Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2023 Summer Begins

Damage In Tolland

3 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

7 years ago I used to consistently bench 275 and weighed close to 200lbs. now I just use dumbbells up to 50lbs for everything and rep out, and I weigh 165. Im almost 40 so it seems ridiculous to go back to what I was doing in my early 30s. 

I don't bench press bc of a bad wrist...partial fusion over 20 years ago. Just dumbbells up to about 90-100 for reps.....squat I'll go up up to about 360 for several reps (weigh 220). Strongest yet and will be 43 this fall, however, I need to do alot of stretching now vs in my 20s and 30s. I would just walk in the GYM and start lifting.....I need to stretch 30 minutes daily now, or I'll get hurt.

6 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Its a catch22...if are using good form, lifting actually protects against blowing out back and knees. Its great for bone density and tendon strength.

Correct regarding weights. If done right they protect against injuries and other medical conditions. They have a positive effect on physical and mental health. Also numerous studies have shown that lifting weights helps  prevent dementia. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I don't bench press bc of a bad wrist...partial fusion over 20 years ago. Just dumbbells up to about 90-100 for reps.....squat I'll go up up to about 360 for several reps (weigh 220). Strongest yet and will be 43 this fall, however, I need to do alot of stretching now vs in my 20s and 30s. I would just walk in the GYM and start lifting.....I need to stretch 30 minutes daily now, or I'll get hurt.

Stretching is a real commitment. I do barbell hip thrusts With 455 x6 and SLD with 245 or so but I can pull a hammy just joggin to third . I don’t want to be  like the Chris sale of my softball team but I have to certainly warm up my legs prior to any activity as opposed to just not giving it a second thought when I was younger 

5 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Correct regarding weights. If done right they protect against injuries and other medical conditions. They have a positive effect on physical and mental health. Also numerous studies have shown that lifting weights helps  prevent dementia. 

Absolutely...not only does it improve mood, but it increases blood flow all throughout the body, including brain.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Stretching is a real commitment. I do barbell hip thrusts With 455 x6 and SLD with 245 or so but I can pull a hammy just joggin to third . I don’t want to be  like the Chris sale of my softball team but I have to certainly warm up my legs prior to any activity as opposed to just not giving it a second thought when I was younger 

Yea, the elasticity is gone....we can do what we did when we were younger, but much more time needs to be spent on the ancillary, supportive prep in order to do it.

• Like 1

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Absolutely...not only does it improve mood, but it increases blood flow all throughout the body, including brain.

Exactly...the people who struggle the most with recovering from injuries/surgeries/illnesses are those who do not lift weights.  Ask any physical therapist and he/she will tell you the most difficult clients to work with are those who do not workout.  

Just now, Great Snow 1717 said:

Exactly...the people who struggle the most with recovering from injuries/surgeries/illnesses are those who do not lift weights.  Ask any physical therapist and he/she will tell you the most difficult clients to work with are those who do not workout.  

My trauma team told me that was why I shocked everyone with my recovery from a bad accident in 2010. I was right back in the GYM as soon as I could walk...they ripped my lat right out of me literally, put it back in.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

My trauma team told me that was why I shocked everyone with my recovery from a bad accident in 2010. I was right back in the GYM as soon as I could walk...they ripped my lat right out of me literally, put it back in.

..and they were far more willing to help you as well. 

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I think Rev would see his forecast accuracy improve if he added in a few 30 min strength training routines. Probably sell more to his Dilfs if he filled out that khaki shirt as well 

If you’d start running and get into cardio shape.. you’d be able to make it off of Brokeback before they overtake you each time 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

If you’d start running and get into cardio shape.. you’d be able to make it off of Brokeback before they overtake you each time 

I usually add cardio to my routine this time of year , but running isn’t really wonderful on the body

next time at a gtg I would challenge you to a 100 yard dash , if I lose I’ll buy the weenies beer 

43 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

I haven't used weights since high school. Recovering just fine ahead of schedule for my knee replacement. All of my serious injuries I have bounced back pretty quickly cept the back fusion which impacted my legs. All those years of running walking in the ocean sand paid off.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I usually add cardio to my routine this time of year , but running isn’t really wonderful on the body

next time at a gtg I would challenge you to a 100 yard dash , if I lose I’ll buy the weenies beer 

Ok and then let’s run a 7 miler to the bar after I lose the dash . Deal ?

9 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I hit the treadmill 3x weekly.....2 20 min interval training sessions, and one steady 50 min jog.