Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 11-12 ULL Winter Storm

Upstate Tiger

1 minute ago, wncsnow said:

March 2009 was a disaster here with downsloping. Less than an inch of snow while Morganton had 4-6 and Shelby had 6-8 or more...

Yeah I remember getting 6 inches and thundersnow out of that one. Places around Gaffney in northern Cherokee and Cleveland county got hammered with near a foot in some parts of the county.

• Like 1

Looks like the GFS may be becoming a bit of an outlier on timing. Looks like it's about 6-12+ hours ahead of most other guidance. Not sure if there's any significance to that or not, just something I noticed. Curious whether the slower timing could allow time for some weak CAD to build in from that 1025-1030 high?

2 minutes ago, SnowDawg said:

Looks like the GFS may be becoming a bit of an outlier on timing. Looks like it's about 6-12+ hours ahead of most other guidance. Not sure if there's any significance to that or not, just something I noticed. Curious whether the slower timing could allow time for some weak CAD to build in from that 1025-1030 high?

I think it’s actually the opposite. I think faster timing gives less time for the upper level cool pool temps to moderate allowing for rates to capitalize on top down dynamic cooling. Slower solutions are showing moderation of temps in the upper levels and thus no cold air available and mostly rain solutions. The HP is kind of a non factor here besides for storm track bc the air associated with it and dew points are just too high to make a difference for freezing/frozen 

• Like 3

Just now, NorthHillsWx said:

I think it’s actually the opposite. I think faster timing gives less time for the upper level cool pool temps to moderate allowing for rates to capitalize on top down dynamic cooling. Slower solutions are showing moderation of temps in the upper levels and thus no cold air available and mostly rain solutions. The HP is kind of a non factor here besides for storm track bc the air associated with it and dew points are just too high to make a difference for freezing/frozen 

This makes sense. I think we kinda want to start rooting for a more progressive system at this point. In general, modeling has slowed down over the past 48 hours of runs.

13 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

That makes perfect sense, thanks. Even when I know better given the setup it's hard to ignore paths to a better boundary layer lol

• Like 1