• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 12-13 Severe and NWFS Event

fountainguy97

Big time thunder here. You don't often see tornado watches/severe warnings butted up to winter storm warnings and winter weather advisories, but we do seem to get them on occasion.

The lightning is incredible here. Pea size hail for about 30 seconds. The line is still 45 min away

• Like 2

JKL says it best in their AFD this morning. The favored NWF areas will see snow, perhaps a lot of it. Other areas will probably need at least a WWA based on where bands off Lake Michigan set up. If you get one, you're liable to get a few inches, if not, dusting to maybe an inch in their CWA. Right now, they just have no idea where that band may be.

• Like 2

I see MRX just took even their less than .05 in chance of snow OUT of my area in West Knox.  It does seem like we have a better chance of getting a stray band in NWF events when we have a slightly more northern component but who knows? It is hard to get any accumulation in these situations when you are right in the middle of the valley.

C2BD1B03-9CFF-4D54-A61A-C1C825E93AF5.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, bearman said:

I see MRX just took even their less than .05 in chance of snow OUT of my area in West Knox.  It does seem like we have a better chance of getting a stray band in NWF events when we have a slightly more northern component but who knows? It is hard to get any accumulation in these situations when you are right in the middle of the valley.

C2BD1B03-9CFF-4D54-A61A-C1C825E93AF5.png

They just use the model NMB or whatever it's called and pretty much stick to their guns, regardless of actual falling weather.

• Like 3

Likewise, lots of lightning, thunder, wind, and even a Tornado warning here in Hamblen Co. this afternoon. Thunder is still rumbling in the distance off and on. Reminds me really of a summertime MCS where the main line comes through and you just keep getting occasional lightning and thunder for an hour or two later.

• Like 3

Haven’t been able to post since the storms but I must say that was one of the most intense squall line I’ve seen in a long time. There’s trees down everywhere in Knox Co. One thing you don’t see very often is a squall line that intensified after it came off the plateau.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

Haven’t been able to post since the storms but I must say that was one of the most intense squall line I’ve seen in a long time. There’s trees down everywhere in Knox Co. One thing you don’t see very often is a squall line that intensified after it came off the plateau.

I thought the same thing. That line meant business as it came through!

• Like 1

Something noticed on the models last few runs, (outside the Cherohala Skyway, Monroe Co usually doesn't do well in NW flow events..so haven't been following that closely). The Euro/Canadian/RGEM usually pick up on the elevation change fairly well and don't show much for Tellico/Sweetwater/Athens area, but this event they have the 1" line creeping into those areas. Highly unusual, and something to keep an eye on. If they are picking up on something, may be a surprise bust high in the central valley even.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, John1122 said:

The NAM and 3k NAM are very determined for my area. I suspect they aren't handling this well. LeConte probably won't get 6 feet of snow either.  

Exactly. They're showing way more than typical elevation differences. Could be there factoring boundary layer heavier than usual. 

3 hours ago, TellicoWx said:

Something noticed on the models last few runs, (outside the Cherohala Skyway, Monroe Co usually doesn't do well in NW flow events..so haven't been following that closely). The Euro/Canadian/RGEM usually pick up on the elevation change fairly well and don't show much for Tellico/Sweetwater/Athens area, but this event they have the 1" line creeping into those areas. Highly unusual, and something to keep an eye on. If they are picking up on something, may be a surprise bust high in the central valley even.

It looks like the RGEM is picking up the "streamers" a bit better than the NAM, which shows no real evidence of them on the snow maps. Now, even if the RGEM is correct on some streamers bursting through the valley, where they set up is anyone's guess. Places could get blanked, while others could get a dusting to an inch. These things are very hard to predict. 

NAM seems convinced this is a typical elevation event. 

It looks like the RGEM is picking up the "streamers" a bit better than the NAM, which shows no real evidence of them on the snow maps. Now, even if the RGEM is correct on some streamers bursting through the valley, where they set up is anyone's guess. Places could get blanked, while others could get a dusting to an inch. These things are very hard to predict. 
NAM seems convinced this is a typical elevation event. 

That’s what stinks with these streamers is one might be 5 miles wide but there’s 10 miles between it and the next one.