Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 2022

dmillz25

8 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

First 2 weeks look to be above normal.  Question is the last 2 weeks-any further delay in the pattern could lead to an above normal month or if we get a "Warm" NAO block like Dec 1996.

Think that was an El Nino if not mistaken, and Canada was void of cold air.

As long as we do not have the pig in the GOA 1996 will not happen.

1 minute ago, MJO812 said:

Before that

Operational runs are all over

Cmc is way south with the 9-10 storm

CMC is an awful model not sure why anyone looks at it.   And the pattern is not what was modeled a few days ago-changes have occurred and they are not good.   Kicking the can forward most likely which may not be a bad thing if you want snow for the holidays....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

I think Forky is right-look to xmas week and beyond-this will take time to set up...

Totally agree.  If anything of substance - notable cold and snow threat(s) are going to happen it will be from roughly 12/20 to 12/30.  There does remain the risk of not much during that period depending on how things evolve.  I'm leaning toward an interesting period but there are risks that the pattern does not setup and deliver the goods.  At least interesting to watch.

• Like 2

Just now, Brian5671 said:

CMC is an awful model not sure why anyone looks at it.   And the pattern is not what was modeled a few days ago-changes have occurred and they are not good.   Kicking the can forward most likely which may not be a bad thing if you want snow for the holidays....

And the gfs is any better? No one is kicking any cans.

3 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

I'd take the CMC over the GFS though.  Skill scores confirm that.   GFS I find essentially useless beyond 4-5 days.  It has huge swings run to run.  We'll see if the newly released version does any better????

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Yeah for a long time cold air was progged to come in next thursday, but that's not happening. Now the whole week is going to be mild, and overall mid December isn't looking good. 

Wasn't long ago that mets here were saying best December pattern since 2010. Now we're hoping for a better pattern late in the month, which is very long range so who knows. Long range is too difficult to predict to get excited when it looks good a couple weeks down the road. 

• Like 2

Just now, winterwx21 said:

Yeah for a long time cold air was progged to come in next thursday, but that's not happening. Now the whole week is going to be mild, and overall mid December isn't looking good. 

Wasn't long ago that mets here were saying best December pattern since 2010. Now we're hoping for a better pattern late in the month, which is very long range so who knows. Long range is too difficult to predict to get excited when it looks good a couple weeks down the road. 

December 2010 had a temp departure of almost -5.   I didn't realize it was that cold but as Bluewave noted we did not have the warm pool of water off the east coast back then.  That certainly changes the equation....

December and February have been the toughest winter months to get a cold departure since the super El Niño.

NYC

Feb 22….+1.4

Jan 22….-3.2

Dec 21….+4.7

Feb 21….-1.1

Jan 21….+2.2

Dec 20…+1.7

Feb 20…+4.8

Jan 20….+6.5

Dec 19….+0.8

Feb 19….+0.9

Jan 19….-0.1

Dec 18…+2.6

Feb 18…+6.7

Jan 18….-0.9

Dec 17…..-2.5

Feb 17…..+6.3

Jan 17….+5.4

Dec 16….+0.8

Feb 16….+2.4

Jan 16….+1.9

Dec 15….+13.3

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

December 2010 had a temp departure of almost -5.   I didn't realize it was that cold but as Bluewave noted we did not have the warm pool of water off the east coast back then.  That certainly changes the equation....

As Allsnow said a few days ago, I need to see Bluewave on board to get excited. That guy really knows what he's talking about. Tremendously great poster. 

6 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Ugly set op runs today. Going to need improvements in the pac before anything 

Massive block means little when it links up with the SE ridge and strong negative PNA.  It’s very possible we link up the ridges and can go very above normal for the second half of December

1 minute ago, qg_omega said:

Massive block means little when it links up with the SE ridge and strong negative PNA.  It’s very possible we link up the ridges and can go very above normal for the second half of December

I don’t see that but we are definitely not getting a snow look for the east with that -pna 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, ag3 said:

That -pna allows the se ridge to link up with the nao block.

December cancel if that comes to fruition.

I think we see improvements in the pac at some point during the second half of the month. I just fear we waste a good Atlantic before that comes. 

Going to be lots of frustration with several cutters before then 

• Like 2

Just now, MJO812 said:

Who ? Almost everyone all over this forum and social media were saying just the other day how the pattern looks the best in years.

People hear what they want to hear.   The pattern was still in the day 10-15 range which is way out there and subject to drastic changes....

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1