Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 12-13 Severe and NWFS Event

fountainguy97

4 hours ago, John1122 said:

Went to Cross Mountain today just west of where it says Caryville there on the map. About 6 to 7 inches of snow there with some 12-15 inch drifts at about 3300 feet. 

Wow ! Radar returns showed that are getting trained. I went to Ben hur( between Jonesville and Pennington gap) and they had received 3 inches. Just a couple miles nw of my home around same elevation. My Total was officially reported as 1.5" but, upon further observation there was 1.8 to 2" further away from house on the Lawn. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Daniel Boone said:

Wow ! Radar returns showed that are getting trained. I went to Ben hur( between Jonesville and Pennington gap) and they had received 3 inches. Just a couple miles nw of my home around same elevation. My Total was officially reported as 1.5" but, upon further observation there was 1.8 to 2" further away from house on the Lawn. 

If not for a couple of melt offs I'd probably have about 4 inches. Half an inch melt off around 10am. Then lost almost 3/4ths of an inch before steady snow finally set in late afternoon/evening. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tnweathernut said:

Not sure they have ever taken the care to make an accurate map……. Which is a shame because at some point these maps would be helpful with similar setups.

Last year they had a decent one and then cut the totals in half on a new map they released later that same day, that one was extremely bad. 

Last year they had a decent one and then cut the totals in half on a new map they released later that same day, that one was extremely bad. 

Yeah… they cut the totals to match their forecast. The issue is there’s no one to call them out on it. The Christmas storm they did something similar but it that case they actually admitted the totals at TYS were higher than what they wrote down in the books. Apparently the NWS has a specific time of day they measure for snow. Whatever that is at that particular time is “official”. The official was 2” but noted at TYS had 3.5” at one time before the official measurement was taken. That makes no sense at all. Seems like they would take hourly measurements for accuracy.

• Like 2

I drove over the Skyway from Robbinsville to Tellico Plains yesterday. Easily a foot of accumulation above 5000'. I couldn't get into any of the pulloffs without getting stuck, but the highway was clear. We descended to around 4300' and got to play in 6-8" of snow at that elevation.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, PowellVolz said:

Yeah… they cut the totals to match their forecast. The issue is there’s no one to call them out on it. The Christmas storm they did something similar but it that case they actually admitted the totals at TYS were higher than what they wrote down in the books. Apparently the NWS has a specific time of day they measure for snow. Whatever that is at that particular time is “official”. The official was 2” but noted at TYS had 3.5” at one time before the official measurement was taken. That makes no sense at all. Seems like they would take hourly measurements for accuracy.

Yeah, it's obvious that's what they're doing. Just don't want average folks to know how bad they missed their forecasted amounts. They do that with the Temps on their city Temp forecast maps and the ones showing previous days high and lows.