Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2022-2023 OBS Thread

Ralph Wiggum

1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Also, has sort if a 2014ish look to the longwave pattern if I remember that season correctly. Had the overrunning pattern and it locked in most of the winter. 

Exactly what it reminds me of as well. -EPO/-AO/+NAO. It's a solid pattern as long as you are set up south of the boundary. 2014 produced high end WWA/low end WSW events over and over again and even the cutters were thumps to rain. Not good for high end events but I think most would enjoy a 2-3 week period of multiple 3-6" type storms over one and done anyway. Just want that ridge out west to set up a bit further east so that we are S of the boundary.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Exactly what it reminds me of as well. -EPO/-AO/+NAO. It's a solid pattern as long as you are set up south of the boundary. 2014 produced high end WWA/low end WSW events over and over again and even the cutters were thumps to rain. Not good for high end events but I think most would enjoy a 2-3 week period of multiple 3-6" type storms over one and done anyway. Just want that ridge out west to set up a bit further east so that we are S of the boundary.

That western ridge is what concerns me as well. Makes sense to be displaced to the left unfortunately as that also fits this repeating pattern progression. Was/am hoping this go round we have climo on our side vs early Dec and late Oct.

17 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Continued positive signs the EPS has the gargantuan west coast troughing gone and replaced with ridging by day 7

Knowing our luck the pattern change will be cold and dry as the Pacific juice factory shuts off :lol:

You know as well as I do 1 of 2 things will happen. A) whatever can go wrong WILL go wrong....whether that be a displaced ridge axis, badly timed SER flex, etc. Or B) we do the complete opposite and enter an epic window of winter. 

Well after a 36 low this morning and 40s most of the day, was surprised at the mid-50s high (56) before round 2 of light rain came in.  It had a spring feel to it and I know some shrubs nearby (star magnolia) have budded and with some blooms as well.

Had 0.03" rain earlier before the sun had come out and then a passing heavier little band blew past about 15 minutes ago, giving me another 0.06" (0.09" total so far today).

Also now getting some convection being picked up by the lightning detector.

Currently light rain and 52 with dp 48.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

They have the right idea, keeps those lights up till it snows, lol. Topped off our tree tonight, different string of lights, but it's ready.

You may have to leave those lights up until next December if we don’t get a pattern shake up :P

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Had a couple thunders. Thundershowers like this in January 2006 led to the February blizzard.

That was a good one. I have video of me and my wife and 2 dogs taking a Jebwalk as that deformation band cranked overhead. And back then, those videocameras werent small enough for your pockets. It's a wonder I didn't destroy the thing and have actual footage! 

1 hour ago, KamuSnow said:

They have the right idea, keeps those lights up till it snows, lol. Topped off our tree tonight, different string of lights, but it's ready.

Looks like drunken college students arranged the lights on the tree...buy hey, it's the effort that counts. And still being up is a bonus.

51F/Cloudy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedSky said:

Had a couple thunders. Thundershowers like this in January 2006 led to the February blizzard.

dynamics breeds more dynamics.... I cannot disagree that we may see wild stuff between now and March.  Something is going to give as the sun angle increases and causes more in the way of temperature gradients soon.

A few showers will pass through this morning as a cold front has just crossed the county. We have picked up 0.23" of rain since yesterday. Temperatures today will fall from our 2am high temp of 52.3 degrees we have now fallen to 46.7. We should see temps falling below freezing by 8pm this evening. Tomorrow will be our first below normal day of the year an first since December 27th. Tomorrow will also be windy. Temps should once again moderate back to above normal by Monday with our next chance of rain arriving Tuesday.
The record high for today is 68 degrees set back in 1932. Our record low is the 11 degrees below zero reading from 1912. Daily precipitation record is 1.34" and our daily snow record is the 6.0" that fell today in 1964.
image.png.825cf923523f1114dbfce3ff9546bdbc.png

From Larry Cosgrove "When you consider that a cross-polar flow is a possibility in this configuration (likely to repeat in mid/late February), you can see the possibilities here. It might take the East Coast cities a while to get involved with the cAk domain, but I am confident that the Interstate 95 corridor will get in on the winter action at some point. The analog forecasts still call for a much milder March. But before we get there, may you live in exciting times."

18 minutes ago, ChescoWx said:

From Larry Cosgrove "When you consider that a cross-polar flow is a possibility in this configuration (likely to repeat in mid/late February), you can see the possibilities here. It might take the East Coast cities a while to get involved with the cAk domain, but I am confident that the Interstate 95 corridor will get in on the winter action at some point. The analog forecasts still call for a much milder March. But before we get there, may you live in exciting times."

If I'm reading this right, rest of Jan is shot. Beginning of Feb is shot. Mid to late Feb maybe? And March blowtorch. Doesn't sound all that good...

51F/Cloudy

5 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

If I'm reading this right, rest of Jan is shot. Beginning of Feb is shot. Mid to late Feb maybe? And March blowtorch. Doesn't sound all that good...

51F/Cloudy

I don't think anyone can say with absolute certainty. Models are struggling 7 days out still. I don't see a shut the blinds pattern at all on the horizon, at least based on overall ens means. So we should still have chances going forward. Problem is, we haven't cashed-in on any chances so far. The SSWE that all models are now showing may have some implications as well. If we get a single 1-2" storm, I think most would take it at this point.

• Like 1