joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2022 Obs/Disc

40/70 Benchmark

9 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

We know 

The angle blows 

The angled trajectory is not the problem - the angle’s happening because of the problem. The models were trying to move the trough around an anticyclonic curvilinear field at continental scales and in doing so they were conserving too much of its potency. I mean that is the conventional physical understanding of these things – that tends to win at the unfortunate loss of what we want.

But you know I’ve been talking about this model magnification stuff for a long time - seems Im the only one who hears my own voice ha ha. No but that was doing that, especially with that Canadian solution. 

And ironically the Canadian solution of 0Z makes more sense for the following morass coming in from the west which by the way ladies and gentlemen that is 13.14.15. It’s just not doing it along an idealized what anybody wants. Delayed being one of those aspects. But it’s really wrapping up across the continent on time it’s just gonna take a long time and smear its way east.  So that part of it is definitely a change in the morphology. Do you know the biggest take away this whole era might just be that the models are still ginormously horrible during blocking periods

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Not for me.  18+ is never anything to poo poo.

I know.....at least what came after that hasn't been matched once since......January 2011 was about as epic as it gets here......still haven't surpassed pack depth from that month....at one point it was almost 3 feet in unshoveled areas and the driveway banks were over 6 feet.....nowhere to put the snow.....month of yore

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

I know.....at least what came after that hasn't been matched once since......January 2011 was about as epic as it gets here......still haven't surpassed pack depth from that month....at one point it was almost 3 feet in unshoveled areas and the driveway banks were over 6 feet.....nowhere to put the snow.....month of yore

February 2015 killed 2011.   I mean BOS recorded 65 inches.

• Like 3

You know I’ve often wondered if that is possible… To get like a solid 12 to 18 inch type of upper moderate lower major snow storm with some wind and then as the storm is moving away, a Norlan trough coalesces in a lag convergence and dumps another 20 inches on top … out performing the cyclone 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, weathafella said:

You had a huge one I imagine because I did.  I don’t care about pack-melt it quickly and start again is fine.

I guess for me the lasting cover makes the winter…..I can’t stand getting 18-24 and then having it gone in a week…..who cares if another 18-24 comes after that….it would have been so much better id the first pack had stuck around