• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 12-13 Severe and NWFS Event

fountainguy97

Figured we can keep the main topic clean and talk about the weekend here.  

18Z NAM tilted our trough much more neutral vs positive which is really helping to stack up significant qpf across the NW prone regions.  Every tick more neutral will add to totals quietly. Even a good bit of moisture up to 700mb now. RGEM is on board as well. High mountains should see 6+ easily in a setup like this.

298950114_gifsmall.gif.61c695ebd58443c00b03e963bd186e09.gif

2139922919_18z700m.png.67a2608d2f316296e943528303f3c943.png

Should see some thunder as well with temps in the upper 60s, DPs in the upper 50s, and Cape into the 500 range. Exciting weekend ahead!

hrrr.png.b8eb0aff8e4faae54284d39c46c43791.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

@John1122the 18z 3k NAM was decent for your area I think.

It and the 12k are. Encouraging that MRX said this one was actually trending colder and that it should be all snow for everyone except possibly the southern areas. 

They mentioned advisories for my area and Southwest VA. They also mentioned the vorts Holston talked about earlier. These will have the potential why snow squalls that spread into the valley areas the way things look now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Maestrorr said:

What is the thinking for the lower foothills?  I think we're at around 1500-2000' most places around Cooper Gap/Picture Pine in the Pleasant Mountain area of Citico.   Is that too low for snow for this one?

How do you normally do in flow snow set ups? Higher is always better but you need to be in a favorable location for NW flow.  

• Like 1

KTRI could see an inch or so of accumulation. Sometimes these NW flow events can surprise and produce with enough lingering 700mb moisture in the Holston River Valley. That is if the EKY ranges and Clinch Mountain doesn't steal our bands. I'd imagine Holston Mountain, Shady Valley, Mountain City, Erwin and the Blue Ridge province areas like Roan Mountain, Boone, NC, etc. will get a 6+ thumping regardless. I don't think KTRI will get shut out, but I doubt anything more than an inch or two totals.

• Like 3

How do you normally do in flow snow set ups? Higher is always better but you need to be in a favorable location for NW flow.  

Can we get an idea yet on wind direction? Does this look like a typical NW wind direction? I’m not in a good location for NW flow but a little more NNW helps me. I basically need my feed coming from the middle of Campbell Co. if it’s more from Scott Co I’m screwed.

3 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

Can we get an idea yet on wind direction? Does this look like a typical NW wind direction? I’m not in a good location for NW flow but a little more NNW helps me. I basically need my feed coming from the middle of Campbell Co. if it’s more from Scott Co I’m screwed.

Powell, not sure if this is what you are looking for, but you can see the banding which should indicate the winds.  Winds are slightly more WNW prior to this. 

Screen_Shot_2023-01-11_at_9.11.16_PM.png

• Like 2

Powell, not sure if this is what you are looking for, but you can see the banding which should indicate the winds.  Winds are slightly more WNW prior to this. 
Screen_Shot_2023-01-11_at_9.11.16_PM.png

Yes perfect. That streamer up in NE Tennessee is a good direction for me. Or I should say it’s a better flow that the alternative because NW flow is never good in the valley unless there’s a wave to work with.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

Yes perfect. That streamer up in NE Tennessee is a good direction for me. Or I should say it’s a better flow that the alternative because NW flow is never good in the valley unless there’s a wave to work with.

That is 18z BTW.  I doubt 0z changed by much in terms of wind direction.   I am going to try to get up to the mountains(as far as I can safely anyway) to see it.  I hope the ski resorts make out like bandits.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PowellVolz said:

Pure NW flow per MRX. They noted near perfect 320 degrees wind direction. If we can hook up with Lake Michigan that could allow more widespread banding to move into the Central Valley of East Tennessee. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Maestrorr said:

It's a new situation for us, so I'm not sure.  

NW flow tends to be like lake effect snow. You can rack up and a few miles away gets almost nothing. This will be an opportunity to learn more about your microclimate. East Tennessee has more than almost any place in the United States. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

Kinda weird how MRX doesn’t even like the plateau in this setup. Saying in their MFD, that the plateau will likely change back to rain Friday morning.

It's odd. Modeling didn't change but that's literally the exact opposite of what the previous shift said 12 hours before regarding cold and all areas except the far southern valley staying snow. 

• Like 3