• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Nowcast and obs for Wednesday evening through Thursday night's wintry mix storm event.

Typhoon Tip

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

How much ice did he get? That’s a good amount of damage 

I think about a third of an inch of radial ice which is getting into the damage zone pretty good. You start seeing some moderately widespread damage once you pass about a quarter inch…but it starts to ramp up quick after that. I’ve always used 3/8ths as the “almost guaranteed to lose power” threshold and he was getting close to that. Once you get to a half inch radial, it’s pretty much disastrous damage and no power…anything up near 3/4ths or higher is catastrophic. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I think about a third of an inch of radial ice which is getting into the damage zone pretty good. You start seeing some moderately widespread damage once you pass about a quarter inch…but it starts to ramp up quick after that. I’ve always used 3/8ths as the “almost guaranteed to lose power” threshold and he was getting close to that. Once you get to a half inch radial, it’s pretty much disastrous damage and no power…anything up near 3/4ths or higher is catastrophic. 

Thanks, was that projected in this event? I knew there was a brief mention of it, but didn’t think anything was forecast to rise to that level.

Ice accretion might be the most fascinating winter weather to me. It’s fairly rare and can cause insane amounts of damage. Seeing everything caked in ice is pretty cool.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Thanks, was that projected in this event? I knew there was a brief mention of it, but didn’t think anything was forecast to rise to that level.

Ice accretion might be the most fascinating winter weather to me. It’s fairly rare and can cause insane amounts of damage. Seeing everything caked in ice is pretty cool.

I was skeptical of that much ice where he was but things worked out almost perfectly…he managed to stay around 30-31 prior to the cold tuck the next day and the precip wasn’t very heavy during the whole thing which helps increase accretion efficiency. When you are getting heavier precip, a lot of it runs off and doesn’t freeze, but lighter precip freezes much easier. 

In addition, we had that excellent ageostrophic drain going on…even if he wasn’t getting into the arctic cold tuck yet, there was enough supply of lower dewpoints feeding into his area to offset latent warming (caused by the water freezing on contact). 

Finally, to maximize damage, there was strong winds with the frontal passage with the ice still loaded on trees and power lines. Nasty combo. 

• Like 1

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

I was skeptical of that much ice where he was but things worked out almost perfectly…he managed to stay around 30-31 and the precip wasn’t very heavy during the whole thing which helps increase accretion efficiency. When you are getting heavier precip, a lot of it runs off and doesn’t freeze, but lighter precip freezes much easier. 

In addition, we had that excellent ageostrophic drain going on…even if he wasn’t getting into the arctic cold tuck yet, there was enough supply of lower dewpoints feeding into his area to offset latent warming (caused by the water freezing on contact). 

Finally, to maximize damage, there was strong winds with the frontal passage with the ice still loaded on trees and power lines. Nasty combo. 

Looks like Sunday and Monday might warm just enough to melt it. Imagine tossing 6” of snow on top of that, yikes 

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Kevs yard and hood. No power He was apparently given a time out. Wanted me to post

35160.jpeg

35154.jpeg

34725.jpeg

34724.jpeg

34718.jpeg

34718 (1).jpeg

34716.jpeg

34706.jpeg

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

No wind damage?. Even here without ice shit was falling.  Neighbors driveway about 1/4 mile long, tree fell as Mom pulled in with the kids. I heard it.

20230224_154529.jpg

It was surprisingly uneventful here in Burlington...  We had great ice, but mostly bending birches... Best damage appeared to run from Tolland Cty south and east into parts of New London City...  My peak wind was only 35 mph... I would normally popped 45 mph in similar setups...

Just now, FXWX said:

It was surprisingly uneventful here in Burlington...  We had great ice, but mostly bending birches... Best damage appeared to run from Tolland Cty south and east into parts of New London City...  My peak wind was only 35 mph... I would normally popped 45 mph in similar setups...

You had a good amount of ice too. Usually that would cause a decent number of outages. The wind factor probably helped with the damage further east. 

25 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

You had a good amount of ice too. Usually that would cause a decent number of outages. The wind factor probably helped with the damage further east. 

Yep... We were actually pretty geared up for at least scattered events here and adjacent towns.  Our high elevations that were locked in solid ice normally would roar, but not this time.  DPW guys were calling asking when +40 mph gusts would arrive... They never did!

9 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Kevs yard and hood. No power He was apparently given a time out. Wanted me to post

I was working on a house near Uconn yesterday and there was some pretty big ice just south of him when I drove by the Bolton Lakes where 384/44 meet. There was nothing in the lower elevations by Uconn.