top of us.  I started to hear thunder and I was wondering what the neighbor was doing!!  Looked outside and it briefly poured out(<0.1") and of course the cell got bigger as it went east.  Saw a few flashes and hear lots of cloud thunder rumbling.  Most weather excitement since April! <_<

2 minutes ago, Lightning said:

"rocking the typical 65/53 temp/dewpoint you would expect for June thunder"  ==> :lmao:

We had a cell developing right on top of us.  I started to hear thunder and I was wondering what the neighbor was doing!!  Looked outside and it briefly poured out(<0.1") and of course the cell got bigger as it went east.  Saw a few flashes and hear lots of cloud thunder rumbling.  Most weather excitement since April! <_<

Im working in Detroit atm and have a nice cell overhead. Lots of thunder I’ll more than take it pretty exciting. Rapid warm up too early this afternoon was in the 50s for the longest

38 minutes ago, SolidIcewx said:

Im working in Detroit atm and have a nice cell overhead. Lots of thunder I’ll more than take it pretty exciting. Rapid warm up too early this afternoon was in the 50s for the longest

It is nice to see something other than smoke :lol:

Just had another cell develop on us.  My daughter said "Hey dad the clouds are HAILING us"

image.png.a4526db4729a29cea4b5c85828e3bbe3.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

You should be in a pretty good spot, especially in the coming decades. People probably said the same about southern Michigan in the 1860s, as you can see from this table displaying the average monthly coldest minimum temperature by decade at Lansing: how can you plant anything in a spot where the first freeze occurs in August and sometimes in July (like 1863)? Now 160 years later, and it seldom drops much below 50F in those months, and the first freeze doesn't occur until October. The September mean monthly minimum so far this decade is 9F higher than the August mean monthly minimum from the 1860s.

image.png.e39c5868f45dba2ef5b911c986bf1e0f.png

Where can I get this for MKE?

34 minutes ago, hardypalmguy said:

Where can I get this for MKE?

Well, I generated the table in Excel, but the data was sourced from here: 

CLIMOD 2 (cornell.edu)

Select "Seasonal Ranking", and then set variable to "Minimum Temperature" and summary to "Minimum", select the month or other time frame you want to see, and use station ID "MKETHR" [THR for threaded records, if you just use MKE it will only return records from the airport].