Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2022-2023 OBS Thread

Ralph Wiggum

19 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

If I'm reading this right, rest of Jan is shot. Beginning of Feb is shot. Mid to late Feb maybe? And March blowtorch. Doesn't sound all that good...

51F/Cloudy

Agreed!

"...cross-polar flow is a possibility..."

"It might take the East Coast cities a while to get involved..."

"...will get in on the winter action at some point."

"...much milder March." (Milder than Jan??)

Sounds like LC is saying we could, might, possibly get a 10-14 day window at some point...maybe...if things work out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I don't think anyone can say with absolute certainty. Models are struggling 7 days out still. I don't see a shut the blinds pattern at all on the horizon, at least based on overall ens means. So we should still have chances going forward. Problem is, we haven't cashed-in on any chances so far. The SSWE that all models are now showing may have some implications as well. If we get a single 1-2" storm, I think most would take it at this point.

Yeah, I understand. I was kinda joking. Actually Larry mentioning a much milder March surprised me the most.

Easily take the 1-2" thing...

51F/Windy aaaannnndddd it's cloudy.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Nice strong HP in a place where we want it, in late January, and it's still too warm for 95 :axe: 

I wonder how a deep snowpack in Canada and to our North would have affected things this winter?? Seems those areas have had an historically LOW and late snowpack. It all ties in but I wonder to what extent that lack of snow-cover has hurt us.

Cloudy and 41F, day after day after day

Ground is a mud lovers dream. Going to be tracking the clouds closely the next three days, it's come down to tracking cloud performance in winter 2023.

Saturday

Partly sunny, with a high near 38. North wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 41. North wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

M.L.King Day
Sunny, with a high near 44.
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

Cloudy and 41F, day after day after day

Ground is a mud lovers dream. Going to be tracking the clouds closely the next three days, it's come down to tracking cloud performance in winter 2023.

Saturday

Partly sunny, with a high near 38. North wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 41. North wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

M.L.King Day
Sunny, with a high near 44.

download.jpeg

• Weenie 1

I may he speculating but hear me out:

2016 was a pretty memorable year in this AOR with the big blizzard during the end of January. Preceding that was something else unique; Extra Tropical Cyclone Alex.

Reason I bring this up is because the LP system spinning up off the coast has tropical cyclone characteristics (so Ive read).

Timing around these events is also very similar. Jan 13-15 2016 and Jan 20-22 2016

This is all just observation, superstition, whatever.. BUT even I can understand that Wx follows patterns and there a reason analogs are always brought up.

So, could history repeat itself?

• Weenie 1

In all my years 15-20 yrs tracking models on the internet, I have never seen the GFSGEm and even the Euro so screwed up as it is right now in showing snow totals for our area at the end of the runs.   Absolutely no confidence in anything over 5 days. The last 2-5 days model runs , the 12Z says 12+ and  then the  18Z comes back and says  zippo. Then the 0Z says 4" and the 6Z comes back with zilcho again. Yes I like snow but I also like rain. The primary rain events appear to be doing the same thing as well now. 

I guess I would say if nothing pans out between the 23rd and the end of the month for a major snow event, I will be writing off this winter. Yes I know Feb is our snowiest month but I cannot possibly see any consistent pattern developing on the LR in Feb with these models so wishy washy. 

I want to be optimistic but dam GFS/GEM and Euro throw me a bone and show me 6+ inches of snow in at least 48 hours worth of runs. Sorry for the rant guys but this is getting plain ridiculous to even look at the models over three days looking for LR patterns to develop when we cannot even get consistency from run to run.

• Weenie 1

10 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

And cloudy. 

One other note, aside from a brief window late Jan/early Feb....virtually all modeling is now in agreement for a raging SER and torch Feb before we enter a convoluted and BN March.

This winter has been a disaster. I've given up. I expect anything to be a minimum event. The long term models have been a mess as far as accuracy.

Following the Birds and the Phils just signed Hoskins for another year. Lights still up/on...all good.

30F/Cloudy

spring.jpg

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

13 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

This winter has been a disaster. I've given up. I expect anything to be a minimum event. The long term models have been a mess as far as accuracy.

Following the Birds and the Phils just signed Hoskins for another year. Lights still up/on...all good.

30F/Cloudy

spring.jpg

Super happy to hear they resigned Hoskins. He makes his mistakes but I always feel he came in clutch. Not one of the Bobby Abreu types that would hit a home run when they were already winning by 8 runs.

6z GFS reflects the late Jan window with a weak overrunning reflection and deep CAD signature. We all know it will probably flip and end up sunny and mid 50s but we can hope.image000000.gif.9ead014f1e4456767c5a3b3cdbc38b01.gif

41 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

30F/Cloudy

spring.jpg

It's my fault, guys--I did a stupid thing and bought a fancy-pants, new snow blower last fall. I'm so, so sorry.

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

30F/Cloudy

spring.jpg

Wow.  :o

Didn't expect you to :cliff: so soon! :P

I did make it up to 55 yesterday before the cool down.  Had a low of 30 this morning and it's currently overcast and 31.

CPC had pretty much been honkin' at the above normal temps and norm precip at least from their Dec. 15 outlook but that might be a CA miss if the spigot doesn't shut off on the west coast all of a sudden.

cpc-jan-feb-mar-off01_temp-0142023.gif

cpc-jan-feb-mar-off01_prcp-01142023.gif

A few light flurries have been seen here in East Nantmeal this AM. Today will be mainly cloudy with limited sun. Our temps will struggle to get above freezing especially along the higher ridges in western spots of chesco. Today will be our first below normal day of the year. However, by tomorrow will return to normal to just above temps which will continue for the rest of the upcoming week. Our next chance of rain arrives on Tuesday AM....if it arrives early enough we may see a touch of freezing rain. Wednesday will be the warmest day of the week with highs approaching 50 degrees. Cooler weather is on tap to close out the week.
The record high for today is 73 degrees set in 1932. The record low for today is also the coldest temperature ever recorded in Chester County of 19 degrees below zero - today back in 1912. Of note Phoenixville's all-time record low is also 19 below zero which was recorded on January 22, 1961. West Chester's all-time low reading was the 16 below zero that was twice observed both on January 22, 1984 and February 10, 1934. Record precipitation for today is the 1.78" that fell in 1921. Our daily snow record is the 14.3" that fell today way back in 1910.
image.png.e48c01cc44e6e3cdf066344bd1805d74.png