Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The last hurrah? Putting all the eggs in the Tuesday 3/14 basket

Ginx snewx

2 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

RGEM is probably closer to a good solution than GGEM now. I like the GFS at present, and RGEM more or less in line with it. Can't see 4" QPF on this sort of evolution, 2.5" maybe. 

Suspect the answer is 0.5-1.0 inches rain, briefly sleet then followed by 10-15 inches snow for some coastal areas BOS south, less mix north, and 15-25 inches snow for most inland e MA and se NH, 10-20 southern coastal Maine. 

RGEM had 4" amount as well.

Green Bay WI managed 2" of snow on .02" liquid today (as the 500 mb center drifted past) and Madison also, on .09" -- I don't buy into 4" QPF because of the track of all relevant features, but certainly 2.5" and maybe locally 3" over hills just west of BOS. If any place gets all of that as snow, at 8 or 9 to 1 ratios, then 24-27 inches for them.

Is it not the case that half of these snow threads end up with posts saying "QPF was overestimated" and not the other way round? But 2.5 to 3.0 QPF is still a massive hit if converted to snow. 

• Thanks 1

Second update and may be the final call. Based on everything ive seen this is probably the lowest map out there but this is what we are agreement on atm. A combination of latitude and elevation is going to help. I dont see much accumulating during the day on Tuesday especially for S CT at low elevations unless it really pounds.

Between the setup, model agreement and trends and marginal air mass..it's obviously one of the hardest forecasts i've ever seen and i think most who are working on it would agree. 

03_13.23_jdj_tri_state_snowfall_forecast.thumb.jpg.1c67129b9d15266f9cb0e884bf8ce914.jpg03_13.23_jdj_snowfall_forecast.thumb.jpg.c0dbbfad5c880431bf92df00d5a4b598.jpg

• Like 3

THe irony? The canadian models are good for me up here in VT and have never changed.  But you guys slam them left and right.  NAM and GFS have improved here as well, after going so far as saying Im getting ZERO.  Who really knows they are just models that cant deal with phasing.  And they've all done poorly this winter.  But if there's a model that gets most dissed it's the canadian both long range and hi res.  Sure the icon and ukmet probably top that chart, but it's gfs/euro/gefs/eps/ nam that everyone follows.  Until the gem or reggie fits your narrative.  then they are ok.  I personally feel like they arent ok and are usually wrong.  And thus agree with the masses.  But until someone does independant verification on all of them how we do we really know

1 minute ago, bristolri_wx said:

I think it's the thermal profiles.  2m and 925mb is warm for most of the storm, so its seeing rain. 

You telling me in the entire 6 state region that's the issue?  No it has to be a glitch.   ORH 3 inches?  Ray 1.9 inches?  No snow outside of a dumping in the Berks?  925 crashes by 18Z Monday.  Something is wrong.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

You telling me in the entire 6 state region that's the issue?  No it has to be a glitch.   ORH 3 inches?  Ray 1.9 inches?  No snow outside of a dumping in the Berks?  925 crashes by 18Z Monday.  Something is wrong.

Could be but if you switch the maps back two days it's been consistently on the low side for snow for most of eastern new england.  Had more in western parts a day or two ago but has scaled that back.

12 minutes ago, dmcginvt said:

THe irony? The canadian models are good for me up here in VT and have never changed.  But you guys slam them left and right.  NAM and GFS have improved here as well, after going so far as saying Im getting ZERO.  Who really knows they are just models that cant deal with phasing.  And they've all done poorly this winter.  But if there's a model that gets most dissed it's the canadian both long range and hi res.  Sure the icon and ukmet probably top that chart, but it's gfs/euro/gefs/eps/ nam that everyone follows.  Until the gem or reggie fits your narrative.  then they are ok.  I personally feel like they arent ok and are usually wrong.  And thus agree with the masses.  But until someone does independant verification on all of them how we do we really know

https://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/users/verification/headlines/acc_31days/

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Final Call map
https://easternmassweather.blogspot.com/2023/03/first-call-for-major-protracted-winter.html

Rain for many areas changes to snow Tuesday PM and rages all evening. Expect some power outages with this one due to combo of big winds and wet snow.

FINAL CALL-1.png

Thanks Ray.  Should be a good one for many.