• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
March Medium/Long Range Thread: The Empire Strikes Back

stormtracker

@CAPE this is what I mean. Look at the location of the pacific trough/ridge alignment. 

This makes sense. Aleutian ridge. Trough should be in the west with a SER 

5BD48E34-1ACA-465D-86AF-2B83770D7149.thumb.jpeg.d62f3d2ebee16fcec16e993b0687e38a.jpeg

but look what happens when the pac flips the the exact opposite pattern as the mjo gets into phase 8. Aleutian trough and…

7B41C83D-90E1-45C1-B9F3-02EC6FCD63B5.thumb.jpeg.662f11a94b8078c33de20404748ac29e.jpeg

The conus trough ridge alignment remains unaltered. 
but wait check this out…

504529A0-22FC-4C1B-9E56-F8F3E0DDD212.thumb.jpeg.d76082077b8992e58cc836f382978aee.jpeg

the pac trough is even slightly east of ideal there…the ridge east if it is begging squeezes to death because the trough still refuses to exit the west. 

We need to stop blaming the pac. Yes 75% of the time it’s been in a bad case state. But that’s not unheard of. The  reason we’re getting such atrocious results is even when the pac is altered it’s made no difference, the wavelengths just adjust however they need to accommodate the SER. It’s almost as if the TNH is more dominant here not the central pacific.  

• Like 4

@psuhoffman I’m not even sure its solely the pacific anymore like I thought it was back in Dec-Jan. 

Someone raised a good hypothesis earlier in this thread - what if [X factor] is responsible for amping waves out of the W too much too soon, instead of digging or sliding to the S of us?

It makes sense if we consider the warmer gulf waters + carribean high supplying warm moist air to any wave that rolls over the rockies. So one of the two things has to happen - laws of physics - a) move further N/W across the baroclinic boundary that was/is being pushed north, or b) amplifies into a huge monster which isn’t good for us either because we don’t want an early phaser for a MA snow. 

What would it take for a third thing to happen? C) hold a ridge over the west, cool the Caribbean waters a tad, and get something to slide S of us. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

CMC trying to setup the Ides of March storm at h5

GFS looks interesting  as well.

Still have a 10-day window...maybe shaving 1 or 2 days off the front of that soon.

I do still like the period after. I was never that optimistic for the lead wave. My rant is more just how we blame the pac by default even when it’s not the pac. 

• Like 3

I do still like the period after. I was never that optimistic for the lead wave. My rant is more just how we blame the pac by default even when it’s not the pac. 
I hate the period after. It's too late

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

• Weenie 2

Just now, DarkSharkWX said:

yeah a lot worse, trough digs more because of more ridging in pacific reaching lower lattiudes which amplifies the trough downstream and creates a more meridonal flow on the WC as well SER linkup with the fake block, not good trends

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_fh144_trend.gif

Well maybe that big 50/50 will stick and manage to cool those waters a good bit

9 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

@psuhoffman I’m not even sure its solely the pacific anymore like I thought it was back in Dec-Jan. 

Someone raised a good hypothesis earlier in this thread - what if [X factor] is responsible for amping waves out of the W too much too soon, instead of digging or sliding to the S of us?

It makes sense if we consider the warmer gulf waters + carribean high supplying warm moist air to any wave that rolls over the rockies. So one of the two things has to happen - laws of physics - a) move further N/W across the baroclinic boundary that was/is being pushed north, or b) amplifies into a huge monster which isn’t good for us either because we don’t want an early phaser for a MA snow. 

What would it take for a third thing to happen? C) hold a ridge over the west, cool the Caribbean waters a tad, and get something to slide S of us. 

Whenever I bring it up some folks go nuts but I guess my point is that there is SOMETHING going on and “it’s the pac” doesn’t fully cover 100% of it.  I think you’re putting a different spin on my “the SER is acting like a cause more than an effect sometimes. I think it makes perfect logical sense if the heat added to the equation from the STJ off the pac combined with the gulf then Atlantic all combine to create a feedback loop that’s horrible for us. I agree on the speculation this would amp systems out west earlier.  We are about to see if a high amplitude mjo phase 8/1 can overcome this feedback loop. If it can’t…oh boy. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic