Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023-2024 Winter/ENSO Disco

40/70 Benchmark

24 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

1957-58 did the same thing. was super east-based, shifted west, and was a great winter with central-based forcing. most models are showing the same

That’s why I’m waiting.  But as of now I’m concerned.  

As an aside, we had a great snow dump in the first week of December 1957.  My 11th bday party was a mid week lunch (kids went home for lunch then) with darkening skies and temperatures around 40.   13.3 inches later….

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, weathafella said:

As an aside, we had a great snow dump in the first week of December 1957.  My 11th bday party was a mid week lunch (kids went home for lunch then) with darkening skies and temperatures around 40.   13.3 inches later….

Jerry, How the hell can you remember what the weather was on your 11th birthday! I'm 60 , I can't remember somethings a few weeks ago ! 

4 hours ago, weathafella said:

People are deluding themselves if they think the ssta distribution is not worrisome now.  It could change of course but by September we’re almost out of time so it better be fast.

Yeah I don’t like how strong and how east based this El Niño is. Statistically strong El Niños are the second worst enso state for the Boston area snowfall wise, with the worst being super. This doesn’t take structure into account so it’s not good to take it as gospel, but when we have a strong or super nino AND the structure is unfavorable, that’s not good no matter how you look at it. As big of a weenie as I am, even I’m concerned.

4 hours ago, weathafella said:

I’m waiting and watching too. I haven’t checked lately but despite the SST anomaly, this has been more west based forcing. Maybe it has an effect down the road…I don’t know. 

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I’m waiting and watching too. I haven’t checked lately but despite the SST anomaly, this has been more west based forcing. Maybe it has an effect down the road…I don’t know. 

I don’t know what to think. We’ve got Jerry’s years of experience but George is nearly always wildly, extravagantly wrong.  What does it mean when they’re on the same side? I’m torn. 

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, weathafella said:

People are deluding themselves if they think the ssta distribution is not worrisome now.  It could change of course but by September we’re almost out of time so it better be fast.

Yea, this ssta distribution would be worrisome if it were December.

Do me a favor, look at a ssta anomaly chart from November of last year, and then look at one from January as you recall the overall tenor of last season.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

The forcing being way west all summer is definitely really weird compared to the Super Ninos....that and the PDO. I wonder if this one tops out more like 1.8 or something on the trimonthly ONI.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

The forcing being way west all summer is definitely really weird compared to the Super Ninos....that and the PDO. I wonder if this one tops out more like 1.8 or something on the trimonthly ONI.

PDO makes me suspect 3 things about this winter:

1) Polar Domain will make or break this season

2) Inceased risk of deconstructive interference with amplifying waves during neg NAO periods..this ties into 3.

3) Idea of a mid Atlantic focus for snowfall with appreciably strong el nino events is less likely this year....at least in terms of historic deals. We may see some sheared out, attenuating waves dump moderate snows down there either fail to turn the corner and/or dizzle out with latitude.

People need to remember that huge storms are relatively rare for a reason. It's not just about getting teleconnection bingo, but you also need to hit on the right wave spacing and relative intensity and orientation of each said index. The latter is often more difficult to achieve than the teleconnections bingo...that is one thing I have learned the past few years during this seemingly interminable cool ENSO stretch. 

9 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, this ssta distribution would be worrisome if it were December.

Do me a favor, look at a ssta anomaly chart from November of last year, and then look at one from January as you recall the overall tenor of last season.

At what point is it too late?   I always thought it’s about a 3 month lag pattern wise.  Like we agree, it looks bad now but let’s see where we are in autumn.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, weathafella said:

That seems late.  Almost like instant pattern  behavior.  

I usually stop looking at ENSO in December. I suppose fast changes in January can still lead to a change in end-of-winter pattern ala late Feb into first half of March but the larger scale impacts mostly seem baked in by new years. 

24 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I usually stop looking at ENSO in December. I suppose fast changes in January can still lead to a change in end-of-winter pattern ala late Feb into first half of March but the larger scale impacts mostly seem baked in by new years. 

I feel like weakening still has an impact on March.

55 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I feel like weakening still has an impact on March.

Yeah it prob does…esp if it is rapid, then the effects are non-linear. March is kind of weird though in that other factors start increasing in relevance too due to the strong increase in solar insolation compared to mid-winter. 

But if we’re focusing on the meat of the winter (mid Dec through mid/late February), ENSO stuff after new years is largely irrelevant. 

This is going to be an interesting evolution to follow though because of all the weird stuff going on as this Nino strengthens (the west-based forcing and the extremely negative PDO are two of the biggest unconventional factors so far)

• Like 1

Haven't checked in here in a bit but I had a hunch I would see some posts about the PDO. It will be interesting to see what role the PDO plays moving into winter. While there is a correlation between ENSO/PDO phase, we're well into a negative PDO regime and the overall list of EL Nino's coincident with -PDO is relatively short (compared to the EL Nino dataset). 

Below is a list of -PDO winters coincident with EL Nino (note: this list only includes years where PDO was obviously negative) and EL Nino strength

1911-1912 (moderate EL Nino)

1914-1915 (borderline weak/moderate EL Nino) 

1919-1920 (weak EL Nino)

1923-1924 (borderline weak/moderate EL Nino)

1951-1952 (moderate EL Nino)

1953-1954 (weak EL Nino)

1965-1966 (Super-strong EL Nino)

1968-1969 (moderate EL Nino)

1972-1973 (Super-strong EL Nino)

2004-2005 (weak EL Nino)

2006-2007 (weak EL Nino)

2018-2019 (weak EL Nino)

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Haven't checked in here in a bit but I had a hunch I would see some posts about the PDO. It will be interesting to see what role the PDO plays moving into winter. While there is a correlation between ENSO/PDO phase, we're well into a negative PDO regime and the overall list of EL Nino's coincident with -PDO is relatively short (compared to the EL Nino dataset). 

Below is a list of -PDO winters coincident with EL Nino (note: this list only includes years where PDO was obviously negative) and EL Nino strength

1911-1912 (moderate EL Nino)

1914-1915 (borderline weak/moderate EL Nino) 

1919-1920 (weak EL Nino)

1923-1924 (borderline weak/moderate EL Nino)

1951-1952 (moderate EL Nino)

1953-1954 (weak EL Nino)

1965-1966 (Super-strong EL Nino)

1968-1969 (moderate EL Nino)

1972-1973 (Super-strong EL Nino)

2004-2005 (weak EL Nino)

2006-2007 (weak EL Nino)

2018-2019 (weak EL Nino)

This stuff is wayyyyy over my head, I take it we don't want a strong "Nino"? But a weak-moderate? The rate the summer is going I have no idea what to expect this Winter!