• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 12-13 Thread the Needle Snow Event

Hoosier

I see this thread  lit up with the overnight model runs. Will check morning AFD's for verification.Ah, the all important caveat to hang your hat on:

IT'S IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT THIS SHORT WAVE IS STILL   
SOME 1500 MILES WEST OF SAN FRANCISCO THIS MORNING, AND CURRENT   
MODEL EVOLUTION INVOLVES AT LEAST SOME DEGREE OF PHASING WITH A   
NORTHERN STREAM WAVE WHEN IT REACHES OUR REGION THREE DAYS FROM   
NOW. THUS WOULD EXPECT GUIDANCE TO CONTINUE TO DEPICT SOME RUN TO   
RUN DIFFERENCES IN THE DETAILS WITH THIS SYSTEM, MAKING DISCUSSION  
OF EVENTUAL LOCAL IMPACTS MORE GENERAL AT THIS TIME. 

The ole NW Ohio dryslot hitting hard on this at the moment but it brings Detroit proper in as well. Still a lot of spread, GFS showing a nice Chicago to Traverse City special there. Still not overly impressed with the cold air in place, I think that cuts down snow totals from what the models are showing

A key question with this is how quickly that temps can fall back in the def zone.  With 925 mb temps falling below 0C and some moderate precip rates (if not temporarily heavy), plus being in the middle of January, you would think that it shouldn't be hard to get temps to settle down to around 32-33 in the heart of the band.  But it will be crucial to see how fast that occurs because the window for good snow rates at any given location does not look terribly long.

29 minutes ago, Baum said:

could very well scoot to the south and east. Call me when we get a wound up Oklahoma Hooker in winter. It's been a minute.

It's unreal the streak were on of systems we've seen end up weaker and scoot/slide SE instead of ramping up. I havent paid attention to the systems that have delivered for msp, but i think those ended up weaker even though they've delivered a few 6-12 events. I think with it being colder and better ratios has helped in the snow totals in those msp events. It's gotta be some kind of equations they're inserting in these model updates in the 80-130 hr time frame to have then portray amped up systems 4-7 days out.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

It's unreal the streak were on of systems we've seen end up weaker and scoot/slide SE instead of ramping up. I havent paid attention to the systems that have delivered for msp, but i think those ended up weaker even though they've delivered a few 6-12 events. I think with it being colder and better ratios has helped in the snow totals in those msp events. It's gotta be some kind of equations they're inserting in these model updates in the 80-130 hr time frame to have then portray amped up systems 4-7 days out.

here's the equation::weenie: + :weenie: =:weenie::weenie::weenie::weenie: