Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 15-16 Mixed Bag of Precip

nj2va

1 minute ago, leesburg 04 said:

Loudoun is the same way there's no way kids in Ji's hood in eastern Loudoun should get off school because it snowed or iced in western Loudoun

In a "normal" winter (if we ever have such a thing), there's probably 1-3 days where an east/west split would make sense for a HoCo school delay or closing.  And I think that's just not worth the fight and logistical headache to make that work out.  

4 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

In a "normal" winter (if we ever have such a thing), there's probably 1-3 days where an east/west split would make sense for a HoCo school delay or closing.  And I think that's just not worth the fight and logistical headache to make that work out.  

Same in Fairfax County. Really wouldn't make any sense in the grand scheme of things.

Funny how when I was a kid it was all up to the individual schools - public or private - to make the call on whether to have a snow day!

20 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Given the redistricting experiences I've watched, I'd imagine some very angry people with strange alliances of convenience.  "Easiest" way would be to have the Glenelg HS and its feeder schools separated for these sort of events, but I've seen no major effort to try and do something like the Hereford zone for HoCo.  

its probably easier for BaltCo because its a north/south split vs east/west. The Hunt Valley/Cockeysville area being the cut-off for that zone makes perfect sense. Anything north of there is the Hereford zone, 4 elementary schools, 1 middle, 1 high school. Once you get down to HV/Cockeysville it gets messier with all the districts and locations of schools. 

And as I have learned, it could be 30 and puking snow here while its 35 and rain at work in HV

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

I know when I was a kid in Harford county there was chatter about splitting off North Harford HS like the Hereford zone. As a kid outside that zone, I was of course violently opposed :lol:. Hasn’t happened still.

Ha! I remember that too growing up in AA County. Would always silently curse those in the "hereford zone" and their snow days

If only I had known where my future would lead me :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, DarkSharkWX said:

The best conditions for optimal ice accretion are greater wind speeds(takes away hear from surfaces and advects cooler air), small droplets falling through a shallow melting layer, lower wetbulb temperatures, and lighter precipitation rates(heavier precipitation rates lead to more runoff and less efficient accretion).

This is what a study found about precipitation rate, wind speed, wetbulb temperatures, and how they correlated to ILR. Freezing rain can occur even with temperatures above freezing, but if the wetbulb temperature is above freezing, freezing rain can't occur. The study generally found that wetbulb temperatures between 27-30F, greater windspeeds, and lighter precipitation rates all contribute to more efficient ice accretion.

Here is the link if anyone is interested in it:

https://training.weather.gov/wdtd/courses/woc/winter/fcst-hzds/ice-storm-accum/presentation_html5.html

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Schools in Philly are had a number and would call into a KYW 1060 AM in the morning with their posture (2hr delay, modified Kindergarten, etc.). As a kid, you'd be up at 6am waiting on your number to be called. It was like winning the lottery:

That was my childhood, waiting for 803 to be called.  

Just now, Paleocene said:

it holds frozen through 13z in and around DC. not bad? with that kind of forecast, definitely a 2 hour delay + situation for MD counties.

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

about .4 of qpf IMBY before I hit 33. yay to pouring sleet!

I'm skeptical of that much sleet for areas south of @mappy/ @psuhoffman / @HighStakes, etc.  But we'll see. If my kids can slant stick 0.1" of sleet accumulation I will take it!

Just now, Xeonon said:

Sometimes I hate living in Richmond. You guys just 100 miles north always luck out! I'm praying just to see a flake or two early Thursday morning on my way to work, anyone have any weenie info where I can hope even more for this??

There's not going to be any snow for our subforum's region outside of maybe the northern part of the Blue Ridge area or eastern WV/Garrett County MD.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xeonon said:

Sometimes I hate living in Richmond. You guys just 100 miles north always luck out! I'm praying just to see a flake or two early Thursday morning on my way to work, anyone have any weenie info where I can hope even more for this??

We say the same thing about York and Harrisburg.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Interstate said:

We say the same thing about York and Harrisburg.

Down here in RVA we have this thing called the "Chester Snowhole". It is super irritating especially mid storm when that thing opens up and makes us lose 2-4 inches almost every single storm. I am hoping for another Jan 2016 storm down here, almost 26 inches fell if I remember correctly. Honestly with this system Thursday, I'd be happy with some sleet falling. I think the odds down here in Richmond are less than 15% though. 

9 minutes ago, Xeonon said:

you're welcome to have the sleet. i hate it. 

6 minutes ago, Interstate said:

The worst part about it was they didn't have to make up the snow days.

Right. This year will be different. Balt Co has said schools will have 5 days of actual closures for weather before the switch to virtual learning. For my area, thats great because having to tack on days at the end of year sucks. Last year my kid didn't get out of school until the like 6/20 

Just now, mappy said:

Right. This year will be different. Balt Co has said schools will have 5 days of actual closures for weather before the switch to virtual learning. For my area, thats great because having to tack on days at the end of year sucks. Last year my kid didn't get out of school until the like 6/20 

I am in the same boat... but I voted against virtual learning, first because my kids are still young and I want them to enjoy the snow. Second, I feel like they really get nothing out of it.  Of course, tacking on the days at EOY... is the same... the kids are just there to be there and not learning anything.

3 minutes ago, mappy said:

HoCo doing the first three virtual, then tacking on.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic