• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 2022/2023

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

For thr tl,dr  crowd - no accumulating snow through the end February, winds blowing 40 tomorrow and 50 Friday with power outages and trees falling, and staring at the least snowiest season on record for his station. 

So worst-case scenarios continue. At least today feels like spring. Grass is starting to green up quickly everywhere. 

46 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Blizz must be out as he did not post the Feb 28th snow/mix storm on the Gfs. I assumed the GFS was bad looking at posts but not so.   @Itstrainingtimethe 18Z Icon, of all things, starts you off as snow Wed AM.  Buckle up! 

The early next week system is far from being written in stone.

The blocking will be in its beginning stages.

The 18z GFS has the look that the good Euro & GFS runs from a couple of days showed. It has the low tracking to Ohio but then the secondary coastal low takes over far enough to the south to change us from a mix over to snow. The storm then exits to the east off of the coast of NJ.

Still 1 week to go…

C5A4DED5-F94A-4329-BC27-7C358EE4E0BE.png

8FFD8B1C-0FB5-494B-88D2-89D1EA584860.png

1AC019CE-FC3D-4C75-BEAE-0F47753F100C.png

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The early next week system is far from being written in stone.

The blocking will be in its beginning stages.

The 18z GFS has the look that the good Euro & GFS runs from a couple of days showed. It has the low tracking to Ohio but then the secondary coastal low takes over far enough to the south to change us from a mix over to snow. The storm then exits to the east off of the coast of NJ.

Still 1 week to go…

C5A4DED5-F94A-4329-BC27-7C358EE4E0BE.png

8FFD8B1C-0FB5-494B-88D2-89D1EA584860.png

1AC019CE-FC3D-4C75-BEAE-0F47753F100C.png

That looks good Blizz

45 minutes ago, pawatch said:

Well calling for snow and ice Wednesday.

Hey it counts towards my year in total.

35 degrees this morning.

GFS depiction has really trended toward some initial winter weather.  Not counting on much her ebut you might have one of the Winter 22/23 type storms where rain washes away snow/ice. 

image.png.48a06712a8058c356a34fa1ae4ee6851.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Lol, I was busy helping my daughter with her math homework….

Who knew that 6th grade math could be so tough!

i know, 12th grade. Hardest 3 years of my life because of 6th grade math

13 hours ago, canderson said:

For thr tl,dr  crowd - no accumulating snow through the end February, winds blowing 40 tomorrow and 50 Friday with power outages and trees falling, and staring at the least snowiest season on record for his station. 

So worst-case scenarios continue. At least today feels like spring. Grass is starting to green up quickly everywhere. 

things sprouting in the flower beds

39 and foggy this morning. It was thick heading across the GWB

16 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

i know, 12th grade. Hardest 3 years of my life because of 6th grade math

things sprouting in the flower beds

39 and foggy this morning. It was thick heading across the GWB

I did a double take reading this - I thought you moved and were referring to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington_Bridge

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

32 here this Am with some icy spots on the trash can. etc...may be some black ice. 

I've thought about doing some research on black ice. It has seemed to me for years that black ice forms or doesn't form in response to what the weather has been over the previous 24-48 hours. I recall some mornings when the air temp was 34-35 and yet there was nasty black ice due to how cold the ground was from a recent cold snap. Conversely, if the weather has been warm, an air temp of 32 might not have led to black ice since the ground temp would have been warmer. 

It's one of the those little weather phenomena's that I think about each winter when we have a black ice issue. This is the first winter that I can recall without a single instance of black ice. 

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I've thought about doing some research on black ice. It has seemed to me for years that black ice forms or doesn't form in response to what the weather has been over the previous 24-48 hours. I recall some mornings when the air temp was 34-35 and yet there was nasty black ice due to how cold the ground was from a recent cold snap. Conversely, if the weather has been warm, an air temp of 32 might not have led to black ice since the ground temp would have been warmer. 

It's one of the those little weather phenomena's that I think about each winter when we have a black ice issue. This is the first winter that I can recall without a single instance of black ice. 

Yea, it never does seem to fully be the same each time.  I did not see any black ice I just saw some ice on the lights in the flower bed and the trash can.  One un-forecasted thing which happened yesterday was that it got cold and rainy much sooner than forecast.  It was raining during tennis at 4:30, not hard enough to cancel, and the temps quickly dropped into the 40's.   By 6 it was raining hard enough to wet everything. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yea, it never does seem to fully be the same each time.  I did not see any black ice I just saw some ice on the lights in the flower bed and the trash can.  One un-forecasted thing which happened yesterday was that it got cold and rainy much sooner than forecast.  It was raining during tennis at 4:30, not hard enough to cancel, and the temps quickly dropped into the 40's.   By 6 it was raining hard enough to wet everything. 

I did not realize that about the timing of the rain - I drove home at 5pm through a few (literally) sprinkles, but we did not have any measurable precip until after midnight. 

If you don't like the weather at anytime this week...just wait a few hours. A very changeable pattern for the rest of the week. We picked up 0.15" of rain overnight and will see another round of rain this PM. While amounts will be light there could be some thunder and high wind gusts later today with the frontal passage. Colder tonight and tomorrow with more rain arriving tomorrow night then very warm on Thursday with highs well into the 60. Temperatures then fall below normal by Friday and Saturday with a slight chance of some snow on Saturday before warming back up above normal by Sunday.
Records for today: High 77.7 (2018) / Low Zero (1903) / Precipitation 2.49" (1902) Snow 12.3" (1947)
image.png.6f9d8af0491ed027f691ba14ae500d68.png
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

SPC has expanded their margian risk for severe thunderstorms this afternoon in Pa.

HRRR targets the LSV with cells around lunch.  TT not letting me see the model soundings for some reason but graphically it looks like a summer day on the HRRR radar panel.   Temps 48-52 when the cells go through.  

• Like 1